Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Varies in Europe
Funster No
MH
Ready to buy under 6m.
Exp
A MH virgin - but not for long!! ;-)
I think these are a great idea for folks like us. The first one I used was outside Durham, relaxed parking, a 15 minute wait for a pleasant, hassle-free bus journey in to the city centre. Great! Then I tried (being the operative word) to do it in a few other cities this weekend. Arrived at the entrance and a 6ft height bar across the entrance brought me to a sudden halt. No warning until then. The buses used a different, specific entrance...... Didn't visit that city. Or the next one. But had a wonderful afternoon at Bakewell

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have one at our local train station. Its very handy for popping into Glasgow. 20mins on the train and right into city centre, no parking hassle or fines.

Anyone travelling via M73 looking for an overnight stop and wanting to visit Glasgow its an ideal place to park up, its in a very quiet investment park. Local pub 5 min walk.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I think these are a great idea for folks like us. The first one I used was outside Durham, relaxed parking, a 15 minute wait for a pleasant, hassle-free bus journey in to the city centre. Great! Then I tried (being the operative word) to do it in a few other cities this weekend. Arrived at the entrance and a 6ft height bar across the entrance brought me to a sudden halt. No warning until then. The buses used a different, specific entrance...... Didn't visit that city. Or the next one. But had a wonderful afternoon at Bakewell
The P+Rs are probably run by the city councils, so may be worth sending them (addressed to the mayor) a letter pointing out how much business they are loosing by stopping the motorhome community using their service.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Ones in Exeter are the same. Locked at 7.30pm until 6am & overnight parking is specifically banned.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Truro P&R to the W of the city has a dedicated mh area, and the 2nd one currently being built to the E will also have one. Even in the car we use the P&R as a matter of course, it's easier & cheaper than driving in and trying to park. (It stops at the college, the hospital, county hall, the railway station, the museum and the city centre.)
Most P&R's will tell you on their website whether or not there's a height barrier (or give a phone number so you can check), and some will tell you how you can still use the P&R - eg one where we had to "find the man in the little brick hut and he'll tell you where to park" - which turned out to be on the raised pavement where the bus shelters were, so we had to be extremely careful of wandering pedestrians!
@GJH 's resource is also very helpful if you have the luxury of planning in advance.
http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We used the Park and Ride beside Kelvin Bridge station in Glasgow as we were to meet friends in the city centre, went to get on the metro and they don't allow dogs on it (what's that all about ?) Checked which bus we needed to catch, only to find it didn't run on a Saturday. Ended up with our pals coming to meet us instead. The P&R is a nice site, next to the river and parkland though.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Ones in Exeter are the same. Locked at 7.30pm until 6am & overnight parking is specifically banned.

Have to disagree with you there I'm afraid. We were planning a visit to Exeter on our recent trip and I contacted Exeter City Council about overnight parking at Matford park and ride. Initially they said no overnight parking but when I queried this, as I had heard otherwise, I got an email confirming overnight parking is allowed in the overheight bays at this car park.

In the end we didn't stay there as the bays, looking on streetview, look far too short for our van.

Paul

Moran

Free Member
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2008
Hello!
My wife and I visited Bridgnorth, Shropshire a couple of weeks ago. There is an excellent "Park & Ride" system there. Plenty of space, no height barriers, free bus into the town and friendly guys to give you an indication where to park and a bus timetable. The bus does a round trip to and from the town about every 20 minutes.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
They are great until you have eleventeen pints of lager and forget you have parked up and need to drive home :(

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi and welcome @Moran :welc:

The Park and ride at Sealand Road Chester has dedicated parking for Motorhomes immediately you turn into the car park.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello @Moran
upload_2015-5-31_13-38-47.png

Check out the Far South-West Group - we'd love to have you join!

Moran

Free Member
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks to all the welcome messages. We are very new to the forum world and in fact, I'm not at all computer literate! Consequently, all the replies will be typed by wife!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Canterbury P&R is brilliant. Cost £3 including use of the bus as often as you like for up to 6 people. Has fresh water and toilet & waste water dump included as well. It is immediately after the barrier where you get the ticket.

Pay station is in the car park near where the buses stop. There's also a pub a short walk away.

Denise

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Truro P&R to the W of the city has a dedicated mh area, and the 2nd one currently being built to the E will also have one. Even in the car we use the P&R as a matter of course, it's easier & cheaper than driving in and trying to park. (It stops at the college, the hospital, county hall, the railway station, the museum and the city centre.)
Most P&R's will tell you on their website whether or not there's a height barrier (or give a phone number so you can check), and some will tell you how you can still use the P&R - eg one where we had to "find the man in the little brick hut and he'll tell you where to park" - which turned out to be on the raised pavement where the bus shelters were, so we had to be extremely careful of wandering pedestrians!
@GJH 's resource is also very helpful if you have the luxury of planning in advance.
http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/

Regarding the new Truro East site, I e-mailed Cornwall Council on 10th March because I wanted to be able to be able to advise those attending the Funsters meet at Carnon Downs in September.
Their reply, from Lee Quinney, who is the Councils Contracts Officer, stated that there would be no designated parking spaces for motorhomes at the new site. As only 4 spaces are set aside for motorhomes at the existing Truro West site, and these are always occupied by cars, there seems little point in providing spaces at the East side.
Stef.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Canterbury P&R is brilliant. Cost £3 including use of the bus as often as you like for up to 6 people. Has fresh water and toilet & waste water dump included as well. It is immediately after the barrier where you get the ticket.

Pay station is in the car park near where the buses stop. There's also a pub a short walk away.

