Gas Goes Out When I Close Oven Door (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Advice please before I have to contact Nickwhale yet again about our new IH630RL. The oven is a thetford caprice MK3 with a separate oven and grill. The oven lights perfectly easily but if I open the door to check on food or add something the gas stays on but as soon as I close door the gas goes out. It will relight easily. The first few times I used oven it was very windy so I blamed that or my muppetry but now having been away a few times this is definitely the sequence of events. I cannot see anything in manual and the FAQs online are a bit sparce.
I think it must be a fault but then did wonder if it was a bizarre and rather irritating safety feature so that you dont lea ve the oven on by accident.
Thanks in advance.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do you just have the oven on or the grill as well.

It may be you need the door open to use the grill and closing the door interupts the gas supply to the whole cooker.

Opps...just seen they are seperate.

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you! I think it must be a fault, it's just that we have had so many problems that my heart sinks at the thought of yet another fight to get anything done. It all lights up initially so would have passed any initial checks so I can't blame anyone but the whole saga has been a real pain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Agreed....it must be some kind of door safety interlock to interrupt the gas supply as just closing the door will never cause enough draft to put out the flame.

BUT....I had a look through the parts list for your model and there is no mention of safety interlocks or anything similar.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
We had something very similar in ours,

Took a while to sort and I cannot remember the exact details, but to do with the roof vents and doors being open and wind direction, was odd that it would not stay alight on some trips (for days on end) but was fine on others not problems for days,

Maybe worth trying to make a diary with door /window and vent position to see a pattern. If nothing else will give you firm details time and dates when it went out, always a better argument that just saying that it always does

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you so much for your trouble Pappajohn. I know it will be sorted in the end but all the problems have taken the shine off the excitement of a new van. I will contact them on Monday.

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
Ours does the same and in the instruction book it says to light it and leave the door open a couple of inches for 2 minutes and then close it and it does indeed work.

Deleted User
Carolyn,

Deb has just tried ours and it does not go out when you close the oven door, we are parked up in a well sheltered spot with no wind whatsoever though.

Daft question I suppose, but is your gas fully turned on? (the valve under the near side bunk)

If there is a truma service centre near you, I'm sure you can go direct to them without going through the dealer for a test/repair (this may be less frustrating)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
W
Ours does the same and in the instruction book it says to light it and leave the door open a couple of inches for 2 minutes and then close it and it does indeed work.

We had the same problem and were told to leave the oven door open as well, just for a few minutes, it works ok, but you do have to keep an eye on it.

Ginny

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Carolyn,

Deb has just tried ours and it does not go out when you close the oven door, we are parked up in a well sheltered spot with no wind whatsoever though.

Daft question I suppose, but is your gas fully turned on? (the valve under the near side bunk)

If there is a truma service centre near you, I'm sure you can go direct to them without going through the dealer for a test/repair (this may be less frustrating)

Why would Truma repair a Thetford piece of equipment?

D.

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
I have seen this before, not in a MH but in a fitted kitchen, if the cabinet holding the oven is air tight, when the door is opened or closed fast, the airflow can put the flame out. Try closing the door very slowly, if this works get some ventilation holes drilled into the cabinet

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Well spotted, any advice on the cause/remedy for Carolyn?

Not especially, I find it difficult to give worthwhile advice on problems I have no experience of. I do find it hard to believe the manufacturers would fit a gas shutoff on the oven door as ovens by their very nature are intended to be used with the door shut. My guess (and at this point it is just that) is poor ventilation to the oven so that when the door is shut the burner simply run out of oxygen. Without seeing the actual vehicle I can offer no further advice.

D.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We had a problem with a gas ring-it lit ok but when you put a pan on it,it went out. Cleaning the jets cured the problem.
Btw-do you have a nice blue flame when it's lit? You should have.

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the ideas, have tried oven when the sliding van door is open and oven stayed on so this oxygen idea maybe it. Think I will monitor it carefully for a week or two. I will try to be less heavy handed closing oven door as well.

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Andrew from Thetford came today and found fault instantly, it was the thermocouple, the screw was a bit loose, apparently it would have just got looser which is why it seemed intermittent and I thought that it was me doing something daft. Thanks for the advice though everyone. He explained exactly what was happening with it and although I listened intently I am afraid it went into my ear but then failed to connect with the technology receptors again so suffice it to say it was like not being earthed properly apparently.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back