Free Member
Jun 5, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since2005
Hi all, I have been using my motor home for some years with no problem, but I have just purchased a small generator for use on smaller sites without hookups. I have noticed when using the generator that the polarity light comes on, but is fine on mains hook up. Does anyone know if this is a peculiarity Of using a Genny as all leads appear to be correct polarity, confirmed by mains use.
Thanks all, Ken

OP
OP
K

Ken charlto

Free Member
Jun 5, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since2005
Well thanks for that, just wanted to make sure, assume it because the normal reference from N to E, and L to E isn't the same as mains.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well thanks for that, just wanted to make sure, assume it because the normal reference from N to E, and L to E isn't the same as mains.

correct.. the genny is not grounded to the mains earth, it has own earth via the plug to the alternator..so you are still protected..

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Ooh now you've set the cat amongst the pigeons .... Very contentious issue are generators on this forum. I'll stand back and watch the fireworks :whistle:

Hi both...You got a Genny?......Dare you answer that!!?:think:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome to the Forum! Being new here you may not appreciate some of the references above. In short, start a generator up on a campsite and people near you may starting plotting how to sabotage it. Run it at unsocial hours and they will do it! Of course you may have medical equipment which needs charging or something like that and have a justifiable reason for wanting a generator.

To put it in context the last discussion on the "aledged"* antisocial use generators on here ran to over 20 pages, possibly even more, I lost the will to live at that point. Running generators is normal on US RV parks but it isn't here.

If you just want your leisure batteries charged consider solar or a B2B charger. Less controversial. :)

*That's me be neutral on the subject. If I hear a generator being run I just move.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I have trouble sleeping and only the gentle hum of a generator can get me to that deep untroubled sleep I crave. This is aided by the generous fumes that consume the oxygen that keeps me awake, so may I thank you for your generosity in providing fuel for my sleep.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I wish all gennies were changed for ex Army trailer mounted 16/24KVh gennies.

They create a gentle hum and only wake me up when they stop. It must be PTSD!
A generator stopping has me wide awake searching for my rifle, webbing, helmet and toolbox!

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User

A generator stopping has me wide awake searching for my rifle, webbing, helmet and toolbox!

Know what you mean. My trade in my early Army days was providing power in the field. Many a time I have curled up on the front of a 27 1/2 KVA Meadows Generator and slept well until someone plugged in a kettle and the engine note changed....Instant alert! Oh for that smell of diesel and the gentle relaxing exhaust fumes washing over you!! :happy:

OP
OP
K

Ken charlto

Free Member
Jun 5, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since2005
Thanks for your replies, I assure you all I won't be setting out to annoy people, this would only be used in emergancies, and definitely not around neighbours.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Sounds like my missus, a gentle hum, more like a pong :rolleyes:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I preferred to spend my money on good battery's and an inverter - completely silent!

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
A lot of people seem to moan and groan about generators but when I first purchased a motorhome and the wife said she needed to use her hair straighteners I bought a genarator not knowing there was any such thing as a inverter it is used at a reasonable time and only for about ten minutes a day so come on people lets not tar all generator users with the same brush. I am now changing to a inverter after some one at a rally said I hope you are not going to use that generator if you are I will move I said I am for 5 mins a day but your dog has been chained up outside and barking every 5 mins I think we all make some noice at times so let's all try and be a bit more tolerant and have ffffffun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back