I Might Have Been A Hero But... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Having decided to have a one night, mini trip away for Frankie's last holiday weekend, we ended up in this Aire...

20150530_193927.jpg

I didn't sleep too well and was surprised to hear noises and movement in the very early hours of the morning from next door. I nearly pulled back my curtains to see what my neighbours were up to but then I thought that might be a tad nosy.

When I did get up, I found they had made a very early start and were gone.

It turned out that both the next door vans had been broken into and robbed during the night!

I now ask myself what would I have done had I pulled back my curtain and spotted the robbery taking place?

Earlier in the evening Frankie had asked me if she should bother to put her chain through the cab doors locking them shut and I replied "Definitely!

I don't feel any safer when parked up amongst a number of other vans on a "near town centre" aire than I do when on my own, in less formal stop over locations.

(Apparently more vans had been robbed here last weekend. The Police Station is only 150 metres away.)

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Which aire is it, so it can be avoided

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
:):):)

old.jpg

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
not sure I would want' to park in that lot anyway TBH. Might as well be on a campsite than look out in to the neighbors windows.

but I remember when we experienced an attempted break in and I chased after them with Tara in my pants after a while all I could think is " what would I do if I caught them?" safer that they are disturbed and moved on, what should also happen is people should let the police know so they can at least step up patrols.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That photo of the aire, is just the sort of place we love, especially if it's close to the centre of the town, please don't be put off aires , they are brilliant, mostly free, and must admit we haven't gone in for much security but reading these sort of posts , think we should do something, even though the robbers have probably got more in their pockets than they would get out of our van but it's the trouble they can cause by taking passports and cards and stuff

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This just puts me off aires more and more. Why do it?
If you haven't tried aires, please think again , the people you meet and the sites you see all for nowt has just got to be tried to believe,

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Like any crime, you have to weigh up how many MH's were parked on aires that night (and every night) that were not broken into, thousands.

As has been mentioned on here many times, if you worry about everything that 'could' happen to you, you would never leave the house.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
And why would a huge man like you not chase after them. You would just scare them to death. Or make them disappear, you cannot rely on "your people" for everything. Time we all started carrying baseball bats and pepper spray. Oh and the occasional taser or animal prod. Scum like that get away with it because people do nothing. Nothing gets my goat more than robbers. Never mind Dick turpin carry a knife and make them Dickless turpin.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mmmm, I dont recall you having any problems whilst in Benidorm JJ.

Reactions: JJ

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Oh ....I am reading this in my bunk in a nice Aire by a river . I just made husband go out and check the garage is locked and now we are alarmed as well ! Well ... that is all we can do . Anyway this is not an urban aire and it is tipping down rain which should be a good enough reason to put off any potential robber. We have enjoyed Aires for the last 7 years with no problems and will continue to do so but take precautions and always have plan B if A does not look right .

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I know it's daft but when we are staying somewhere I am a bit wary about as well as the normal precautions I prop tray and the rubbish bag by the door so it would clatter on them and hopefully put them off should any one try and get in.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I was on the Aire at Baie de la Somme on the 19th, about 5 other Motorhomes there and taking the dog for a walk I noticed that I was the only one with flashing red alarm led's from my Strikeback alarm.

Pretty obvious that any nerdowell would avoid my van and go for one of the others.

Can't understand why people spend tens of thousands of pounds on a motorhome and don't then spend a few hundred on protecting it.

Mike

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
you cannot rely on "your people" for everything

I didn't chase them off because I didn't know they were there!

I wouldn't have "chased" after them anyway because I can hardly walk let alone "chase" anyone.

Had I needed to make them run away, I wouldn't have used my people in this instance (it was Sunday), I had Frankie to tell them off.

When my Princess tells someone off, they are sorted.

Trust me... I know!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I didn't chase them off because I didn't know they were there!

I wouldn't have "chased" after them anyway because I can hardly walk let alone "chase" anyone.

Had I needed to make them run away, I wouldn't have used my people in this instance (it was Sunday), I had Frankie to tell them off.

When my Princess tells someone off, they are sorted.

Trust me... I know!

Sorry to hear you have trouble walking.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We spent a couple of days there last year without incident. There were a couple of vans that seemed to be perked long term there, as well as a lady with a van that did dog grooming.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Don't know how good she is at her job JJ but she turned up one day with two dogs in her car when she let them out they had both got mange. Couldn't have made a good coat between them.

Jenny commented at the time they were not much of a good advert for business LOL.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back