Scams When Purchasing A Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Sharon Ebbs

Free Member
May 27, 2015
Thanet
Funster No
MH
hymer S700
Exp
im a newbie
we have just been scamed by the seller of the hymer we brought from him. We brought it using google wallet from a guy called Ian Oliver or that what he says he's name is! he claims to live in Scotland.
but it turns out he made the whole thing up including a fake web site. we got sucked in and have learnt the hard way and probably won't get our money back...........so back to the saving!!
just thought i would let every one know about this so you don't get caught out.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
That's so awful, I feel for you. There are some very unpleasant people out there.
I hope it doesn't put you off getting a motorhome in the future and meanwhile keep looking in here on FUN and getting to know lots of new friends.
While you're saving, maybe hire a mh from time to time - you'll learn lots and can even get to some FUN rallies if that's your thing?
Things will get better!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I very nearly got suckered by a sob story recently by luckily I already have a van so was a member here and remembered reading skmethi g about it. It would be great if you could share details of the scam so that other members can be simarly warned.. Have you approached Google wallet to try and get a refund? If your wallet was connected to a credit card you may also get some help from them.. good luck and hope you get your cash back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
we have just been scamed by the seller of the hymer we brought from him. We brought it using google wallet from a guy called Ian Oliver or that what he says he's name is! he claims to live in Scotland.
but it turns out he made the whole thing up including a fake web site. we got sucked in and have learnt the hard way and probably won't get our money back...........so back to the saving!!

I was within a gnats gonad of being caught last year. I sussed it at the last moment and did not get hit. When the (Eastern European) scammer realised that the game was up and it had been reported to ebay, he sent me an email saying "we know where you live - better lock your doors and windows Steve...." Probably the scariest and most chilling thing I have ever heard. It was some time before I slept properly. Total scum.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Oh dear I am so sorry to hear this, the internet is full of scammers enough to really put people off ever buying. However there is one golden rule, NEVER part with cash until you have the goods in your hand most means of money transfer can result in it disappearing. I know you are suffering at the moment but please take the time to give us as much information as you can about where you saw the advert, if you ever actually saw the van and what checks you ran, anything that could help pinpoint the scammer and prevent anyone else suffering the same fate. Presumably the police have been informed and their internet fraud squad is on the case.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
These horrid excuses from humanity can sound so plausible.

I think @mjltigger 's advice is sound and perhaps you should follow that up.

I was at my parents' house today and luckily stopped my Mum from falling for a scammer....... this one a letter sent in the post.

If you do see another motorhome advertised that you are interested in a Funster living locally to where the an is supposed to be will usually offer to go and check it out for you.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sadly the conmen know all the tricks and rely on people being gullible or greedy. normally the story is the van is in Scotland and seller working on an oil rig or in the army. and the van is way way cheaper than its real value. payment via paypal, western union or google etc

theres always going to be a few people fall for the scam

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
sadly the conmen know all the tricks and rely on people being gullible or greedy. normally the story is the van is in Scotland and seller working on an oil rig or in the army. and the van is way way cheaper than its real value. payment via paypal, western union or google etc

theres always going to be a few people fall for the scam
Unfortunately TheBig1 is right. The address is usually an Army depot in Scotland. Really sorry to hear that you have been scammed - these people are very skilled

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
the van was advertised on caravansforsale.co.uk

I'm afraid that site is well known for scam sellers. I'm sure some are genuine, then there's the ad that's below the real value--sometimes by a little, sometimes a lot.
I'm so sorry you've lost money, it leaves a mistrust I know.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
sorry about your scam we had a scam on ebay travelled to buy a m/h advertised as in good condition with a bankers draft for 20,000 was a load of crap walked away reported to ebay about this ,as mutch use as a pin prick a durex lol ray hope you get your money back if you then ask the funster family to look for a m/h for you good luck

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am really sorry you got caught by this scam. I know it's too late for advice but here goes.

This is what I tell my mum, her friends and any people I meet who are not internet savvy.

1) If you receive an email from someone you don't know. It is a scam.
2) if you receive an email from someone you know and it has an attachment. it is a scam unless they told you they were sending it first.
3) if someone phones you out of the blue it is a scam. (big one)
4) If you get a letter through the post from someone you don't know. It is a scam.
5) When buying something of value, don't pay until you have tried it out and are happy with it. This includes vehicles, computers, TV's etc. The only exception to this rule is if it is from a very well known supplier and you haven't followed (clicked) on a link to them. Amazon springs to mind as being on the consumers side.

It is a sad state of affairs these days. But basically if someone contacts you it is a scam. If you want something don't pay for it until you have it in your hands. The only exception to these rules is the old one about gambling. Don't bet more than you can afford to lose.

Without more details I can't offer specific advice. But as others have said. if your credit card was involved in any way you may have a chance of recovering the money. But even if you can't report it to the police, give as much detail as possible they may prevent someone else from getting scammed.

You really do have my heartfelt commiserations though.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Thanks for posting.......sorry you got caught..............doesn't seem that much is being done to stop theses scams..how did you pay?... bank transfer?... which bank? ...address of account?

:(

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
If these low life scumbags put this sort of effort into finding a real job they wouldn't have to do this sort of crap an be looking over their shoulders everyday, to me though they should not breath the same air as we do !

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Ebay is absolutely full of scam motorhome sales, the giveaway is usually the low price. I always report them but they are usually up for quite a few hours and could by then have hooked a victim.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You must be gutted. What a shame its happened. Never part with money until you are taking the goods away with you. Can you describe in more detail what happened. It might help someone else not to fall for the same scam. Usual saying..If its too good to be true it probably is.
There are lots of funsters up and down the country that would be willing to have a look at a motorhome for you, then if ok go and see it yourself and hopefully collect before parting with your cash.
I hope you somehow get your money back.

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Like others very nearly caught myself, whilst we were looking three motorhomes proved to be scams, two of these were on e bay, awful for you, you will get over it, add me to those willing to at least verify a van exists in my area.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Like all others on here, very sorry to hear your story, and I am always willing to have a look at any van in my area not to guarantee condition, but to verify that it is actually there and if the folks selling it are ok.
Suppose not much use to you now if you have lost your money, but if you get it back, you now know where to come for help.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry about your misfortune :mad:. I too was tempted by an Army based MH last year. I Googled as much information as possible and found plenty of advice & warning about this sort of advert.

When I bought & paid for (Before seeing it) our motorhome from Denmark I Googled all the people involved and found that the owner was part of a large Danish Heavy Haulage business and my contact worked for MAN trucks. That settled my mind that I could see who I was dealing with and they were bona fide. It still could've gone wrong but I was lucky.

My advice is Google everything and do research on the seller, if there's nothing there steer clear & if it seems too good to be true, IT IS!

Thanks for sharing your painful experience as the more people know and can search on the internet the less likely someone in the future will be tempted.

Antony

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Such a shame, and it leaves a bitter taste.
I would have never parted with money until I had seen the vehicle, and it is kosher, and it is what it said it is.
I have bought many vehicles from the net, but, never, ever, even given so much as a deposit before seeing, and checking.
If the seller is not prepared to wait until you get there, or demands a deposit, tough.
If it's not what is says in the ad, walk away. Then you have only 'lost' the cost of a day out, and 'gained' experience.
An HPI check is worth it too! I was on the verge of buying a Mercedes once, and the HPI check revealed outstanding finance, I confronted the seller on the phone, and he said, 'I was going to pay it off when I had your money'. No way! No sale to me!

Craig

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
How very sad, and you're taking it remarkably well. I would not be quite so pragmatic if it happened to me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back