Denise
Agree with this one

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We used the Park and Ride beside Kelvin Bridge station in Glasgow
Cant comment for that but our local one is very close to the M73 and M 8. Only building in the investment park is the MI 5 equivalent. Nice and quiet and trains don't run through the night. £3.80 return to city
@Jim Please can you take off the spell check feature for the word mate

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Regarding the new Truro East site ... there would be no designated parking spaces for motorhomes at the new site. As only 4 spaces are set aside for motorhomes at the existing Truro West site, and these are always occupied by cars, there seems little point in providing spaces at the East side.
Stef.
Gosh I didn't know they'd changed that, it's true there's rarely any mh in the designated part, mostly I've seen shorter vans parked up with the cars. They're just now adding electric car charging points to the West P&R.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Regarding the new Truro East site, I e-mailed Cornwall Council on 10th March because I wanted to be able to be able to advise those attending the Funsters meet at Carnon Downs in September.
Their reply, from Lee Quinney, who is the Councils Contracts Officer, stated that there would be no designated parking spaces for motorhomes at the new site. As only 4 spaces are set aside for motorhomes at the existing Truro West site, and these are always occupied by cars, there seems little point in providing spaces at the East side.
Stef.
Just used the Truro West P&R this morning (and last Thursday and Friday...)
No "motorhomes this way" signage on either entry as far as I can see.
This morning there were 4 PVC's in the mh area, and I could see 8 others around the site. When I got back from town 2 coachbuilts in the mh area as well.
I shall contact Mr Quinney re his previous statement & the plans for the Truro East P&R.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years

Denise
The Canterbury one is like that because there is a particularly keen person in charge of the city parking. It is a pity that nearly all these other places do not have the same instead we get bureaucratic jobworths that like to make rules saying, thou must not, instead thou shalt be able to. It makes a refreshing change and from the common reaction of the people on here thay like staying there and using the facilities of the City centre as well.

Reactions: CWH

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
If you visit the North Yorkshire coast, bot Scarborough and Whitby have a good a park & ride system and there are no height barriers,
If you go to Bridlington, follow the signs for the Coach Park as that has got special bays for motorhomes (£3-95 for 24 hours) and it is only 5 minutes walk to the town centre.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Canterbury one is like that because there is a particularly keen person in charge of the city parking. It is a pity that nearly all these other places do not have the same instead we get bureaucratic jobworths that like to make rules saying, thou must not, instead thou shalt be able to. It makes a refreshing change and from the common reaction of the people on here thay like staying there and using the facilities of the City centre as well.
Have you contacted any of the councils you accuse of being "bureaucratic jobworths that like to make rules saying, thou must not, instead thou shalt be able to" and giving them sound reasons (i.e. real evidence of benefits) why they might consider implementing a scheme like Canterbury has?

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Have you contacted any of the councils you accuse of being "bureaucratic jobworths that like to make rules saying, thou must not, instead thou shalt be able to" and giving them sound reasons (i.e. real evidence of benefits) why they might consider implementing a scheme like Canterbury has?

We recently stayed overnight on a council car park in Bury St Edmunds which suited us fine. I emailed the relevant councillor to say 'well done' and mention the benefit to the local economy etc. I think it can't do any harm to remind the powers that be that there is a benefit in allowing overnight parking.

I wasn't so lucky with Norwich City Council who allow motorhome parking at the Costessey park and ride (no height barrier) but not overnight parking, due apparently to the conditions in the traffic regulation order that governs the site. Maybe I'll have to have another go.

Paul

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Have to disagree with you there I'm afraid. We were planning a visit to Exeter on our recent trip and I contacted Exeter City Council about overnight parking at Matford park and ride. Initially they said no overnight parking but when I queried this, as I had heard otherwise, I got an email confirming overnight parking is allowed in the overheight bays at this car park.

In the end we didn't stay there as the bays, looking on streetview, look far too short for our van.

Paul

Well from its inception it always closed at 7,30pm ( daughter couldn't use it is how I always knew) & just checking their site it still states that overnighting is not allowed on any of their sites.

" All Park and Ride car parks will be locked between 7:30pm and 6am on Park and Ride operating days. On other days they will remain locked. Overnight parking is not permitted on any Park and Ride site."

from here:

https://new.devon.gov.uk/roadsandtransport/parking/park-and-ride/

You 'd think they sort it out wouldn't you?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Looking at the satellite on google, it looks as though the overheight spaces are outside the barriers. But they do seem short ie MPV size.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
There are so many of them and one of me, which ones would you like me to contact?
I was in Canterbry car park and ride And I noticed that MH part was nearly fullup and with a lot of foreign vans too. I did see my first Funster badge there as well it was a Very smart Hobby in a striking black and white colour scheme, I did see someone moving around but would not impose on them.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Well from its inception it always closed at 7,30pm ( daughter couldn't use it is how I always knew) & just checking their site it still states that overnighting is not allowed on any of their sites.

" All Park and Ride car parks will be locked between 7:30pm and 6am on Park and Ride operating days. On other days they will remain locked. Overnight parking is not permitted on any Park and Ride site."

from here:

https://new.devon.gov.uk/roadsandtransport/parking/park-and-ride/

You 'd think they sort it out wouldn't you?

I suppose councils have always been the same - one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

This is the email I received from Exeter City Council, anyone having a problem at Matford park and ride could probably quote this. I can supply the name of the author of the email if needed of course but I didn't want to get anyone grief.

Dear Mr xxxxxxx

Thank you for your reply.

I have been advised that parking in one of the overheight bays situated just outside of the Matford Park & Ride site would be okay.

Unfortunately most of our other car parks are situated within residential areas and we have in the past had complaints from local residents regarding noise etc coming from motorhomes and camper vans being stayed within overnight which is why we can no longer accommodate these vehicles.

Yours sincerely

xxxxx xxxxx

Car Parks

Exeter City Council

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread