LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
My Ducato maxi has tired springs all round and I shall be increasing the GVW via SV Tech. I am planning on putting air suspension on the back and new springs on the front, probably VB comfort springs. With these modifications I can achieve 4500 kg GVW.

Where I am unsure is that I probably do not need 4500 kg. Is there an advantage to nominating a lower weight, still ample for what I need? I seem to remember somewhere that someone had a problem with recovery with a GVW in excess of, I believe 4250 kg?

My current insurance and recovery package has no problem with the weight at 4500 kg, the recovery is governed by engine size with a maximum of 3 L.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks,

David.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would go as high as you can .
you dont have to use it all.
it is a maximum not a target.
cant see any reasons what it should cause.
they recover trucks buses etc .
just make sure who ever you use ,can ,will, do it .
certainly i was with a mate last year and his clutch went in spain . on a daf 45 truck camper .
it was recovered to a garage ok.
could have been taken back to uk but he decided get it fixed in spain and carry on travelling .
seems your company will let you have it so go for it.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I maxed mine out at 4,500 and upped the rear axle limit by fitting higher rated tyres as the rear axle limit was touch and go with bikes on the back wall and fully laden for European touring. My insurance and recovery is OK with that.

My view is that once you are over 3,500 kilos then you might as well get as much capacity as is available from the vehicle chassis etc.

OP
OP
Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks all, I shall go all the way then.

Out of interest @Bartyfixedit which recovery company only cares about engine size as you get some pretty big vans on IVECO 3 litre.

Martin
I have recovery as supplied with the insurance from the C&CC called "Club care breakdown assistance". I have checked the policy tonight and definitely limited to 3000cc.
Who makes the rules Eh?;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
In the terms and conditions it seems to say no restrictions on length weight and width, but no mention of height. We have ADAC (just in case we go to Morocco as AA won't cover) and the only restriction is height at 3.2 metres, we also have AA through our SAGA insurance and no restrictions

It also says vehicles manufactured without a spare wheel will be concidered on merit.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The only limit I have seen are at the 3500Kg and 7500KG mark. in between I haven't seen any demarkations.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks all, I shall go all the way then.

I have recovery as supplied with the insurance from the C&CC called "Club care breakdown assistance". I have checked the policy tonight and definitely limited to 3000cc.
Who makes the rules Eh?;)
As you are in the c&cc it may be worth looking at the ARRIVALS scheme....specificly for c&cc members only.

No limit on size or weight and engine size is not an issue.

39ft rv....they send an appropriate sized low loader artic
17ft romahome.....they send a smaller flatbed truck.

You, personally, are covered for ANY vehicle you are in excluding commercial vehicles (business/sign written etc) whether driving it or not and whether owned by you or not

They will take you to a pre booked site and come for you after your stay if thats what you want, even coming onto the pitch to get you....not many clubs will even leave tarmac.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back