Three Data Sim Still Working (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Last year we bought a couple of 1GB data SIMs to use in a Three Mifi unit for our trip to France. Not used it since then and just checked it out ready for our trip to France in a couple of weeks and find that I can still connect to the internet through it using the original SIM (only 100MB left though). Seems to still work after 9 months and not the 1 month it was supposed to. Anyone else find this?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I agree, very lucky. However, the cost of top-up might be more than a new SIM pre-loaded with 1GB data allowance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
The wife will be getting a 3GB SIM this lunchtime from Argos. Seems to be the most cost effective at £20. Last year the 1 GB SIMs were £10 (but Argos sold them off for a fiver each). Cheapest 1GB SIM I could find is about £7 on ebay.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
The wife will be getting a 3GB SIM this lunchtime from Argos. Seems to be the most cost effective at £20. Last year the 1 GB SIMs were £10 (but Argos sold them off for a fiver each). Cheapest 1GB SIM I could find is about £7 on ebay.
I intended to buy a 3GB 3 month SIM but am now toying with the idea of buying the 12GB 12 month SIM for about £70. It all depends on frequency and duration of trips to France and Spain :confused:

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I wish I went so often that I needed to consider that option! Next year will be different. Only thirteen months to retirement!!

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
You are probably aware that you need to activate the new SIM before you leave UK. You can then pop the old SIM back in the MiFi to exhaust that data before starting on the new SIM. I usually pop the new SIM into my MiFi and boot it up at the ferry terminal to ensure I get the maximum number of days abroad :)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
You are probably aware that you need to activate the new SIM before you leave UK. You can then pop the old SIM back in the MiFi to exhaust that data before starting on the new SIM. I usually pop the new SIM into my MiFi and boot it up at the ferry terminal to ensure I get the maximum number of days abroad :)

Just loaded a new 3 sim into my router (not activated prior to leaving UK) works just fine. Connected seamlessly.

Rob Paula and Pablo

Free Member
Mar 18, 2015
Milton keynes
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Since 2013
i have a mifi and we are of for six weeks to france and spain. So do i have this you can buy your sim here and us the data in france and spain. is it any network or do i need a specific one.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
i have a mifi and we are of for six weeks to france and spain. So do i have this you can buy your sim here and us the data in france and spain. is it any network or do i need a specific one.
It will connect to a local network partnered with Three automatically. You don't need to do anything. There will be places it won't work, but they are few and far apart based on my recent experience and if you go to popular places you should be fine.

However, it can be slow but should be adequate for normal browsing. I wanted to upload a 90mb video today but the Three card said it wanted two hours to do it despite allegedly having a 3g signal. I put a Europasim in the mifi, which is vodaphone, and it uploaded in less than 5 minutes. But the Three sim is still a great deal. Just make sure it all works before leaving the UK, roaming is on and if you have payg your card is registered with them.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Europasim?
Sorry, sounds like an EU affliction doesn't it? Unfortunately, no longer available, but a very useful back up if you have one. I can't remember the cost but it gives 500mb per day for something like a pound or two. Useful for say updating apps or some other data hungry operation if no WiFi available.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Just loaded a new 3 sim into my router (not activated prior to leaving UK) works just fine. Connected seamlessly.
That is interesting. I will take a non-activated second SIM with me next time to use when re-entering France from Spain. I still tend to use a Vodafone.ES SIM in Spain as I find it gives me better comms speed and is about the same cost at 10 Euros for a month with 1GB allowance.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
you lot seem vary low data users, we do still use ours for work emails while abroad and Bev goes into the first phone shop she finds, we buy a mini sim for her ipad, EE 30 euros 8Gb 30 days use it or lose it, we can use that as a hot spot as well for laptops, but we will use most of the 8Gb in three weeks away

we also have a mifi bought last September at Lincoln to take to France / Spain last year, can't remember what sim we put in that but it still worked this May when we went back, that was EE as well

as part of a multi week trip I don't mind paying £25 to have virtually unlimited access, in conjunction with site wifi via our iBoost

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I rang 3 today about loading 3g of data for a month, on a pay as you go sim for £15 in my 3 Mifi.

The guy told me if I get a rolling contract for £15 a month I get 10g of data.

He says as soon as I get it I give 30 days notice - it just costs me £15 and three times the data!

I am off to the 3 shop tomorrow to check!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I intended to buy a 3GB 3 month SIM but am now toying with the idea of buying the 12GB 12 month SIM for about £70. It all depends on frequency and duration of trips to France and Spain :confused:
If you are looking to do so again this year, I've just bought one for £56, from info seen on another thread.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/3-data-sim-offer.123787/

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=570

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
If you are looking to do so again this year, I've just bought one for £56, from info seen on another thread.

Thanks for the info regarding the 12 month SIM at a very attractive price. I still have 7 months left on my 12 month SIM and have also purchaesd a 1 month SIM. I am off to Spain next month and will initially use the 1 month SIM and when that expires switch back to the 12 month SIM. I am one of the few that received the warning text from 3 whilst in France informing me that my roaming would be switched off if I exceeded 2 months continuous roaming. Therefore, this coming trip I will be switching SIMs whilst in Spain :cautious:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I am one of the few that received the warning text from 3 whilst in France informing me that my roaming would be switched off if I exceeded 2 months continuous roaming.
I wonder why only a few received that text, rather than all Three customers who roam abroad?

Cheers,

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I wonder why only a few received that text, rather than all Three customers who roam abroad?

I have wondered whether Three have only been monitoring the 12 month SIMs. I have read that some have been topping up one month SIMs whilst abroad using the Three web site but doing so is relatively expensive. It is a pity that Three have not reduced the price of the 3 month SIM.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have wondered whether Three have only been monitoring the 12 month SIMs. I have read that some have been topping up one month SIMs whilst abroad using the Three web site but doing so is relatively expensive. It is a pity that Three have not reduced the price of the 3 month SIM.
I've topped up my PAYG sim while overseas. It didn't cost me any more than doing it from the UK - I used the UK website after all.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Can I ask please, has anyone using their Feel At Home service whist abroad, had a warning message from Three, advising of a suspension of service if used for more than 2 x consecutive months outside the UK? :(

@Flamenca on another Three Sim thread has had that warning, and is also using the PAYG 12Gb sim.

Cheers,

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I've topped up my PAYG sim while overseas. It didn't cost me any more than doing it from the UK - I used the UK website after all.

I should have expanded on my observation. The last time I made a price comparison it was at least 25% more expensive to top up an existing monthly SIM compared to buying a new SIM with the same amount of data. It is also not always cheaper to buy direct from Three. My last 1 month SIM cost me £5.99 incl P&P compared with the £7.99 asked by Three. Shopping around often saves money but maybe not that easy whilst touring.

Reactions: DBK

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
See post by @Fragle 3 Data sim offer. 3 are doing a 12gb valid for 12 months data sim for £56 (normally £70ish) might be useful for low data users, I like the fact its valid for 12 months. Sorry don't know how to link to the thread (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back