New Motorway Speed Cameras? (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
On Facebook there is a suggestion that there are new speed cameras set into the crash barriers. Is this true?
Alan

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
No idea about the crash barriers but I had it on good authority that the million pound overhead traffic information display signs on motorways have the technology built into them to be used as average speed monitors and can be linked to dvla database to issue notices. As far as I know this technology is not used at present. But in the future................

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
no need for them to be in the crash barriers as the overhead system is only working to a small proportion of their capabilities. when fully utilised, the installed system can not only identify speeders but also stolen vehicles and those without MOT or insurance

big brother is alive and well

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
On Facebook there is a suggestion that there are new speed cameras set into the crash barriers. Is this true?
Alan
The technology certainly exists but it is more practical and cheaper in UK to use other means. Drive through Zurich, on the other hand and you see cameras looking like lamp posts.........

Don't worry about speed cameras any more as I try to stick to the limits (including the 50/60/70 as applies to a lot of heavier vans) and if I get caught then that is my look out

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I break the speed limits as do most people its easy revenue instead of catching criminals

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Bring them on.. (y)

the more caught breaking the speed limit and prosecuted, the safer the roads will be..
I have no time for those who flagrantly break the law then blame the Police when caught and prosecuted ..

If you get done.. put your hands up.. it's a 'fair cop' and don't forget>>>>

The minimum penalty for speeding is a £100 fine and 3 penalty points added to your licence.

You could be disqualified from driving if you build up 12 or more penalty points within a period of 3 years.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you want to speed you can't really complain if they come up with new ways to catch you. If you do speed and you get caught, don't complain about it, shut up and take the fine and points.

If you don't want to get caught don't speed. Seemples (y)

And this isn't me being "holier than thou" it's basic common sense. :D

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There do seem to be a lot of cameras on the new overhead gantries that are appearing everywhere, especially when they have variable speed limits. I have heard a few times that the cameras are only active when there's a reduced speed limit in place but I don't know how true this is.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
They're actually set in the cat's-eyes :sneaky:

This has been trialled in Scotland for the last couple of years..
Absolutely NO idea if the powers that be intend moving forward with the project though

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I always get a little nervous on the motorways now days. ..especialy when I start to go over a ton..
Having been banned for speeding at 124 these cameras are taking all the fun away for us boy racers. ...
i got hit by a camera the other week 54 in a 40 and i saw it too but was to busy trying to get a power slide going. ..Dan thing 3 points and a 100 pound fine...
Wouldn't even let me on the speed awareness course again...

The problem with cameras is they are rigid with no considerations for weather traffic time of day etc etc...

Might as well take the chip out the MH and take it back to stock....

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you want to speed you can't really complain if they come up with new ways to catch you. If you do speed and you get caught, don't complain about it, shut up and take the fine and points.

If you don't want to get caught don't speed. Seemples (y)

And this isn't me being "holier than thou" it's basic common sense. :D

So why do they get funny when people come up with new ways to defeat the
"new ways to catch you " & they then attempt to use the old fall back
"interfering with a :( in the execution of his duty " ?
At the end of the day you now have a situation & have had in the UK where it takes 5 x as long to do a journey than it did 40 years ago. None have ever been interested in a decent integrated transport system .Just a mish-mash & shambles of planning & construction .
To blame it on the rise in vehicle ownership/use; expanding population compounded by Eu workers is true but should have been planned into the system & road construction years ago. It is far easier & cheaper to build it with future poof capacity initially ,than attempt to remedy it later. This is why so many of the road systems, M25 in particular, are disasters before even being opened.

Far easier to do the usual lower the limits , penalise the user , than to do the job they are being paid for.
Far easier, also, to devise a system whereby they can also use it to spy upon/control the population aided overwhelming cctv to " prevent terrorism" & the jobs a good'un in their eyes.
Yes it does reduce unnecessary road fatalities but as we all know you then have the problem of too many people ?
If we ever get to the EU mythical 'want' of zero road fatalities by 2050 it'll only be because we're at war again.:LOL:

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I always get a little nervous on the motorways now days. ..especialy when I start to go over a ton..
i got hit by a camera the other week
Wow Haganap! You really have me worried now, for I am over 3.5 tons and am getting nervous.
I am also sorry about your accident and look forward to your speedy recovery.o_O

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I'm sure they have or could put the cameras in the overhead systems.

I've lost track of how many times the overhead system has indicated a speed of 40 or even 30, down from 70 and there has been light traffic, as far as the eye can see and no hazards are experienced ahead.

One wonders if the people in the control center have simply, forgotten to reset them after an earlier incident.
If there were average speed cameras on each overhead and tickets were issued for exceeding these obviously ridiculous speed reductions, that would certainly put the cat among the pigeons.

Imagine the chaos as drivers slammed the brakes on to get within the speed limit between the overheads.
Carnage!!!
Before anyone says they reduce the speed limit gradually, they may do on some Motorways, but they don't on the A1M, especially around Peterborough.

:cooler:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Motorhomers are generally tight on the pocket so to then MPG rules. Being overtaken can be tedious for them so most are in favor of stricter speed controls.
How about increasing the top limit to 80/90mph then less motorists will be treated as cash cows. Travailing on a motorway at 90 mph in a modern car is not in itself a danger so why limit motorways to 70mph, low speeds just cause bunching with slower vehicles. being out in the outside lane at 90 will avoid all this nonsense. (y)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
On the southern section of the M25 around Clackets Lane there are some cameras mounted to one side of the overhead gantrys,they are active even when the signs are set to national speed limit. I've seen them flash a few times but so far for others and not me! I did read somewhere that the new government transport guy is meant to be requesting they are painted yellow like all the others. I think there are also some on the northern section near the A1.
Don't even think about the new Dartford crossing, more cameras than a gang of paparazzi, the speed limit goes all over the place,60,50,20. Think of a number and that's it. Just keep your eyes open and smile at the cameras and I guess watch your speed.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So why do they get funny when people come up with new ways to defeat the
"new ways to catch you " & they then attempt to use the old fall back
"interfering with a :( in the execution of his duty " ?
At the end of the day you now have a situation & have had in the UK where it takes 5 x as long to do a journey than it did 40 years ago. None have ever been interested in a decent integrated transport system .Just a mish-mash & shambles of planning & construction .
To blame it on the rise in vehicle ownership/use; expanding population compounded by Eu workers is true but should have been planned into the system & road construction years ago. It is far easier & cheaper to build it with future poof capacity initially ,than attempt to remedy it later. This is why so many of the road systems, M25 in particular, are disasters before even being opened.

Far easier to do the usual lower the limits , penalise the user , than to do the job they are being paid for.
Far easier, also, to devise a system whereby they can also use it to spy upon/control the population aided overwhelming cctv to " prevent terrorism" & the jobs a good'un in their eyes.
Yes it does reduce unnecessary road fatalities but as we all know you then have the problem of too many people ?
If we ever get to the EU mythical 'want' of zero road fatalities by 2050 it'll only be because we're at war again.:LOL:

I agree with some, if not most, of your post. However it has nothing to do with the post of mine that you replied to where my point was if you want to speed don't moan if you get caught.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi JAWS.
SPELLING!!
Write out 100 times
No-EYE..dea LOL
Tea Bag