sat nav ?? (1 Viewer)

N

Naughty Nigel

Deleted User
Hi All has anyone any suggestions how I may solve a problem with my sat nav. Because of the overhang over the cab there is no clear sky for the sat nav in the front window. Silly me didnt check when I bought it that it had an external antenna socket ( it doesnt) and we have a problem picking up sattelite signals. We cant afford to buy another for a while and need to use this one in May for a jaunt (our first) to France and Belgium. The only solution we have thought of is to put it in a side window and my dearly beloved sits in the rear shouting directions from the sat nav . Any ideas would be much appreciated. Naughty Nigel and June ( Mrs Naughty Nigel)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
HI Nigel

Not sure what MH you have but I have a Bessacarr with overhang and my satnav works ok. Are you waiting long enough for the unit to pick up all the satellite?

If it has an external socket to take earphones you could get one the the small FM transmitters that are used for MP3 players and send the verbal stuff to your radio from where ever you have to site the satnav for good satallite reception.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Some windscreens have a UV reflective layer that affects sat signals .. have you tried it on the cab door window ?

jat

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Depending on you sat nav you should be able to connect to your computer and download the latest gps fix ,which for my tom tom is a reguler download to improve the satelite signals.

Regards

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I also have an overhang and it takes a while to pick up the satellites. You could put it on the side window but its a bit of a pain when you want to roll your window down.

Jim :Smile:

OP
OP
N

Naughty Nigel

Deleted User
thanks

Thank you folks all excellent ideas and we will try all of them I am sure one will work out for us just cant wait for May to go on a jolly. Regards Naughty Nigel and June

OP
OP
N

Naughty Nigel

Deleted User
ooops

Forgot to mention we have an elderly swift capris

colyoung

Free Member
Oct 26, 2007
Hull
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
7 Years
Hi.I think most newer sat navs have a built in aerial and mine certainly works fine without a clear view of the sky.Some do take a while to get a fix but are usually fine after that.
regards

col:Smile:

OP
OP
N

Naughty Nigel

Deleted User
sat nav

sat nav is a targa from lidl own make not used it in full anger yet but off to Belgium and France in May so will have to try it then . NN

S

stagman

Deleted User
sat nav is a targa from lidl own make not used it in full anger yet but off to Belgium and France in May so will have to try it then . NN

We also will be travelling through France in May .Give your sat nav a good test before going and make sure you have some tidy maps as backup .Might see you on our travels :thumb:

klp56

Free Member
Nov 3, 2008
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr
Exp
Since Nov 08
Tip

We have travelled through France several times, Sat Navs are very good, but be careful if you chose shortest routes, some of the roads are totally unsuitable!!:Eeek:
Have a good time.:thumb:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Newer sat navs should not be affected by overhang. The other day I put mine in my desk drawer no where near a window and heard it telling me to turn left. I had forgotten to turn it off.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Does your sat nav cover Belgium France and Germany totally....I purchased an Acer V200.. 150 Euros over here in France in a Intermarche supermarket and it only covered "FRANCE" lucky for me I also have expensive Garmin £500 what I have had for three years before the Acer but had trouble with the signal getting no satellites, that is why I purchased the ACER, then I purchased a exterior small 1"cube by 3/8” thick magnetic booster aerial from Ebay and the Garmin was fine again it was the window in the Citroen as Jim had mentioned has some kind of metal in it stopping the signal
The beauty about the Garmin I can add and change maps of other countries as it is installed on my computer with mapping .....
I only found about the Acer when I was in England and found it totally useless but perfect in France!!!! Just make sure it has full Europe small villages and towns on and not just the major roads in other countries!!!!!
Mel

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
never have any probs with the paper ones :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: buy a map :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
never have any probs with the paper ones :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: buy a map :thumb:

Very good advice and I'm all for pointing out the stupid things a GPS can do but this run down to the south of Spain has been aided by satnav. Where it scores is difficult junctions and poorly signposted junctions.

We were in a French town, OK I'll admit it, lost, so I fired up TomTom and immediately got "do a U turn". Next junction was the signpost we needed. As long as we were going in exactly the wrong direction all the signs to the right direction are behind us and I can't read signposts in the mirror.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years

Not to handy if your a lone traveller tho :winky:

I have a TomTom (v4 710) with Full europe maps, bluetooth ect (bought for £67.00 from ebay).......only problem is it won't charge in it's cradle even tho the power light comes on.........might have to hard wire it or buy a mains charger and see if that works :Sad:

When it DID work it was great :D

Boo

Boo

OP
OP
N

Naughty Nigel

Deleted User
sat nav sorted

Thanks to all you kind folks who posted but used the sat nav in anger this morning in the mh and it worked fine once it aquired the satelites . I think in fact I am sure the sat nav has all the little places in it, we are, for our first trip, just going to a site near Ypres ( Kemmel) then down to Epernay to try the municiple site there then back to calais fill up with wine then Dunkerke and home. Trembling with anticipation first time driving on the wrong side of the road:Eeek:Naughty Nigel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back