Storm Straps (1 Viewer)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I would not risk having an awning out in any stormy weather. You only need one peg to work itself loose and the awning will do really serious damage to the side and possibly roof of the van. Moderateto light winds, provided they are really pegged and secured well are reasonably ok but you must be the decider, only you know the ground and weather conditions. On top of that, if you have not made allowance for the rainwater to drain off quickly then your awning might split or the awning structure and poles could be damaged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We use the tie down kit whenever the awning is out. I wouldn't be overly concerned in this wind if I was there to keep an eye on it but I wouldn't leave it overnight or unattended in this. If it's calm weather it stays out all the time.

You definitely should have one end lower than the other for rain to drain off. It won't do any damage as the arms and legs are designed to move but, as I found out the hard way once, if the water collects in the middle it will sag in the middle, usually in front of your hab door so you can't get out :doh: The traditional thing then is to not think about where you are standing when you lower one end to let it drain off so that it drains straight onto your head (y)

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I am aware of the danger,bur unfortunately I left my awning/canopy out yesterday and now too afraid to try and wind it in if I release the storm straps I will have no control whatsoever.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I am aware of the danger,bur unfortunately I left my awning/canopy out yesterday and now too afraid to try and wind it in if I release the storm straps I will have no control whatsoever.

Are you on your own, can you not enlist some help?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Today is NOT a good day to have awning out. Sitting next to a caravan here and he has been outside trying to keep it down since 9am. The straps are great on and average day to "make safe" but common sense is cheaper................

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

Then use as many pegs as you can with whatever string you have and hope for the best.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
..and wear a parachute just in case.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
If no help available.
1. Consider the wind so far, is it likely to get worse, how have your storm straps and ground pegs stood up so far?
2. If you decide to take it down try to get help first.
3. Consider the risks involved.
4. If you have to take it down in strong wind. Check your pegs are in tightly, if you can reduce the height of your legs, one at a time as low as you can and try to keep tension on all your straps. Bring your legs in towards the van and try to roll in some of the canopy slowly. If you have the leg mounts mounted on the bottom of the van see if you can clamp the leg feet to the van and as quickly as possible roll up any slack in the awning.
I cannot emphasise the need to get help and have a few burly chaps holding the front of the awning down as low as possible whilst you get it in.
Good luck, let us know how you get on

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
One other thing to watch out for is that the awning can also blow down, causing damage. If you really pull down hard on the straps and the wind catches it just right it will force the awning legs to "collapse" and you can end up with a damaged front rail. I know it happened to me. Had the full safari room out and securely pegged all the way round so no danger of it taking off when a strong gust came and forced it downwards. I now have inserts which I put into the legs so that they can't be forced down and then I tension the straps against these.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
If you read the fiamma instructions for an awning use, they say they should not be used in high wind. Indeed there is an electric awning, made by the opposition, that actually winds itself in in a higher than recommended wind.

I have actually seen an awning being whipped up by the wind. The couple were putting it out in a high wind, why do that I never know, and the wind got under it and the whole thing landed on his roof.
The side housing came away and I think they would have been lucky if it had not damaged the side panel.
In the end they managed to unscrew the side casing and put the whole thing on the floor.

As the chap said " there's £1200 down the drain."

So what I do now is put the awning out using the tie down straps, if in any doubt on out high winds I roll it in, rather than rely on the straps.

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Thanks for all your help.the straps have so far held firm un 51kph winds .i do have the sides and front fiamma.windstoppers on and well pegged,Down. .forecast says wind easing over next few hours so I hope all will be ok

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I had a Fiamma awning on my last motorhome, and I used
tie-downs all the time, whatever the weather.
Another Fiamma accessory which is a very useful is the 'foot pad kit' which consists of heavy duty plastic plates which fit over the feet of the awning legs and anchor them firmly to the ground. I think I paid less than a tenner for them.
Stef.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
That's good to hear. :whew:

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Indeed there is an electric awning, made by the opposition, that actually winds itself in in a higher than recommended wind.

Interesting. How does that work if it is pegged down or do you not peg it down and hope it works?

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I had a Fiamma awning on my last motorhome, and I used
tie-downs all the time, whatever the weather.
Another Fiamma accessory which is a very useful is the 'foot pad kit' which consists of heavy duty plastic plates which fit over the feet of the awning legs and anchor them firmly to the ground. I think I paid less than a tenner for them.
Stef.

I'm no good at posting links, but on the Fiamma website they are described as 'Fiammastor Kit Awning Plates', product code 29204NOVA, priced at £9.75 including pegs. There are pictures and a video if interested.
Stef.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I'm no good at posting links, but on the Fiamma website they are described as 'Fiammastor Kit Awning Plates', product code 29204NOVA, priced at £9.75 including pegs. There are pictures and a video if interested.
Stef.

Thanks for this. Just ordered a set. Must emphasise that awnings should be taken down in strong winds but hope that they will provide some additional security if the winds do get up a bit unexpectedly. :happy:

OP
OP
Khizzie

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Thabks
Thanks for this. Just ordered a set. Must emphasise that awnings should be taken down in strong winds but hope that they will provide some additional security if the winds do get up a bit unexpectedly. :happy:
Thanks for the link,and yes I do have a pair and they are on the legs,.so I am,well strapped down.and bonus wind has backed a little,just smaller less,harsh gusts about 38kph instead of 50kph.so fingers crossed.and once again thanks for all the advice funsters...Roy

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When we are plotted up for any length of time straps are always used.. Its all well and good saying don't have the awning out in high wind but wind is no respector of time of day or if you have gone out for the day !
Lost count of the times we have gone to bed after enjoying a beautiful evening, only to be woken with a horrendous storm in play !!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
On he Fiama website they are only advised for use in light winds and should not be used if strong winds are expected

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We always use straps..better safe than sorry and. ... They are great for hanging lights on
20140426_212245.jpg

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
We must be the biggest cowards as we've never left the awning out unattended, not even to take the dogs for a quick walk on a hot and sunny day. Definitely wouldn't leave it out overnight either. The thought of having our beloved motorhome damaged is too much of a deterrent. Don't like parking next to someone who leaves theirs out unattended either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back