Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
have you noticed that no matter how well you prepare in advance for the hols. there is always something that crops up? giving the van a service and general going over I noticed the tyres are showing slight signs of cracking on the sidewalls.....well they are eight years old but have only done 10,000 miles, but safe than sorry I'll have to replace them. Black circle seem to be offering the best locally fitted prices for michelin camping tyres (£114.25) but noticed slightly cheaper Pirelli(107.26) with lower noise rating Just wondering if anyone uses Pirelli carrier campers

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

Nothing worse than a blow out at speed. Tyres should be changed 5 to 6 years regardless of mileage
Our tag axle had 2 sets on while we had here in 10 years the cracks get worse the hotter places you go.

Up to you safety first.

steve & ann. ------------ teensvan99

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
They are both 'known' brands, personally I would go for less noise, ASAY, LESS NOISE!:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Had Pirelli Citynet on our Transit from new.

They got binned at 12000 miles and 4 yrs due to sidewall cracking. Won't touch Pirellis again!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I just went with cheap commercial tyres. I have been fine on them. Never noticed the difference to camper tyres. Been using the commercials for 7 years now. £75-£80 each fitted.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I just went with cheap commercial tyres. I have been fine on them. Never noticed the difference to camper tyres. Been using the commercials for 7 years now. £75-£80 each fitted.

Wait for post about invalidating insurance..........:rofl:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I very much doubt it unless it states it specifically in your documents.??? I would need to see evidence before I believed it to be honest.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I very much doubt it unless it states it specifically in your documents.??? I would need to see evidence before I believed it to be honest.
If the tyres are the correct size, speed and load rating then the insurers would have a fight on their hands.
construction and use regs stipulate tyre specifications, not insurance companies.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If the tyres are the correct size, speed and load rating then the insurers would have a fight on their hands.
construction and use regs stipulate tyre specifications, not insurance companies.
My understanding of the situation as well (y)

Adrian & Alison

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 2.1
Exp
5ys in Europe
Hi.

Nothing worse than a blow out at speed. Tyres should be changed 5 to 6 years regardless of mileage
Our tag axle had 2 sets on while we had here in 10 years the cracks get worse the hotter places you go.

Up to you safety first.

steve & ann. ------------ teensvan99

Couldn't agree more ! .. Having just been through the MOT and discussing my intentions of replacing my tyres this year due to being "nearly" 5 yrs old the Tester seemed really surprised and commented that the tyres looked in perfect condition with no sidewall cracking and very good tread depth..

I accepted his comments and happy(ish) went off last weekend for a short break prior to our 3week trip to Portugal, but all the time on the motorway i had a "niggling" feeling about my tyres....

So this weekend i decide the MH's wheels are looking a bit shabby so decide to give them a re-paint, 3 down all looking good .. then off comes the fourth ! it seems my initial concerns were justified after all, despite no sidewall cracking on any tyre, less than 5yrs old etc.. i discovered a blow out waiting to happen, After careful re-inspection this was the only tyre with any signs of cracking and only in this one area ....

Moral of this story .. trust your instincts and check your tyres VERY carefully !

Pic 1 - the only bit of cracking anywhere on the four tyres

Pic2 - showing how the tread has started to lift ...

tyre1.JPG

tyre2.JPG

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Van tyres or camping tyres???? If you use your motorhome just about daily and it is never standing for long on one spot then I would suggest that van tyres would be adequate but if the motorhome is used "some" weekends and the odd longer holiday then camper tyres are a must. Only my opinion but it's getting the correct tyres for the job in hand that is important. :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
have you noticed that no matter how well you prepare in advance for the hols. there is always something that crops up? giving the van a service and general going over I noticed the tyres are showing slight signs of cracking on the sidewalls.....well they are eight years old but have only done 10,000 miles, but safe than sorry I'll have to replace them. Black circle seem to be offering the best locally fitted prices for michelin camping tyres (£114.25) but noticed slightly cheaper Pirelli(107.26) with lower noise rating Just wondering if anyone uses Pirelli carrier campers

I got Mitchellin camping tyres at Easter with Black circle. The price was the same as the local fitter would have charged but Black circle was giving 500 Tesco points for each order. Don't forget to check your wheel nuts after collection and after 50 miles - we didn't and nearly lost the wheel.

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
We changed our tyres on the Discovery to a lower load rating than originally fitted. We asked the insurers to confirm in writing that this was OK with them which they did.

As long as the wheels are the correct type for the vehicle and the tyres are the correct size and have a load and speed rating that is compatible with the vehicle, then there are no issues.

We went from a 109T to a 106T, not a huge jump but worth checking up before we did it.

The tyres on the Mercedes are all commercial, Continental and the front and Yokohama at the (4) rears. In this case we increased the tyre width from 215 to 225 when we renewed the whole set, but the load ratings remained the same.

Peter

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We had the problem with cracking in tread as you show on our previous van,I hadn't noticed the cracks until the van was bumping up and down on the back, I took the bike trailer off and went up road still the same, so we carried on and then stopped at some shop, whilst wife was in the shop I had a look around and found the back tyres were like rugby balls in shape, so next stop-get tyres.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back