Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Hi all

I know this has probably been done loads of times but........

As we are going on our first trip to France in July in MH i was just after a list of whats needed apart from the normal items we take in the UK?

Thanks in advance

Rob

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi vis vest for driver and every passenger. Must be able to put them on before exiting the vehicle so don't keep them in the garage or an outside locker.
Warning triangle
Spare bulb set.
First aid kit
Beam deflectors for your lights
Breathalysers. Technically compulsory but no penalties are issued if you don't because the French as a nation have collectively refused to carry them.
Driving licence
Insurance certificate
V5C

That's about it. You can get everything in a kit from various places. Halfords do them or just Google "Continental Driving Kit"

Don't bother taking wine with you. Buy it locally, even from the supermarkets. It will be better and cheaper.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Occasionally I suppose you might need a 2 pin adapter for hook up. I have to say though my one has never been out of the locker. Every place we've had hookup it's been a normal blue 3 pin 16A socket.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you're going to be visiting Europe regularly, buy your beam deflectors in packs of 10 pairs on eBay - don't go paying £7+ a pair at Halfords or the ferry port.

I have a personal theory that if your hi-vis vests are visible in the cab (back of seat, headrest etc) you're less likely to be pulled over for a check.

If you're planning to use aires, having some means of carrying waste water and clean water without having to drive up to the service point can save a bit of time and hassle. I also carry a couple of those metal key things with looped handles that allow you to lift grids and drain lids - not essential, but handy on some occasions.

Electric hook up points on some French campsites can be a fair distance from your pitch - they don't necessarily have one per pitch. Makes sure your cable is a decent length.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Suggest you take a Reverse polarity tester kit, save blowing fuse on the control panel as some electrical points in france not all wired correct .
Broken Link Removed
Also good satnav, the books " all the aires" or similar.
If you know where you are headed, just ask for recommended aires or campsites, I'm sure someone will come up with some great ideas/ pointers on places to see/stay or worth visiting.
Terry

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Occasionally I suppose you might need a 2 pin adapter for hook up. I have to say though my one has never been out of the locker. Every place we've had hookup it's been a normal blue 3 pin 16A socket.
We've used one on about half the places we have stayed at in Spain on this trip! France must be more civilised. :)

Upvote 0

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
A big plastic hand to wave at other motorhomers for when you hand tires out.(y)
You will be amazed how many motorhomes are on the road in France and you'll soon realize why:cool:

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Don't do what I did on my first trip , on first trip to an aire, I bought several jetons ( coins for water/ electric) thinking that they would be handy for all the other aires on our trip . Nope each aire has a different jeton, so I still have 3 jetons after 7/8 trips to france which don't fit any other aires.

Upvote 0

Caerus

Free Member
Dec 30, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Travel Van
Exp

Bought one and came across a site where it WAS needed.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back