New Leisure Battery Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Good evening all, After a weekend away with no EHU we have come to the conclusion we need to replace our leisure battery before our 4 week holiday in France and Germany. I have had a look at the battery megastore website and they seem to have a good selection at competitive prices. The Hankook batteries have a 4 year warranty, which would suggest they are good quality. Has anyone bought one? If so were you happy? Has anyone got any advice for us before we part with our money? We've got a 110ah battery at the moment, we were looking at this one as a replacement Broken Link Removed

All advice gratefully received!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I always get my batteries from them the first pair I bought in 2001-2 they are beginning to fail, cannot be bad. No deep discharge and plenty of solar.
Some answers on Calcium batteries
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100921081047AAT00Sd
Calcium batteries are acid batteries, however the lead plate is impregnated with calcium rather than antimony as in a conventional lead acid battery. Antimony and calcium are used to strengthen the plates as lead is relatively soft. Both calcium and antimony batteries have disadvantages and advantages. The main advantages of a calcium battery are longer shelf life (they self discharge very slowly), more resistant to vibrations, higher cold cranking amp ratings, less prone to sulphation. The disadvantages of a calcium battery are they are more expensive, harder to recharge once flat, shorter service life, older vehicles cannot charge them properly and they require a certain type of charger to recover them.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
looks like a starter battery not leisure, and a bit light for 115ah.

Just my thoughts, cheap enough though.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
We have 3 banner 110 amp batteries as we do a lot of rallies with no hook up. These are kept topped up by a 120 amp solar panel, never had a problem with electrics even with the blown air on in the evenings and occasional dvd too.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Very similar to above post. We have 2 x110 banner batteries and just added a 120w solar panel. This lwts us wild camp for longer.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Good evening all, After a weekend away with no EHU we have come to the conclusion we need to replace our leisure battery before our 4 week holiday in France and Germany. I have had a look at the battery megastore website and they seem to have a good selection at competitive prices. The Hankook batteries have a 4 year warranty, which would suggest they are good quality. Has anyone bought one? If so were you happy? Has anyone got any advice for us before we part with our money? We've got a 110ah battery at the moment, we were looking at this one as a replacement Broken Link Removed

I have 3 x Broken Link Removed and they are working a treat. Not been on mains now for 7 days only solar ( peak around 6amps an hour ) during day as parked up and still sitting around 12.7 at 9pm after a 3/4 hours of TV. Collect them myself and got discounted and 4 years cover..........

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
I'll add my voice to the Banner Energy Bull batteries - proper deep cycle batteries for those who can't be *rsed to pay for hook up!

Two batteries and a Solar panel and the Worlds your oyster.

Not the cheapest - but you get what you pay for and save money in the long run.

:france::france::france:

OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
we've just ordered a Banner Energy Bull 95901 12v 115AH. Together with our solar panel we should be fine for our 4 weeks in, what will hopefully be, wall to wall sunshine! We prefer not to have to bother with EHU, so didn't want to make an expensive mistake. Thank you all for your input, it made us question our first choice & spend a bit more, haha!

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
A word of warning when buying batteries online , they come with bungs in the breather holes that must be removed . I bought a 110 from battery megastore and didn't know this . the battery case bulged and I removed it from the van . I don't know why , but I then saw the bung in breather hole and pulled it out ! Fortunately it was away from me as it would have gone all over my face .
I replaced the battery as I was scared that I had damaged it .
The 3 new 88ah batteries from the same firm all had large stickers on telling you about the bungs ( I've since spotted it on their website too ) .

Lots of you may know all this and I'm an ignorant idiot , please be careful .

p.s. if anybody wants a slightly stretched 110 , come and get it . (y)

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
110 amp with 4 year warranty ebay £59.95 next day delivery from Tanya batteries just looking for some myself

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007

Firstly, the Hankook is a car battery not a leisure battery.
I would ask! Why do you want to change your leisure battery ! Are you sure it's had it's day.
Broken Link Removed
Also, Look at this. when leisure batteries in general were subjected to a test nearly all of then turned out to be crap.
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/13871919/ccmnovtechnical.pdf?type=archive
Two available batteries of satisfactory construction and compliant with the EN standard are Varta and Banner. You can't go wrong with these.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
That's strange: Broken Link Removed

Clearly states Hankook Leisure Battery
Yes! but the first link clearly states for car use ? Also, the link in your post states a leisure battery with up to 250 cycles. I'm of the view this is very, very low and with normal usage will be reached in only a couple/three years. Maybe even sooner if used heavily and often in the first year.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That's strange: Broken Link Removed

Clearly states Hankook Leisure Battery

It looks to me like they describe them as dual purpose XV range, then if you search for information on the MFDC 31 they describe this as a genuine Deep Cycle battery as opposed to most leisure batteries which they describe as dual purpose. The cycle expectancy of the DC is twice the dual purpose but for 125ah it's still a bit light on lead in my book.

Martin

Oops @PhilandMena I took a bit too long on my research.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Well I bought the Hankook Leisure battery, well 2 actually. They were the best size to power output to fit my space. Haven't used in anger as yet but away next week so will see what happens. Have removed the travelling plugs which were very clearly marked.

OP
OP
JACQ
Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Mr JACQ has told me the battery has had its day, and as he is usually, how can I put this....very careful with his money (not to mention the fact that he claims superior knowledge in this field!), I am taking his word for it! We have ordered a Banner battery after all, so all should be well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back