First Long Trip Away (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
I'm just back home from my first long trip away, well it was too me. 17 days in Devon and Cornwall. Emma did very well up and down those very steep hills in narrow lanes I held my breath and folded my side mirrors in, but we did it. Washing on the line books out where will we go next?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would love to go my brother lives there, but I've never driven abroad it's my challenge!
It really isn't a challenge and not much of a drive from where you live. Stay in aires and it will be no more expensive than a UK trip - including the cost of getting there, and probably cheaper.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I think it's cheaper to go to France and use the aires than staying in the UK where you have to mainly use campsites; although a bit cheaper if you belong to one of the clubs such as C&CC and use THSs, though these seem to be getting nearly as dear as some campsites.

Denise

Upvote 0

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
France.

You'll never be happy going anywhere else ever again.

As for the driving on the right thing don't worry you become sort of reprogrammed in a matter of minutes. It worried me before setting off first time, hand on heart I can't even recall thinking about it when I drove off the chunnel. You soon start looking left at islands and T junctions.

When you've done it once and pottered down through Normandy and Brittany staying at stunning locations (some free, most a fiver) you'll soon be back in here telling all the other noobs "Go to France". Just wait and see.

There's a reason we all say it;)

To put it into perspective I have just parted with 64 quid for 2 nights on a site in Barmouth this week. We spent less than 30 quid on Aires for one whole week set in beautiful rolling Brittany countryside, some of them over the road from huge empty beaches, most of them on the edge of quaint rustic French villages with cheap Lidls and fantastic outdoor food markets.

Don't think about it like we did for 4 or 5 years. Just go. You'll put more effort into discussing it than it actually takes to get there and start listening to the Tom Tom.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Indy259
Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
OK you have all convinced me, now I just need to get vouchers from Tesco for the train!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I'm gutted, you came to Devon and never popped in to say hi, I love meeting funsters you don't need to feel obliged to say on our site am happy just to have a natter and maybe give you a drink or tour whatever.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Indy259
Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
I'm very sorry to have upset you Wildman, I will be back so I will look your site up, I have only met funsters on here so far so you'll be the first!

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
To put it into perspective I have just parted with 64 quid for 2 nights on a site in Barmouth this week.

£64 !............£64!! :eek::eek::eek: Crikey! I thought we'd gone over the top at £35 total over the last 5 weeks away in Italy and Germany;)

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I would love to go my brother lives there, but I've never driven abroad it's my challenge!
I find driving abroad, even in a RHD vehicle more pleasurable than driving in the UK. If I make a mistake, i get tooted at like mad, but am allowed to make my manouver, in uk would be cut up and probably verbally abused.
Roads are quieter too, not unusual to travel for 20k without seeing another vehicle. Just remember French have a nasty habit of having speed cameras, just at the end of their restrictions so dont speed up in anticipation when leaving a town. Do most of the driving love it. :)

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Remember when approaching a town or village the town/village name sign is the speed limit start & when ends when exiting T/V sign with lines thru. they are quite strict !!!!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back