AVG free keeps crashing, any ideas (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Happening more frequently now

AVG free version keeps crashing and saying it has to close.

Internet explorer doing the same.

Nothing showing on scans except tracking cookies which I regularly delete

Anyone got any ideas please?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Tracking cookies should be automatically deleted, mine are. So am guessing you have not updated to AVG 8. You need to do so right away, as AVG7 stopped updates some time ago and you may well have a virus or worm.
Downlod and instal AVG8 (free version)

walnut

Free Member
Dec 7, 2008
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E495
Exp
Try Comodo internet security, free and less bloated than AVG.
Swapped from AVG to Comodo about 6 months ago and been fine, includes anti-virus, firewall and malware blocker in one package.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Tracking cookies should be automatically deleted, mine are. So am guessing you have not updated to AVG 8. You need to do so right away, as AVG7 stopped updates some time ago and you may well have a virus or worm.
Downlod and instal AVG8 (free version)

hi roger.....we're now up to AVG 8.5 free. time to download again.:winky:

surest way is to remove the program and all files and download the latest version whether you already have it or not.

dont fix it....bin it and start again.:thumb: after all it is free.

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
wouldnt let me uninstall avg to start with but now done

have upgraded to 8.5 and will see how it goes or change as suggested

many thanks to everyone xxxx

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
AVG free version has run ok for me (so far!). :RollEyes:

I used Zone Alarm for a few years but when i had to renew my hard drive, on installing the os i never got ZA to run successfully again and gave up after several attempts and went with AVG.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Up graded to 8.5 free version but cannot download the updates. Says get updates for anti virus and anti spyware which it trys to do but doesn't seem to finish although says it has but still says out of date. Always been ok before and I have rebooted pc.
Any ideas ?
Thanks

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
AVG 7.5 free here - solid as a rock. I'll bet it's something else causing the problem.

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Up graded to 8.5 free version but cannot download the updates. Says get updates for anti virus and anti spyware which it trys to do but doesn't seem to finish although says it has but still says out of date. Always been ok before and I have rebooted pc.
Any ideas ?
Thanks

I had this too, I can only get the updates if I totally disable the firewall

D

dutchy

Deleted User
Antivirus

Avast is the dogs doo daaas and its free
its miles in front of the rest
I fix pc's and myself and all my associate's use this by choice
not much gets past this
Give it a go:thumb:

Sunty

Free Member
Dec 10, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Swift Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2002
Have had similar problems with AVG 8 but having deleted and re-downloaded three times it now works fine - been going OK for 2 months. Arthur.

S

Starman

Deleted User
Hi i had nothing but trouble with AVG & it's uploads so scapped it. I now use AVAST free addition had no problems in over a year
mick

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The person who has deleted Zone Alarm needs to check whether he has a firewall because AVG doesn't have one. You need either to switch on the Windows firewall if its Vista but don't use any other Windows one as it is suspect.

I run AVG with Zone Alarm with no problem on my desktop but much prefer Comodo on my laptop as it has a built in firewall.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
For those that are having problems installing/uninstalling, follow the advice given here

download for avast (free) click here

avira Antivira (free) Link Removed

They are all good, best of all free for a long time avg has been the one for me and can honestly say had no problems with it , it does ;however seem to use a fair bit of memory when scanning.

Avast is also good ;but for some reason didn't like it , don't get me wrong it does what it say's on the tin.

I am currently using avira Antivira, also highly recomended and is less intrusive than avg.

Sometimes a stand alone antivirus can be better that those that come with email /resident sheild etc.

As a rule of thumb

Only
one antivirus
one resident sheild
one firewall

or a combination of all

Personally i have a antivirus and an antispyware

I do not have a standalone firewall window is useless ;but use only the built in firewall of the router.
Hope this helps

Regards

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I have used AVG for years with very few problems, for some reason though AVG 8.5 stops all my browsers (IE, Opera & Firefox) working & also my Outlook email. Other programs such as Emule & updates would still work. I only found out it was the new version by uninstalling it, when I did everything worked so I tried a freshh install & it all stopped. I have now downgraded it to a previous version & everything is OK but it still says the version I have is 8.5 :Eeek:

If anybody does install an update & has problems there are some previous versions of some programs here Link Removed

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Am downloading avast and will delete avg and see how I go with that

Sinbad will I still need zone alarm firewall with avast?

many thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have used AVG for years with very few problems, for some reason though AVG 8.5 stops all my browsers (IE, Opera & Firefox) working & also my Outlook email. Other programs such as Emule & updates would still work. I only found out it was the new version by uninstalling it, when I did everything worked so I tried a freshh install & it all stopped. I have now downgraded it to a previous version & everything is OK but it still says the version I have is 8.5 :Eeek:

If anybody does install an update & has problems there are some previous versions of some programs here Link Removed

Grisoft have said they wont be issuing anymore updates for AVG 7.5 in future.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Am downloading avast and will delete avg and see how I go with that

Sinbad will I still need zone alarm firewall with avast?

many thanks

As have said its better to only have one firewall as i understand avasts firewall is pretty good and so is zone alarm.

Think i would tend to keep AV avast and firewall ;but whichever you choose dissable the other, windows firewall is useless (although a little better with vista) so this needs turing off.

Remember some routers come with their own built in firewalls and thats the only firewall i have ever used.

Remeber one of each or you run the risk of conflict .

The best protection for your PC is common sense.

Regards

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Just back on since uploading AVAST

Really interesting.

It advised me that there was a conflict with zone alarm and asked if I wanted to delete the conflicting element which I agreed to.

So I just wonder if they sort of work hand in hand.

Seems so far to be working okay. Pages take a little while to appear but havent run 1st scan yet.

Emailed AVAST to see whether I should keep or delete regcure registry cleaner.

Many many thanks Sinbad will update this soon

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I'm back with AVG 8.0.176 & it seems to be ok. I did put the earlier version of version 8 but it somehow decided to upgrade it to 8.5:Doh:. When I tried to get on the web today none of the browsers could access it. I will maybe have a look at avast if I get any more problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back