prospective cheyenne buyer needs advice please (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Hi...

We are new to this motor home lark, we are prospective purchasers of an 05 autotrail Cheyenne 14k miles 2 previous owners, we are going to view it tomorrow a private sale, we’ve already had an inspection done by a motor home inspector and there are one or two issues which perhaps experienced motor homers could help us with before we look at it.

1: some front end noise, possibly tyre noise as the road surface was bad

2: reversing camera did not work, seller explained later to me on phone that it was in TV mode and is now working? Is this a possibility?

3: 4 cabin lights could not be tested? No switch seemed to turn them on? Seller wasn’t too sure were the switch is as he never used them?

4: the awning when wound back in sticks a little at the last moment and had to be “helped” into the recess, the inspector thought it needed adjustment

Any info on this van would help us greatly, we can afford it, but we can’t afford to make a mistake asking price is £23k

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

The problems highlighted seem on the surface to be quiet small, the main thing i would ask is some general points not specific to this or any other make are,

Does the layout suit your needs, are the beds long enough and wide enough for you ? do you have to/want to have to make up a bed before you go to sleep ? will you be able to store everything you wish to take with you, this may depend on how long you intend to spend at a time in the MH, is the payload sufficient to allow you to carry everything you want to take.

I am sure there are other questions that you should ask yourself, but these should help

Braunston

Hi...

We are new to this motor home lark, we are prospective purchasers of an 05 autotrail Cheyenne 14k miles 2 previous owners, we are going to view it tomorrow a private sale, we’ve already had an inspection done by a motor home inspector and there are one or two issues which perhaps experienced motor homers could help us with before we look at it.

2: reversing camera did not work, seller explained later to me on phone that it was in TV mode and is now working? Is this a possibility?

3: 4 cabin lights could not be tested? No switch seemed to turn them on? Seller wasn’t too sure were the switch is as he never used them?

4: the awning when wound back in sticks a little at the last moment and had to be “helped” into the recess, the inspector thought it needed adjustment

Any info on this van would help us greatly, we can afford it, but we can’t afford to make a mistake asking price is £23k

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi...

23 k sounds a good price .The reversing camera set up on these vans not ideal I think .I fitted my own as an extra ,but as far as I know the reverse selection should over ride everything .Interior cab lights should be a switch at side of monitor .Interior lights must be a s/w somewhere or perhaps fuse has blown , they do sometimes when a bulb blows.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
See the Judderists threads, is it being sold because of reverse gear judder, has the engine had the new scuttle kits fitted, is the engine bay and engine showing signs of rust?
The other problems are minor a matter of switching, fuses, bulbs etc. Nowt to worry about. The price seems to show a drop of £20k over the last three years, that is some depreciation. Are the rear axle grease points accessible on this model or is this one where Autotrail managed to box them in, a new axle is expensive if they cannot be greased. Once again must advise look to the base vehicle for potential problems not the habitation. £23 is half the price of a new one, why has it dropped to that in just three years. If all is well it is a good price. But do check the Fiat threads on here for more details of potential problems. Note I do say potential not all engines and models are affected. Good luck.:thumb::thumb:

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
Not sure if I have missed something in original post but cant see that he says its a Fiat base vehicle. Didnt they also do a Mercedes base. It may well be a Fiat but what model/date did the problems start, I thought it was after the date referred to. I have a Fiat but previous to the X250 which is apparentely the problem. I agree though that if it is one of the models affected by the reverse gear problem then needs to be looked into further
Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
thanks for your replies,

it is a fiat 2.8 jdt engine and chassis

any more help ?

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
This will be on the old shape Duke so will not suffer reversing judder. As for the reversing camera if it it not switched on it wont work, it needs to be on so that when you select reverse the screen powers up. The camera has a switch in a locker if you leave it on the battery will go flat. The awning on my Autotrail has always needed a little help to close the last inch. I would'nt have thought that this was priced at over £40K new, my Apache 700 was £36K new in 2005 the Cheyenne is smaller so I assume would have been cheaper. The cabin lights on mine have two switches one above the door that turns all 5 off and each has a switch above the lockers. So far I have replaced 2 of the tubes so it maybe a faulty bulb.

If you are uncertain see if you can spend a hour or so sitting in the M/H, it a good way to see if the layout will suit.

Andy

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Just a thought, where do you live and where is the M/H. Maybe a fellow funster could take a look. Do you have a link to the advert ?

Andy

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Just a thought, where do you live and where is the M/H. Maybe a fellow funster could take a look. Do you have a link to the advert ?

