Warm Welcome At Parc Verger ?. (1 Viewer)

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi . At the risk of upsetting many Funsters who have been singing the praises of Parc Verger I have to tell the following . We were cycling in the area from our aire 8 km away from Parc Verger and decided to pop in and have a look with possibility of staying for a while . As we approached the entrance the gate was open and we saw that there was a curtain across the door for the reception with a note on it . In true french style we assumed it to be closed for lunch . We cycled a bit further just to have a look of the site when a female camp commandant appeared shouting and gesticulating wildly "YOU CANNOT JUST COME HERE YOU HAVE TO SEE ME FIRST " Husband replied saying"Sorry we saw the sign and thought you were closed for lunch we just wanted to have a look and see availability . Camp commandant replies angrily "WE ARE NEVER CLOSED! " Husband cycles away and tell the Campcommandant " I am sorry but I will not deal with anyone with such bad attitude ! End of story . Maybe she was having a bad day but a simple "Hello can I help you " would have been a better response .

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Must have been having an off day... like we all do some times...:)

Not an excuse, but the only one I can think of......... usually a very warm welcome from Bob & Di when you visit.. (y)

Or perhaps if the new owners have taken over the new owners will have a lot to get their head`s round..

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Well well well...... I am the warden of a stadium and this is all I can say:

On the main wall at the entrance of the stadium is written PRIVATE STADIUM , do not enter, identity checking can be done anytime.

This is in big letters.

Some people coming on the stadium seem to have reading problems.
When they don't get caught (by the warden..... ME!) they just come back and take it for granted they can come in and out when they want.... If I then catch them, smiling and indulgent, they say "oh ok" and turn back......NO it's not finished..... THEN as soon as I'm away they come back in. It happened again just 2 days ago and JJ was there lol ! So then what do I do?
I give a b***** shout! " OI ... what do you take me for hey? OUT right away!"
Yes I sound rude and a heartless woman then! Thing is, unrespectfull people always think they can do whatever they want to, and then when harmless people , nice , polite and all, do about the same but with different thoughts in mind, SOMETIMES... the warden (that one hasn't changed ...it's still ME!) is too fed up to try and make the difference, and will shout just the same .
It might only happen every 200 hundred people, but it does happen! Having a bad day happens to everyone and may be at Parc Verger the day before you popped in, some other people tried to sneak in. I know it is not an excuse, but indeed it is an explanation!
Sorry it happened to you, but french people can be so rude at times, I can understand it drives mad some poor English people who can't really express themselves the way I would in FRENCH!

I like Bod and Di very much, and I can only think of such a case to explain words they probably have regretted the next minute (IF it was Bob and Di.........!)

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
It is still Bob & Di when we left on Monday. From memory there is a clear sign saying all visitors must report to reception, there is a bell and one of them is normally there. If you just wandered onto the site we are currently on ignoring all signs, you would get the same response, probably worse.
Sorry, but what did you expect.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
It is still Bob & Di when we left on Monday. From memory there is a clear sign saying all visitors must report to reception, there is a bell and one of them is normally there. If you just wandered onto the site we are currently on ignoring all signs, you would get the same response, probably worse.
Sorry, but what did you expect.

I absolutely agree.

It is just courtesy to let the management know you wish to have a look around the site.

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi . I have no idea who the lady was . As we all know from past experience many French campsites can have a fairly relaxed attitude to reception opening times . Many times we have arrived on a site and had to walk around the whole site in search of anyone in charge finally just to be told to take a pitch and wait for the reception to open . I guess we just assumed this to be the same . What got to us was the aggressive manner of treating us as intruders instead of potential customers .

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
I 100% agree with Jim,, All customers should be treated with respect as THEY are your bread and butter, and the best sort of advertising is from word of mouth, also common courtesy should demand a polite excuse me, can I help you, and not to be like a tyrant???!!!!!!!!, don't matter what type of day you have had, courtesy at ALL TIMES, Unless shown discourteous conduct by the customer in the first place.
I would have said exactly the same as this potential customer but with NO FINESS, and would rather drive another 50mls down the road to stay in a more courteous site. I understand they have the security of all the other campers as well but talking like this to ANYONE without due cause it just down right ignorant, remember
" Courtesy costs nothing, ignorance costs everything"
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Let's just look at this from another angle, shall we?

Let's imagine it wasn't you, but a couple of ne'er do well Tea Leaves, casing the joint to assess the best vans, places to get whatever was on their shopping list that day. That woman there for instance, loaded with jewellery - she must take at least some of it of when she goes for a shower, and judging where the ablutions are situated, we could be in and out of that Bloggs and Smith motorhome which we know from prior experience are dead simple to break into quietly, in under 30 seconds. So we'll come back (whenever) and wait behind that tree/clump of bushes, we can park the getaway car in the lane (where we've already clocked a likely spot) and that will be that.

Oh and the bloke next door has a rather new looking electric bike! - we'll get good money for that.

You could have been ANYBODY.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Perhaps it was one of the male residents down there having a tranny day?

