My Third Hand Awning Bead To Rail Assistor (1 Viewer)

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I keep hearing how MH's have trouble with attaching their awning to either their awning channel within their Fiamma/Omnistor Sun shade or a channel rail that has been a fitted to their MH panel, well in a lot of cases the Miss's has to hold up the middle to rear of the sometime's quite heavy awning whilst the old man attempts to feed the awning bead into the channel rail...well, what I have done is made up a support to assist the Miss's which takes the strain of having to reach up to channel rails that in most case's are over 2.35mtrs, simply all you need is a metal (probably brass) window squeege ( like the window cleaners use) undo the two squeege retaining screws discard these, next get hold of a section of figure eight awning attachment cut the length down to suit you, slide a length of same dia' alloy tube into one of the figure eight slots replace the original squeege screws with slightly longer ones+ nyloc locking nuts fit the alloy section of this part into your squeege insert the screws tighten up till the squeege's clamp grips the figure eight...you need to fit this to something to allow it to assist you, in my case I use my MH telescopic washing brush handle fitted with a plastic tapered screw adaptor ( domestic paint store's) fit the assistor onto the pole end, slide the assistor onto the awning bead positioning it where the weight is comfortable lift up the pole attached to the awning whilst the old man feeds the beading into the MH's awning rail the key to this is because you are bringing the awning up to the level of the height of the rail the fitting of the awning bead into the rail becomes much easier with this system you can also change the head's on the telescopic pole
ie: van washing brush, assistor for awning attachment, broom head,...whatever else:cool:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I just wind the fiamma out so it drops down, then attach the awning using an adaptor and wind the fiamma back in. takes under a minute to attach or detach single handed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I just wind the fiamma out so it drops down, then attach the awning using an adaptor and wind the fiamma back in. takes under a minute to attach or detach single handed
Me too. Doesn't work if you don't have a wind-out though :)

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
A colleague of mine use to do just that until he found the weight of the awning being erected effected his Fiamma f45s locking back into the case correctly so he ended up doing what I have done,fitting an additional awning rail to the MH body panel and using a Caravan porch type awning:)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I have put an eyelet in end of beading :) I stand on a collapsible stool,feed bead into rail attach length of cord with hook on it,Carolyn pulls gently as I feed awning bead into rail-works a treat,even better after spraying rail with silicon lube.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bootneck

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Herts
Funster No
MH
Class2
Exp
8yrs
Mike I have an Elddis Autoquest 140 with an attached awning rail height 9'
I attach a Cayman XL drive away however the funnel never seems taught enough and I have had water puddling and not draining away
However much I try to adjust the side straps it's still to much sag. Any advice?

OP
OP
mentaliss

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Mike I have an Elddis Autoquest 140 with an attached awning rail height 9'
I attach a Cayman XL drive away however the funnel never seems taught enough and I have had water puddling and not draining away
However much I try to adjust the side straps it's still to much sag. Any advice?

Tunnels can be an annoying issue as most of them very loose when applied to the rail fix, first make sure that the van is set back far enough to make the roof of the tunnel taught or you can try gathering the material up and clipping it together, I suspect in your case that rain water is not getting away from the tunnel/drive away awning join if this was a problem for me I would design and make up a telescopic 'rafter' pole which would lift up the centre of the tunnels fabric...hope this helps:cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back