Andy

I've had a inspetion done, we off in few hours to view so wont be on for much longer, but nice idea

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
Thanks for the additional info. I have an Autotrail Cheyenne 696 on a Fiat Ducato Maxi 2.8JTD. It,s a six berth with two lounge areas and 23feet. I get 26MPG on a run and 22 on more local trips. The issues you decribe however do sound relatively minor and I would have thought fairly easy to sort out (Famous last words)
Dave

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Thanks for the additional info. I have an Autotrail Cheyenne 696 on a Fiat Ducato Maxi 2.8JTD. It,s a six berth with two lounge areas and 23feet. I get 26MPG on a run and 22 on more local trips. The issues you decribe however do sound relatively minor and I would have thought fairly easy to sort out (Famous last words)
Dave

thanks for the info, the 696 was our first choice, but my wife has a back problem and the high bed put us off, but every thing is a compromise and we tried this unit layout at several dealers before decieding on it.

As this is our first MH moving up from a carvan any help or tips are most gratefull

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
Hi Sebthegecko

The cab lights did not work on our autotrail i checked the fuses all ok.
So i checked the cab light bulbs i removed the lens covers off the lights checked the bulbs both ok.
It was only when i was putting the right lens cover back on i noticed a small switch just in front of the bulb switched it on hey presto cab lights ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Hi Sebthegecko

The cab lights did not work on our autotrail i checked the fuses all ok.
So i checked the cab light bulbs i removed the lens covers off the lights checked the bulbs both ok.
It was only when i was putting the right lens cover back on i noticed a small switch just in front of the bulb switched it on hey presto cab lights ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

thanks for that, I off to view in a few minuettes, was supposed to go yesterday but got called into work..

Hopefully Ill be back on tonight with a big grin....

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
On motorhomes you always get a few fiddly things going wrong but the issues you've highlighted are incredibly minor. The only real thing to look out for is damp and providing your survey gave this a clean bill of health then you should be OK.

I hope you report back.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
just got back 4 hours each way , no van, we are undecieded,

biggest problem was noise, it rattled like two scalatons on a tin roof, I think the worse thing was the table over the cab heading, Im sure with correct padding that could be sorted but there also seemed to be ratles comeing from everywere else , i didn't help that owner seemed to know nothing about the van. is this sort of noise normal for a motorhome, it was the first time we had driven one, (sat in loads )

the passanger seat seemed too high for my wife and shes got long legs, I found the handbrake on the right side a little hard to get used to but I'm with time that would get more natural.

the gas locker catch needed replacing as did the towel holder in the loo, and the fridge lock catch was broken, they owner has not looked after it too well. the whole van needed proffesonal deep cleaning and the outside was marked were he had been driving down very narrow lanes that were overgrown with trees so again a proffesonal tee cut and and polish was needed. All this is sortable but I wanted some money off to cover it , so things are in limbo

good thing was we found the light switch (it was a turnable dimmer) and the rev camra worked.

Im off to open some wine and think it over

S

stagman

Deleted User
:thumb:
just got back 4 hours each way , no van, we are undecieded,

biggest problem was noise, it rattled like two scalatons on a tin roof, I think the worse thing was the table over the cab heading, Im sure with correct padding that could be sorted but there also seemed to be ratles comeing from everywere else , i didn't help that owner seemed to know nothing about the van. is this sort of noise normal for a motorhome, it was the first time we had driven one, (sat in loads )

the passanger seat seemed too high for my wife and shes got long legs, I found the handbrake on the right side a little hard to get used to but I'm with time that would get more natural.

the gas locker catch needed replacing as did the towel holder in the loo, and the fridge lock catch was broken, they owner has not looked after it too well. the whole van needed proffesonal deep cleaning and the outside was marked were he had been driving down very narrow lanes that were overgrown with trees so again a proffesonal tee cut and and polish was needed. All this is sortable but I wanted some money off to cover it , so things are in limbo

good thing was we found the light switch (it was a turnable dimmer) and the rev camra worked.

Im off to open some wine and think it over

If you are unsure leave it .There are plenty of vans out there in that price range Autotrails aswell :thumb:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
A coach built M/H full of all it's equipment will never be the quitist of things on the road. It's all down to how you pack. But as said above if you are unsure walk away.
Why dont you come to P/Borough and talk to some owners there will be plenty of us there. Where abouts are you maybe someone could take you out for a drive in theirs.

Andy

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
I agree with stagman if you have any doubts leave it.
You have to live with it once you have bought it, we took over 18 months
before finding ours and it was worth the wait

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
A coach built M/H full of all it's equipment will never be the quitist of things on the road. It's all down to how you pack. But as said above if you are unsure walk away.
Why dont you come to P/Borough and talk to some owners there will be plenty of us there. Where abouts are you maybe someone could take you out for a drive in theirs.

Andy

yep thats good advice.. I'll go to PeterBorourgh and try to talk to owners, in the mean time I'm off work today so going to go to SYC at Dinnington its not far from me at Doncaster, If any of you are local to I'd find a face to face very helpful

thanks to all for advice...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back