Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
I have the above system 6 months old, before I left spain last week all worked ok.But now wont find astra 2.Have read on ten haft site that due to astra sat changes oyster may not lock on and to ring oyster for the fix.As I am travelling and cant phone does any one know what I need to do to fix it, it has the latest updated software.
Thanks

Henrym

Free Member
Jan 18, 2011
S Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
Exp
18 years
UK free to air channels are transmitted in a restricted Sky UK area - little larger than the UK.
In Spain, you can get Sky channels, including Sky News.

However, you may have a different problem, dish won't lock on to Astra 2 at all. This is because of transponder changes made in mid April. I can lock on to Astra 1 but not Astra 2. I am told there is a solution - can anyone help please?

Last edited:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
We are currently in the south of France near Agde, until yesterday we were able to receive BBC and itv on our Oyster system. The signal weakened in the morning and completely disappeared later, in fact the dish could not find astra2 at all just kept spinning.
I have changed the transponder settings as per Las instruction and it locks on but no BBC or itv. There is some ambiguity in the instruction regarding transponder 0 as it quotes 2 different frequencies.
I shall interested to see how hogan7777 gets on

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
It appears that the channels on the UK beam (BBC ITV C4s FIves) have over the last few days weakened.
A few reports of areas previously with these channels, are no longer getting them.
Even so, as long as you use an active transponder, the dish should still be able to lock on tot he satellites, and should still be able to receive the other stronger channels.

Over the last few weeks some transponders have changed their FEC and Symbol rates.... so if your systems are using 12207 v 27.5 2/3 (the sky news frequency), then this is no longer a valid frequency, as it is now 12207 v 22 5/6. Hence why systems are not locking, as they are using frequencies that are no longer valid,.

I personally have seen a small drop in signal, but channels are still coming thru on my 80x85cm dish here

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
SatandPcguy cancyou tell us what the best transponder frequencies are for an Oyster system transponders, is the Las advice current.

Thanks in advance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Is it just me, or does all these sound like a conversation that E.T would have.
We are having Jacksons fit wifi to our dish, as well as the Sky TV box, and I just hope that it all works well in France next week.

If it doesn't work SWMBO will blame me, and I can't see her understanding the ' technical jarkin' either.

I just wish I could understand and appreciate all this advice and help, and I am really jealous of those who both understand it and spent time on this site helping others.

OP
OP
Hogan7777

Hogan7777

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
We are currently in the south of France near Agde, until yesterday we were able to receive BBC and itv on our Oyster system. The signal weakened in the morning and completely disappeared later, in fact the dish could not find astra2 at all just kept spinning.
I have changed the transponder settings as per Las instruction and it locks on but no BBC or itv. There is some ambiguity in the instruction regarding transponder 0 as it quotes 2 different frequencies.
I shall interested to see how hogan7777 gets on
I have moved further north and away from trees and locked onto astra 2 I have made notes of sat and pc guys transponder changes so if I have any more problems I will change to the new transponders.
Thanks for all your help.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
SatandPcguy cancyou tell us what the best transponder frequencies are for an Oyster system transponders, is the Las advice current.

Thanks in advance
UK TV channels come from about 106 frequencies / transponders.
Which you use depends which channel you select.
And reception depends where you are and your size dish.
As those transponders are spread over 3 satellites and "uk" and European" beams.
So the best transponder for Sky News SD is 12207, as that is the only frequency that channel is on.
BBC channels are over 4 or 5 frequencies, as are ITV.
C4are on three
Fives are on two.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
BBC is back this morning albeit at a weaker signal. After chatting to a few people it seems that even those with larger dish fixed systems lost UK channels on Saturday.
I have changed one of the transponders to the new sky frequency and the auto searchs seems to finds astra2 much quicker than it did.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Satandpcguy Although not Oyster and not automatic, once I have manually lined up and tuned in to Astra 2E, do I need to make the transponder adjustments to my receiver (Technomate) to cater for the recent changes you mentioned above, or will a new or blind search, pick up the relevant programmes?

Thanks,

Jock. :)

karl c

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
when ours gose like that ,I set it to find Hotbird first after its locked on I then change to astra 2

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
@Satandpcguy Although not Oyster and not automatic, once I have manually lined up and tuned in to Astra 2E, do I need to make the transponder adjustments to my receiver (Technomate) to cater for the recent changes you mentioned above, or will a new or blind search, pick up the relevant programmes?
Some receivers do the FEC automatically, but still the Symbol rate to be changed / updated.
When doing a scan on your receiver, simply make sure NIT / Network Search is on, as that will update the receivers frequency tables, with any new active frequencies found on the satellite.

BBC is back this morning albeit at a weaker signal. After chatting to a few people it seems that even those with larger dish fixed systems lost UK channels on Saturday.
There are reports from areas of France, Germany, SPain that do indicate the satellite had some signal issue on Friday / Saturday, but sunday and MOnday all seems to be back to normal again.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Some receivers do the FEC automatically, but still the Symbol rate to be changed / updated.
When doing a scan on your receiver, simply make sure NIT / Network Search is on, as that will update the receivers frequency tables, with any new active frequencies found on the satellite.
Many thanks for that. (y)

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back