Some strange folk live there I am led to believe.:)
Oi!!! I am currently sat on the aire at Mailleraye!!!!
I am not "strange" just "different"!!!

:boxing::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Let's just look at this from another angle, shall we?

Let's imagine it wasn't you, but a couple of ne'er do well Tea Leaves, casing the joint to assess the best vans, places to get whatever was on their shopping list that day. That woman there for instance, loaded with jewellery - she must take at least some of it of when she goes for a shower, and judging where the ablutions are situated, we could be in and out of that Bloggs and Smith motorhome which we know from prior experience are dead simple to break into quietly, in under 30 seconds. So we'll come back (whenever) and wait behind that tree/clump of bushes, we can park the getaway car in the lane (where we've already clocked a likely spot) and that will be that.

Oh and the bloke next door has a rather new looking electric bike! - we'll get good money for that.

You could have been ANYBODY.

I get your point . It was in the middle of the day and if you could have seen us ....... TEALEAVES !!!!! LOL !!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
et's just look at this from another angle, shall we?

look at it from any angle you want.. there is no need for rudeness to anyone.. I doubt very much if a couple of retirees on push bikes look like thieves.

fact is, the camp gate was open and they came in for an innocent look around.. done it hundreds of times myself.. . there was certainly no need to challenge them in an aggressive fashion ..

but I would like to hear a reply from the site.. two sides to all stories..

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Being neighbours to Bob n Di for almost 3 years i have to say we have seen them in action many times!
They would do ANYTHING for you.
We have seen examples of this many times and have needed their help on occasion which was freely given!!!

(Bill is on the way Bob)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We have had no one to STAY at our site since Easter, a number of bookings were no shows, (we don't take details or deposits maybe I should). There have however been endless streams of people in cars "just turning round", or "just pulling in for a pee" or just pulling in to answer the phone", it is not easy to remain calm especially having asked politely "can I help you", or having to chase people all over the site to get them to stop.
Too many people seem to think a campsite is a public place and they have every right to wander around without a by your leave. I'm sorry you felt got at but at times like that you need to see the other side of the coin.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Opposite Dino's restaurant/bar is a car park, no problems staying there overnight as I have done on occasions when a little too much alcohol has been consumed !
Courtesy costs nothing, perhaps I will give Parc Verger a miss next time !:whistle2:
Perhaps the new owners might read these posts and learn a lesson !:restmycase:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm on the side of whoever it was at Parc Verger. If someone wandered onto my private land without having the courtesy to see me first, especially if the means to do so was obvious, I don't think I would be very polite either.

People have said that there's no excuse for rudeness. IMHO that applies equally to the OP in this case.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I'm on the side of whoever it was at Parc Verger. If someone wandered onto my private land without having the courtesy to see me first, especially if the means to do so was obvious, I don't think I would be very polite either.

People have said that there's no excuse for rudeness. IMHO that applies equally to the OP in this case.

:doh: It's not really private land as such ,it's a campsite open to the public !
If you've got no signal and can't phone ahead or fancy dropping in on the off chance ,the first impression you get is important ,to be greeted that that is just bad business.
But then again it's been sold so maybe their hearts not in it anymore it doesn't mean it's a bad place .
If the old bag talked to me like that I'd have come back with the van ,opened the grey waste and done a full circuit of the park before giving it the one fingered salute and leaving. :wink:
Then again everyone can have a bad day and it is FUN after all .

Vlad

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Cobweb, you need to be aware that Parc Verger is regarded by some FUNdamentalists as a holy place - the MH owner's equivalent of Mecca. It is a place that in their view must be visited by all Funsters at least once in their lifetime. The holy place is guarded by angels and to imply criticism of its hallowed ground is to invite accusations of heresy.

Personally speaking I remain an agnostic in all of this, but to the more devout end of this community you now bear the mark of the INFIDEL. Expect Jihad at any time :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's not really private land as such ,it's a campsite open to the public

It is private land and nobody has right of access unless invited. No different to any other land whether operated as a business or not. How about if the owners had guard dogs running free because nobody should have been there?

Nobody has the right to just wander around at will unless there is a public right of way or equivalent crossing the land.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
:doh: It's not really private land as such ,it's a campsite open to the public !
Whoa there Vlad a campsite is private land the use of which is rented out to people staying. It is my land and not owned by a public body or council. I am the person who decides who can come in. You want to come in, then see me otherwise you are trespassing.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Godwins Law.

Wasn't expecting it that quickly. Never mind.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wildman .
So I pass by and pop in to try and find you and ?
Welcoming sites will always be busier than the other kind

Vlad

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The OP said that they weren't trying to find anybody. Just wandering around.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Why do you think a lot of club and commercial sites have barriers?

Because it's private land and there are lots of reasons why random people wandering around isn't desirable.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
:doh: I missed that bit !

If the signs were in visible in English ,French And other European languages ,they have no excuse .
How dare they walk round on a private campsite looking to enquire about staying.fire up the Bren guns I say .
Maybe some of the many missing funsters popped in to enquire about prices without giving prior warning and have ..............?

Vlad

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back