Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Harlow
Funster No
MH
Elddis 175 Prestige
Exp
since 2012
my wife has been looking at the Duvalay sleeping bags with built in memory foam mattress. At £100+ each they aren't cheap and would like to see if it is worth the investment. Does anybody know of shops that sell them or has one and can advise if they are worth the money.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Lots of threads on this chestnut, for me, I got one for the Mrs Moo and it considerably swung her opinion of MY, now OUR baby, (the van). She sleeps better in the van than at home. The fresh air and adventures may help but any way she loves it, the duvalay as well. ;)
No one grudged the cost more than myself (Aberdonian, now ex communicated ! ), do buy the bag to roll it up into, to stash it away. You may as well, it is only money. I sleep well anyway, but I am tempted to get one for myself.
So a guarded yes vote (y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have answered this one on another similar thread. I think I am the only one who think they are rubish not just over priced. I wish I had stuck with a double duvet doubled over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
It's unbelievable how two people can have such completely opposing opinions of a product! We think they are up there with sliced bread in the most wonderful thing ever invented category, and wouldn't criticise them in any way. The price is fair for what you get (if you buy during Duvalays annual sale or at a show), and they are soooo comfy. Don't worry though, you don't have to deal with scary Hilary Devay at any time if that's what puts people off......

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
You will get differing opinions on this subject; do a search for douvaly on MF to see what I mean. For us, they are brilliant and great value for money but obvioulsy subjective as with all of the other replies you will see. But do take into consideration the space they take once rolled up. We have plenty of space under the OS bench seat so that is their home during the day. Many don't roll them up but instead put them on the overcab bed if available. If you do choose to buy and want to roll them up, buy the bag as recommended by Moodbrook. Good luck with your decision (y)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We bought two. The ones with the summer and winter weight quilts, with the straps and storage bags included. We've only used them for one weekend So far, So the jury is still out, if I find them better than a quilt.
I don't think they are worth the money. Can't see how they charge so much for them. The memory foam inside looks no better than the cheap ones you can buy at lidl. In fact it's covering is worse.
Wish I'd looked at them before we invested. I'd have made our own.
I suggest looking at a duvalay, first . Definatly.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Your right, it's been done before, the search link shows 148 hits to date. If you counted the views on the threads then a lot of people see the name duvalay. If no publicity is the only bad publicity, then the dragons den lady could offer a £10 to everyone starting a duvalay thread. I reckon she would make a fortune.
Broken Link Removed
You get two responses in all the threads, they are the bees knees and worth the cost, or you have time and sewing skills to make your own and would never buy one.
What I would like to see is one one who can make and sell similar for half the price.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You get two responses in all the threads, they are the bees knees and worth the cost, or you have time and sewing skills to make your own and would never buy one.

or a third response from me.. .. what problem do they solve.. or a solution to a problem that doesn't exist ?

sleeping bags, however fashioned, are for camping in a tent.. been there, moved on..

Motorhome Muppets

Free Member
Dec 1, 2014
Nr Uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Love ours. Although we have the straps and bags to put them in, we find with just rolling them up and putting them on the overcab bed, they keep tidy and saves some faffing about - bed made in seconds.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have the mattress toppers and for us they have been worth the money. We have a PVC so the beds are made from firm seats, tried the double duvet and also cheap memory foam from Dunelm and this is much better. I would not like the sleeping bags. We leave them rolled out otherwise storage would be a problem. Double fitted sheet on top and then Two thin quilts. We dont find they slip apart and still have the option of two singles if we are just on an overnight stopover.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Having looked at & tried lots of toppers do think that Duvalay foam in its thickest & most expensive Gold version mattress topper is the best that we have found. We have this mattress topper on our bed in the motorhome as could feel the steel frame slightly before but excellent now. Also have one of these on our bed at home for extra comfort & have another ready for our son for Uni as terrible beds with no padding at all that we have visited! These were all bought either with online or Show discount as we need to get the best value for our money.
If we had to replace the motorhome mattress we would consider a Duvalay mattress as think that it looks like an improvement on the original & not cheap but then no need for a topper. Their bespoke shape service at a bit extra cost takes a long time but is done well.
The sleeping bag version is a useful item for certain applications but prefer a topper & a duvet as not keen on polyester cotton - think they miss a trick there not doing a deluxe version. It is disappointing that the extra covers & accessories are so expensive with little or no competition on prices.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Bought ours to use on the single sofas in a U-shaped lounge, pulled out 100mm they helped make a good single bed, saved us making up a double bed with all that entailed and we could both get out at night if necessary. Found them very comfortable and since we've now got a fixed bed they only get used on the floor at home if we have too many for sleepovers.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We used a mattress topper in the last van, but now we have a PVC we just use a double duvet on the bottom, and a king size on the top. Lovely and comfy, easy to make the bed up, and takes up far less room.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the novelty wore off the second time i had to change the covers; what a pain in the provebial. the extra covers as one is of little use if you are away for more than a short time.

so we then "progressed" if thats the correct word to using the foam as a mattress topper with us going back to the normal quilts, simple.

Now they are rolled up in their bags in our spare room been there for several months now.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Its like a tight trouser baggy trouser argument.. Some like baggy some like tight.. Some will like them some wont.. Specially if the have tight pockets in them trousers ...............:)

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I bought one for my wife when they first appeared on the market and I was so jealous, they are so comfortable and easy to set up so when we got our motorhome I also got one, the fact that one side is open unlike a sleeping bag means if you gets too warm you can open it, just the one criticism is the material used is quite thin and easy to damage. We found using two beside each other was not working for us so ended up with a traditional duvet. They are very good but they are not worth £100, about £60 would make more sense.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
The cover comes off thanks to a zip along the mattress section then washed as a duvet.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Fitted sheet & proper duvet for us every time. Hate sleeping bags, when we camped we had the type that zip together to make one big one.

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Sleeping bags have there advantages, the wife can't keep kicking you back into your 1/4 if the bed :xrofl:

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
We have rear fixed single beds so we bought 2 and used them 3 or 4 times. They are comfortable but I found the mattress too narrow and they are a pain to get back in the covers after they have been washed. We went back to fitted sheet and normal duvet. I should put them in the for sale section at some point but posting them could be very awkward.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We have rear fixed single beds so we bought 2 and used them 3 or 4 times. They are comfortable but I found the mattress too narrow and they are a pain to get back in the covers after they have been washed. We went back to fitted sheet and normal duvet. I should put them in the for sale section at some point but posting them could be very awkward.

spot on; we have fixed singles also same issues.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We use two single matress toppers we got from Dunelm (which come in good storage bags) and find them really comfy with a bed sheet over the top.

They pack quite small and we manage to get them, the quilt, the bed sheet and a couple of pillows under one bench seat

They virtually eliminate the delves caused from where the seat cushions fit together

One of the best purchases we've made for our MH at around £30 each

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back