seatrout

Free Member
May 25, 2015
neath porttalbot wales
Funster No
MH
compass castaway
Exp
hi there picked up a compass castaway from a motorhome dealer in bed last night and water started to drip down from the cuboard above the fixed bed only picked the motorhome up Wednesday what position am I in phoned the dealer today but not open on sundays do you think he will be liable for the repairs thanks john

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Where is the water coming from , is it actual leak through the roof or wall or from a water pipe, if it's a pipe it shouldn't be much of a problem but anything else he should have it back

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the dealer has a legal obligation to fix it or refund you if a fault like that occurs within 30 days I believe. if its got to the stage of dripping through the cupboards its been leaking a while so could be very expensive repair

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

seatrout

Free Member
May 25, 2015
neath porttalbot wales
Funster No
MH
compass castaway
Exp
climbed up the roof to have a look not sure where its coming from not sure would the water pipes run above the bed thanks for your reply

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
climbed up the roof to have a look not sure where its coming from not sure would the water pipes run above the bed thanks for your reply
pipes are not normally in top lockers on vans, and the leak could be round a skylight or join that has failed through vibration and expansion and contraction. water can then travel inside the ceiling before dripping out of an opening

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it has been going on for a while the rot could cost thousands to repair. Take it back and demand a full refund. Don't let them just stick sealant around the rooflight or wherever. The damage will already have been done unless they can prove otherwise which will probably mean them removing walls and ceiling to gain access.

The water pipes will be under the floor or running up from the floor to any taps. If it leaked when it rained then you have a leak in the roof.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would buy a damp meter if I were you and test any future purchase with it thoroughly.
Rotten luck with your purchase. Things can only improve.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
water can then travel inside the ceiling before dripping out of an opening
Quite correct. My front roof light leak made almost a pilgrimage to Mecca before popping out to say 'HI' near the loo door ceiling.

OP
OP
S

seatrout

Free Member
May 25, 2015
neath porttalbot wales
Funster No
MH
compass castaway
Exp
the dealer did a damp test before I bought it im new to motorhomes but had caravans for years tried all the corners etc for any damp spots im hoping it just started leaking last night been raining on and off the last couple of days and would have shown up on the bed thanks john

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Do you have a copy of it? I think I would be getting an independent damp check done if I didn't get my money refunded.
Is this 'damp test' a bit of a fallacy?? I only ask that in the knowledge that you can make any instrument say what you wish it to say in everyday circumstances........So many (of us) seem to put thousands of pounds down in the trust of damp meters, when the Mk1 Nose always seems to let me know if the dreaded damp is around.......Or, (as is usually the case), am I speaking through my trumpet again??o_O

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

Sorry to here of the problem. Try if possible to take close up pictures of the water dripping in. If it has stopped as not raining run a hose pipe on the area and see what happens. Don't tell the dealer of the hosepipe stunt.

steve & ann. ------------ teensvan99

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Is this 'damp test' a bit of a fallacy?? I only ask that in the knowledge that you can make any instrument say what you wish it to say in everyday circumstances........So many (of us) seem to put thousands of pounds down in the trust of damp meters, when the Mk1 Nose always seems to let me know if the dreaded damp is around.......Or, (as is usually the case), am I speaking through my trumpet again??o_O
No you are not, as I posted on here a while ago, I have one of the Aldi things and it will tell you anything but the truth, if you put the prongs in the rubber around your windows it shows 100% damp , you just can't spend tens of thousands on the whim of a ten pound piece of Chinese crap.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just a piece of hoping for the best, a bottle of water hasn't tipped up in the cupboard , has it ?

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
what dealer was it we had damp in our 56 plate m/h cost 2000 grand to repair then part x for a new 2013 rollerteam only had the damp on this m/h in may this year 3As m/h dealer sorted out now your rights not fit for purpose take it back you may have a long existing problem with this damp do not know the age of your m/h but under the sale of goods act you are covered if you are unhappy do not get fobbed by dealer its ok we'll fix it until the next time it rains hope this helps ray

OP
OP
S

seatrout

Free Member
May 25, 2015
neath porttalbot wales
Funster No
MH
compass castaway
Exp
got hold of the dealer this afternoon and was told to take for repairs to local motorhome caravan repairers any body know of a good repairers to go to south wales area motorhome is a 2006 thanks john

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Hi.

Sorry to here of the problem. Try if possible to take close up pictures of the water dripping in. If it has stopped as not raining run a hose pipe on the area and see what happens. Don't tell the dealer of the hosepipe stunt.

steve & ann. ------------ teensvan99
Didn't need the hosepipe if he had same weather as us today.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Surely what he's suggesting is a cop out? When another repairer presents him with the bill is he going to dispute it ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You dont even need a meter to perform a damp test.

Just fill in the form with what you think it should be and thats the check finished.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why would there be a water pipe above the fixed bed ??????
Don't know the model , don't know every layout, don't know why there would be a pipe above the bed, and neither presumably do you, just going through every option it could be to help the op!

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
fobbed off by the dealer name him and how long has it leaking there is a boy in ystrad Swansea valley very good get a report from him will get youis number tomorrow but if I was you I'd take it back and get a refund it rains a lot in portalbot you will have to sleep in a lifebuoy a night if it rains or you could drillholes in the floor to let the water out lol ray

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The Autocirrus/Autostratus/Calypso/Castaway family of vans were not marketed for very long.
It was Explorer Groups first move away from their more traditional construction method and it was failure.
We know, we had an Autocirrus! It was a seive on wheels! I lost count of the leaks I had to fix. The fibreglass mouldings were of poor quality too. They were very pourous and I even put my finger through one accidentally whilst washing it with a sponge.
I would use every excuse for a refund I am afraid.
I could be wrong, there might be good ones about with no problems, but your leak might have been there a long time.......

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No you are not, as I posted on here a while ago, I have one of the Aldi things and it will tell you anything but the truth, if you put the prongs in the rubber around your windows it shows 100% damp , you just can't spend tens of thousands on the whim of a ten pound piece of Chinese crap.

Damp meter measures electrical conductivity, if you stick it into something conductive it will show up as damp, the rubber would contain carbon black.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Although I agree with most on the 'get it back for a refund', I am not sure it is a fob off by the selling dealer, the OP looks to be 100's miles away, a lot of cost and time for him to take it back if it turns out to be something simple to fix

If the local man says this is serious, then get it back for a refund, no need if an independent dealer says it only needs some sealant IMO (y)

It does seem odd that it had not appeared to have leaked before, as OP says they would have noticed the bed was wet, it might just have stood for a while and the first journey in months has dislodged something

BTW, you didn't have the roof vent open in heavy rain by chance did you, rain bounces in through ours if ours is open and the rain is heavy :)

edit - just noticed Jon's post above, now suggest get it back

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back