DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If they say it is commercially a success then I suspect someone will buy it. Hopefully.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Its not as if they were massively cheaper than the other two.. In fact DFDS used to be our ferry of choice but they have raised prices so much we have swapped to P & O.
If there is enough room in the market for DFDS to add 30% to their tariffs of two years ago, I really do fail to see where the bell ends of the Competition and Markets Authority body gets any sort of basis for their ruling

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I moved over to MY Ferry last year from DFDS but now they have been scuppered.
Let me get this straight, removing competition is good for improving competition????
Hmmm!

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
The problem is that Ferry Link currently belongs to Euro Tunnel, which means that when the tunnel traffic volume is added to their ferry volumes then Euro Tunnel have a dominant market position.
Ferry Link will be sold and no doubt continue.

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
I booked a return Crossing from Calais end May returning mid June via Direct Ferrys where do I stand ? do these companies allow you to change your booking? or is Non Refundable exactly that and if they stop i loose out?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
They have 6 months and if they find a decent new reason to appeal to a higher court that starts the clock again.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The problem is that Ferry Link currently belongs to Euro Tunnel, which means that when the tunnel traffic volume is added to their ferry volumes then Euro Tunnel have a dominant market position.
Ferry Link will be sold and no doubt continue.

I hope so otherwise it will be the tunnel for us. When Sea France collapsed I sail on P&O and swore never to repeat the trip. DFDS don't sail to Calais (my preferred port).

As I understood it the vessels were owned by Eurotunnel but leased to a co-operative of ex Sea France employees. Who owns the vessel should be of no importance, if it is running as they claim without cross subsidy. UK Rail and Road vehicles are not owned by the operators they are leased from financial institutions.

Daedalus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2013
North Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Perverse decision by the Competition Appeal Tribunal.

With the increased fares as a result of the low sulphur emission regulations coming into being we need all the operators we can get.

We have just had our crossing ( booked last August) to Santander next March, cancelled by Brittany Ferries. Their ship will not be out of dry dock following the fitting of sulphur scrubbers on our sailing date. As we had booked a dog friendly cabin they could only offer us two alternative crossings, neither on dates we could travel.

Booking deposit refunded but no suggestion of compensation of any sort for lost holiday. Not even a discount on any future crossing. Customer service, my a**e.

Reactions: f6c

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
I booked a return Crossing from Calais end May returning mid June via Direct Ferrys where do I stand ? do these companies allow you to change your booking? or is Non Refundable exactly that and if they stop i loose out?
Following this Post (Quote) I e-mailed Direct Ferrys who have replied stating MyFerryLink will continue to take bookings for this year if there is any change all customers will be notified.
So hopefully My booking is going to be OK.

Sep 11, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I've booked my self for mid may so hopefully it should be ok.thanks for the post

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Eurotunnel forced to sell myferrylink by the Competition Commission. Fair enough I suppose, you can kind of see where they are coming from.

In the news today, its been sold to....

DFDS :doh:

Can someone please explain to a thicky like me how that either increases or improves competition?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Eurotunnel forced to sell myferrylink by the Competition Commission. Fair enough I suppose, you can kind of see where they are coming from.

In the news today, its been sold to....

DFDS :doh:

Can someone please explain to a thicky like me how that either increases or improves competition?

Apparently there was another party interested to buy but of course they would sell to DFDS ! Minimizes the competition .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Apparently there was another party interested to buy but of course they would sell to DFDS ! Minimizes the competition .

That's my point, the only reason they were selling in the first place is that the Competition Commission forced them to, to improve competition!

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
That's my point, the only reason they were selling in the first place is that the Competition Commission forced them to, to improve competition!
Well you will vote Tory, there all about the free market and competition :ROFLMAO:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
From the MyFerryLink Website.

MyFerryLink to Cease Operations After 2nd July.

Due to circumstances outside of the control of MyFerryLink we are ceasing operations after 2nd July. We are accepting bookings until this time and hope to welcome you onboard in this period. All bookings for travel after 2nd July will be transferred to another operator, please call us on 0844 2482 100 to discuss options if you have a booking for travel after 2nd July.

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
So, P&O & DFDS will now benefit from myferrylink by being "given" the passengers who have paid to travel

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Not been the best deal for a while, our last 3 crossings have been with P&O we always go with best price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back