Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Can anyone advise please?
The garage door has gradually become stiffer and we wonder how the hinges are supposed to be greased as there's nothing obvious (Les believes that wd40 shouldn't be used).
Photos att'd - please ignore the grime, been tied up hospital visiting.
Cheers
Deb
IMG_20150530_115202.jpg

IMG_20150530_115139.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Its because its aluminium on aluminium I guess, both have furred up.
If would be good to remove the plastic covers and try and get some thicker oil down the length of the hinge.
If you could lift the door of and grease the pivots - even better.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Its because its aluminium on aluminium I guess, both have furred up.
If would be good to remove the plastic covers and try and get some thicker oil down the length of the hinge.
If you could lift the door of and grease the pivots - even better.
Thanks for this.....Les will have a go shortly

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Grease would be better than oil. If that top cap is plastic and can be popped off I'd get some good old gundgy greasy down there with a grease gun.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I had the same problem on locker doors, new hinges were available at £40 a pair ( not even gold plated nor fitting included) so plan B remove doors from van,remove hinges from doors and using copious squirts of penetrating oil, some muscle and a vice managed to free up the hinge movement take apart, clean up oil and replace. Now all sorted. The problem is caused by the reaction between the aluminium hinge body and the brass hinge pin,allied to time grime and no maintenance by the previous owner.
You need to fix them now because stage two of the problem is for the aluminium hinge to fatigue, crack and fracture!!

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had a similar problem on mine. The Hymer handbook says use non-acid grease. I used silicone grease but in order to apply it properly, the door(s) need to be unhinged and the hinge-pins exposed so that they can be cleaned and re-greased. It was a bit fiddly getting the habitation and garage doors off, but worth while. (In fact, I combined it with removing the fly screen door so that I could fit new mesh.)
I found that trying to force lubricant down the hinges from the top plugs did not work. Also, don't use WD40 or similar as it just makes the problem worse over time.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
WD40 is often suggested for such things then other people come along and say in the long run it attracts water (Never found that myself but will rely on the word of others). I would suggest building a dam out of putty or plasticine around the top of the hinge then filling with 3 in one oil and allow it to gradually work its way through the hinge pin.

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Remove the hinges and separate the parts of each. Clean the pins with emery tape and drill out the plastic lined bodies (5mm from memory but best to check diameter of the pins). Re-assemble with a suitable lubricant.

D.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have had a similar problem on mine. The Hymer handbook says use non-acid grease. I used silicone grease but in order to apply it properly, the door(s) need to be unhinged and the hinge-pins exposed so that they can be cleaned and re-greased. It was a bit fiddly getting the habitation and garage doors off, but worth while. (In fact, I combined it with removing the fly screen door so that I could fit new mesh.)
I found that trying to force lubricant down the hinges from the top plugs did not work. Also, don't use WD40 or similar as it just makes the problem worse over time.

I didn't know you could get replacement fly screen mesh, could you say where from please.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Remove the hinges and separate the parts of each. Clean the pins with emery tape and drill out the plastic lined bodies (5mm from memory but best to check diameter of the pins). Re-assemble with a suitable lubricant.

D.
Thanks all for the replies
Dave could I ask please - specifically how do the pins come out? Do you hammer from the top or bottom please?
Thanks.

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

D.
Pretty much what I did with mine Dave, except I didn't have to drill out the plastic linings.

Upvote 0
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Think they lift up so from the bottom or at least that's how our caravan works.

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thanks all for the replies
Dave could I ask please - specifically how do the pins come out? Do you hammer from the top or bottom please?
Thanks.

Depending on how badly they are seized they may just lift off or may need tapping apart with a hammer, in extreme cases they will be seized solid and replacement is the only realistic option.

D.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Depending on how badly they are seized they may just lift off or may need tapping apart with a hammer, in extreme cases they will be seized solid and replacement is the only realistic option.

D.
Sorry to be dim :blusher: but the hinge is about 7 inches long with the pin running the full length of the hinge - this means the door can't lift off, any ideas exactly how you get the pin out please?

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to be dim :blusher: but the hinge is about 7 inches long with the pin running the full length of the hinge - this means the door can't lift off, any ideas exactly how you get the pin out please?
Swing the door open then it should lift off. In my case, each hinge was a three-part unit (one base plate hinge attached to the frame, the centre one for the Remis fly-screen door and the other attached to the hab door hinge). The bottom one was fitted upside down so had to be removed before the door could be lifted off the top two hinges. In other words, the top leaf of the top two hinges was attached to the door and the bottom leaf of the bottom hinge also - thereby preventing the door from lifting up in normal use.

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

Debs I don't mean to be rude but if you can't see how to remove the door perhaps you should take it to a workshop for repair.

D.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Debs I don't mean to be rude but if you can't see how to remove the door perhaps you should take it to a workshop for repair.

D.
Thanks everyone, Les oiled the hinge yesterday so is hoping that helps, not sure if the hinge is different to what most others are (it's on an Adria A class)....but worst case scenario we will get it in somewhere Dave.
Cheers
Deb

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Can anyone advise please?
The garage door has gradually become stiffer and we wonder how the hinges are supposed to be greased as there's nothing obvious (Les believes that wd40 shouldn't be used).
Photos att'd - please ignore the grime, been tied up hospital visiting.
Cheers
Deb
View attachment 64233
View attachment 64234
Had this problem on three tug hinges on a German built Fendt. I drilled and tapped then fitted grease nipples, pumped the centre (moving) section full of grease, until it started to show at the top and bottom, removed the grease nipples, and fitted push in plastic caps, then wiped off the surplus grease. (y)

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ar
Thanks everyone, Les oiled the hinge yesterday so is hoping that helps, not sure if the hinge is different to what most others are (it's on an Adria A class)....but worst case scenario we will get it in somewhere Dave.
Cheers
Deb[/Q
fix it meet next week debs I will fix it for you give it a spray with WD40 or duck oil to get you by till next week it will be first job on my the list
bill

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back