Full Water ?? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
In a couple of recent threads relating to motorhome weight , many stated carrying "full water" , why ?
Every gallon uses 10 pounds of your payload and costs you fuel.

If wilding , yes I understand, but when using sites , why not fill up when arriving.

I never carry full water even though I have stacks of spare payload, I see no point.
We boil all water from tank and carry a 1 gallon container of bottled water for drinking cold.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
I agree, wilding full, everything else, just enough to keep the system pressurised.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never travel with much. Usually about enough to fill the kettle a couple of times.
We've never had an issue with filling up.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I get your point, Bro.... (y)

We have the payload,,,, but what I hate is making a cuppa Tea or Coffee and finding limey scale like stuff floating about..

And not to mention the kettle furring up...

What is the inside of the boiler like... :(

Hence we alway`s have a tank full from home and some in a 20 litre container... for more than a week`s trip,, and buy bottled water for hot drinks and cooking if we run out of our own..

In nearly 3 years we have never had to descale a kettle at home... pure as the driven snow our water... (y)

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

We have the payload,,,, but what I hate is making a cuppa Tea or Coffee and finding limey scale like stuff floating about..

Hence we alway`s have a tank full from home and some in a 20 litre container... for more than a week`s trip,, and buy bottled water for hot drinks and cooking if we run out of our own..

In nearly 3 years we have never had to descale a kettle at home... pure as the driven snow our water... (y)

Our water at home is hard as nails , so water from anywhere else would be better and softer for us (y)

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005

The water here in Somerset is very hard and doesn't taste good !:unsure:

We have a super dooper water filter fitted to a separate tap on the kitchen sink so wherever we fill up hopefully the water is filtered.

I wouldn't mind some of your lovely Devon water though.

Regards

John P(y)

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The water here in Somerset is very hard and doesn't taste good !:unsure:

We have a super dooper water filter fitted to a separate tap on the kitchen sink so wherever we fill up hopefully the water is filtered.

Regards

John P(y)

It's sweet because it comes from all the dairy grazed fields into the water system :Eeek:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

I will send a few pint`s up each day.. (y)

And guarantee it will be passed by me.... :wink: :rofl: :rofl:

Going to miss it when we move... :(

Back to thick lime scale.... :sicker:

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Travel full.. that's what it was designed for.. otherwise you only need an Aquaroll .. ;)

it saves faffing about looking for a fill up when you arrive on site

Even at the risk of travelling overweight, could be expensive water.
As I opened the thread, full water often quoted on weight issue threads.
If using sites, I have found water readily available and often on pitch.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Even at the risk of travelling overweight, could be expensive water.

that being the case, the van's not fit for purpose.. but then again.. many aren't, pitiful payloads.. irrespective of water carried or not

it's down to the buyer to check payload and if it's overweight when full of fuel, food, water etc.. don't buy

we also use mainly aires and as mentioned, even if working, not all provide it free ..

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
that being the case, the van's not fit for purpose.. but then again.. many aren't, pitiful payloads.. irrespective of water carried or not

it's down to the buyer to check payload and if it's overweight when full of fuel, food, water etc.. don't buy

we also use mainly aires and as mentioned, even if working, not all provide it free ..

Wouldn't say not fit for purpose Jim, many on this forum, me to be included have a 3500kg gvw limit and full water would in most cases take them unnessessarily over their gvw .

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
I will send a few pint`s up each day.. (y)

And guarantee it will be passed by me.... :wink: :rofl: :rofl:

Going to miss it when we move... :(

Back to thick lime scale.... :sicker:

Thank you for your very kind offer Mo and I'm in no doubt that you mean it:roflmto:

Looks like a water filter will be the first thing fitted in Judy's new kitchen.:smiley:

Regards

John P(y)

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Wouldn't say not fit for purpose Jim, many on this forum, me to be included have a 3500kg gvw limit and full water would in most cases take them unnessessarily over their gvw .

Agreed, @Larrynwin . The payload on my Hymer is just short of a ton, generous by most standards. But if I travel with a full fuel tank (100 litres) and a full fresh water tank (170 litres) that's a quarter of my allowance gone even before I add passengers, food, clothing and equipment. And folks mention economy, but I've not seen any mention of possible handling and stability issues.
Stef.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hymer state MIRO including a full water tank and 90% fuel, so if your stated payload is almost a tonne, that should be after taking account of a full fresh water tank.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I like hard water! It may be a bit harder to get a lather when you wash - but it makes far better tea and it's much nicer to drink, neat !

I married a Birmingham bloke - born virtually up the Holte end - and we had bought a house in Kidderminster. Within 24 hours of living there he commented that he had to use far less toothpaste as it wasn't necessary to use a lot in order to take away the disgusting taste of the tap water.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Always travel with fuel and water tanks full, unless we are heading for a fully serviced pitch, not sure it makes a massive difference to fuel ecconony, but a massive difference to convenience.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We travel full, I hate that faffing about on a site or rally field when you first arrive. @Larrynwin do you fill your fuel tanks or keep them under half to save fuel?

I fill LPG and 1/4 plus petrol for starting and genny, no payload problem with RV.
I start out with 1/4 full water , don't see the point in carting 130kg of water around when I can get it on site and dump it on site. @Jim

My point was however that a 3500kg gvw payload of maybe 500kg or less would be more than compromised by a full water tank weighing perhaps 120kg.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We travel with water a third to a half full which is plenty for us. If staying on a site for a few days will fill up when we arrive so we don't have to ferry water.

We do empty grey tank and black cassette before leaving a site (yes as directed by the owner / warden not in the hedge!) just in case we end up somewhere without facilities.

I've found it easier to get water than to empty tanks :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back