Vincemacca

Free Member
Jan 13, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I have a twin camera fitted by Marquis in Tewkesbury on a new van 20 months ago. Unfortunately, I have a failure in one of the cables .... (checked by swapping out etc).
Note: two cameras = 2 cables but will discuss just one of them.
The cable has a 3.5mm Jack socket to the rear of the van which the camera lead/s (fitted with a 3.5mm Plug) plug into. The cable then has some form of filter moulded on it before passes through the van etc to a 4 din mini where it enters a block along with the cable from the other camera, before emerging as a single cable to the clip on screen fitted to the mirror.
Marquis as per usual have been poor with their service declaring its over a year old and the warranty has run out and you need an entire new setup ...... this just for a cable fault!!!.
My question is does anyone have a similar setup (2013 van) and do they know where they bought it from, as Marquis don't know where they got it from even though the likelihood is the manufacturer probably offers 2 year warranty as many do. I have searched and searched but with no success.

AS an aside they we equally unhelpful when the electric step motor failed and the step would not come out and wanted a min of £36 +vat to look at it to see it it was warranty claim. I got a motor from H Bowers for 28.75 +vat (see my post Thule V10 Step) and fitted it myself (even checking the aligment of the gears before fitting) in 22 mins!!!
This are just two instances of a very poor service from Marquis since I bought the vehicle, so I'd never give them the pleasure of selling me a van again.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
as it is established that it is a cable fault why not just make and instal a new cable, check terminals first one of those may have failed. Also check for mouse damage.

OP
OP
V

Vincemacca

Free Member
Jan 13, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Cable is undamaged throughout - the filter is the problem and locating suppliers of the correct cable is also difficult (I have an email in with armourauto). Thanks for taking time to reply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
V

Vincemacca

Free Member
Jan 13, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
thanks for that ...... I have emailed them mentioning from the sales of goods act 'reasonable length of time' for a product to give service .... thanks

Reactions: CWH

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Try DRW they go to a lot of shows,also try vision uk we use these for work my be able to help.

OP
OP
V

Vincemacca

Free Member
Jan 13, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Have emailed Marquis and they have replied saying they cannot do anything. So now its off to see what my position is .... Need to contact small claims court or something like that - not sure who as it is a first for me!

Also Will try DRW and vision ...thanks

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
If you need advice start with citizens advice bureau. They are very helpful.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
My experiences with Marquis Tewkesbury have all been less than successful, even when trying to buy a new motorhome from them. When I called in to discuss a prospective purchase all the more senior salesmen were unavailable, so the receptionist said I could have a chat with the "numpty", who turned out to be an apprentice salesperson and knew nothing about the van I was interested in. What a strange way to describe your own staff.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Cable is undamaged throughout - the filter is the problem and locating suppliers of the correct cable is also difficult (I have an email in with armourauto). Thanks for taking time to reply.

Might be wrong... but... I used to have a wired intercom on my M/C.. Supplied by Autocom.

One of the leads passed close to engine and picked up "noise" ... Autocom - the supplier sent me another lead with a filter fitted in-line... This cured the problem..

The cables were of the3.5m jack type :)

Two things come to mind...

A. Do you actually need the filter - if wiring is not passed near to anything that might give you "interference" ..

B. Autocom - are very nice people ... and many be able to assist with a replacement "suppressed" cable .... I say this after having a conversation with them at the time ... where they explained the "techy" stuff... and seemed to know exactly what was required etc...

Just a thought!...

OP
OP
V

Vincemacca

Free Member
Jan 13, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Thanks for this - I will contact AUTOCOM. What has annoyed me was the way Marquis just washed their hands of it and said its out of warranty therefore you need to get a new one. There was no offer of help, a free look at it or anything like that. I know the van is the not the most expensive but it is still £40K that I have had to work hard to pay off. Throughout they have less than impressed from day one, right from the start - it has always felt they are doing me a favour helping out - even the door step failed the other day and it was going to cost more for them to take a look at it than it was to but it - undo the one 10mm nut, remove two spade connectors and refit.... it took 12mins.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
CAB first and then trading standards and then small claims court. The small claims court is an easy process and you don't need a lawyer for a simple case - any questions about how to fill the forms in and the CAB will help :)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Just another thought.....

If you don't need a "supressor" on the lead you can get an ordinary 3.5 jack type - long lead - from places like Maplins etc...

I bought one some yrs back that was the length of my lounge.. To plug my PC laptop output into a surround sound system...

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The suppressor, if it is cylindrical, is simply a ferrite choke. The cable passes through a hole in the centre of it. There are NO internal connections and it cannot go faulty.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
The suppressor, if it is cylindrical, is simply a ferrite choke. The cable passes through a hole in the centre of it. There are NO internal connections and it cannot go faulty.
Here's a pic of the one supplied by Autocom...
Can't see what's inside .....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 41

Terry and Jan

Free Member
Feb 25, 2014
Saltash,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I find Marquis a waste of time. I had a set of windscreen blinds supplied and fitted by them (around £800.00) when I came to use them the first time found they had been fitted wrongly. I was away so emailed them twice, no reply in the end on the phone, kicked up sh.t big style. they put it right, just about. Workmanship was cr.p. Came to habitation check after first year of ownership, thought in warranty will take it to them for check. Told me £60 per hour, takes 3 hours, thought okay.....Total bill......£220 oh yea plus VAT. I will be after a brand new one in four years time, Marquis......no chance.

OP
OP
V

Vincemacca

Free Member
Jan 13, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Finally sorted. Turns out cable is a bit of a bespoke item and it was held in stock at marques. They were really helpful in the end. But only after I was going to go to court over it. With what I have seen so far their workmanship needs to have some quality control in place. Hopefully with a new service manager in place it will get better. Fingers crossed. Btw dash light still glowing!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back