Tempted to be a tugger ! (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Are these not the most gorgeous vintage trailers ...

I am sorely tempted, does anyone know anyone who owns one ?

Thing that holds me back is not being allowed to use Aires :Sad:

Link Removed

Link Removed

Last edited:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

They look great, but i doubt they are really suitable for long term use, seem a bit like a vintage car great for weekends and special days out but not really useful for everyday use.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Jim

Try before you buy ?

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Interesting thought

Very interesting tread and quite an eye opener, no wonder todays American Motorhomes RV's and Trailers are so far ahead of anything the Europeans have on offer.
When you look at those trailers and think just for a moment about the comparison with a mid 60's British or European caravan just shows how vastly advanced the American industry was then so no surprise they are still doing it so much better today.
Neil

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi,

They look great, but i doubt they are really suitable for long term use, seem a bit like a vintage car great for weekends and special days out but not really useful for everyday use.

I dunno - Airstreams have been around a very long time and there's a healthy market in them as the link suggests. It has got to be the only cool way of tugging.

I couldn't afford a new one though - have a look

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi,

Hi

For us as a full timers they do lack storage space and payload but that could be overcome by having a decent sized truck to pull it .. I could live in one and be very happy.. but what can't be overcome is being barred from Aires .. :Sad:

As far as longevity and ruggedness, I don't think that's in question, they are built the same as aircraft .. no rot or rust and with proper 'tree wood' instead of compressed sawdust .. :roflmto:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I really love the Airstreams.

My Mate has one in the States and is over-the-moon with it.

For us though it would have to be a 5th wheeler, purely for the space and layout available.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
There was a piece about them on Sky Discovery a few weeks ago, it was about a british women who buys and imports them into the UK.

The one she was bringing in to restore on the program cost her over £10,000:Eeek:

She has 11 now and was talking about selling one or too restored ones to make room for more...............google it, she might be selling now :winky:

Boo

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I was on a site in Nova Scotia and a chap had one with three axles and living in it full time. It was about 10 years ols but it had modern fittings.I believe the present design came out of the Aircraft industry and they employ Amish or Menonites for the cabinet work.

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
When you look at those trailers and think just for a moment about the comparison with a mid 60's British or European caravan just shows how vastly advanced the American industry was then so no surprise they are still doing it so much better today.
Neil
Just a pity they couldn't do the same with their cars!

Yanks love 'excess' and always think big is best. Just look at the chrome plated monstrosities with ludicrous 'jet fighter like' tail fins turned out during that period. Designers got confused between designing a car....or a plane.

Collectable now as 'curiosities' i know.....but as far as engineering goes....hardly 'finesse'!! Just a whacking great bodyshell plastered in chrome with a truck engine stuck in and sponge suspension.
Oh brother! :Doh:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Saw one at Postern Hill near Marlborough. It wasn't a caravan but a fully fledged motorhome/RV.

They always look a bit tin foilly to me. The one i looked at, at one of the shows had the ambience of a drag queen's dressing room.

Benni-Boy

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
For god sake don't even consider becoming a tugger. There are too many on the road as it is! Looks like a huge silver suppository!:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
For god sake don't even consider becoming a tugger. There are too many on the road as it is! Looks like a huge silver suppository!:ROFLMAO:

well, it would be one less RV .. anyway, what's wrong being a tugger.. ? I was one for donkeys years .. and just think, no more aggravation from CC wardens, no more dirty looks when you go on site, no more being charged EXTRA just for being an RV, no more ... etc I could go on..but you get my drift :roflmto::roflmto:

I'm talking myself into it ... :Doh::Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
knowing this country, there will be a law regarding dazzling other drivers:Doh:

imagine the effect of the sun hitting the side of that:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Very interesting tread and quite an eye opener, no wonder todays American Motorhomes RV's and Trailers are so far ahead of anything the Europeans have on offer.
Neil

American motorhomes far ahead of anything European? :Eeek::ROFLMAO:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
a very good friend of mine lived in an airstream turbo diesel 29 foot motorhome with his wife for 12 years and toured the uk in the summer and spain in the winter wild camping 90% of the time and loved every bit of the time they spent in it. the only reason they do not live in it now is that maureen had a masive heart attack and has lost her desire to live on the road full time ,so they are now thinking of selling it as luckily they still have there bungalow to live in, and the airstream has sat on there drive for 2 years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back