Motorway Location Markers.. Interesting. (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
But how on earth did installing them cost £570 per sign? :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
reminds me when I got a puncture just after J44 on M6 heading into Scotland, pulled up on hard shoulder adjacent to the Stobarts depot, nice clear landmark, rang RAC on mobile who insisted on having the nearest marker number. Hard shoulder seemed very narrow not keen to get out into traffic so drove 100m to next marker on very flat tyre / alloy rim, quoted it. She said oh that must be one of the new ones we don't have that recorded yet. What did you say you can see? :mad::mad:

Fatwheels

Free Member
Apr 24, 2015
Sittingbourne
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just another example of the way km are gradually creeping into Great Britain just like litred and kilogram mess even the bbc only seem to quote distance in km now

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Just another example of the way km are gradually creeping into Great Britain just like litred and kilogram mess even the bbc only seem to quote distance in km now
decimal currency was the start of the rot

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
thats easy£70 for the sign £12 to the bloke who put it up and the rest divided by the seven layers of agencies and quangos
I wonder how much to the "consultant" who designed it? :LOL:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Did you not do your drivers cpc ?
Yes, Breaking down was not part of the course :p

But how on earth did installing them cost £570 per sign? :eek:

Probably £200 for the sign, the rest to cover the wages of the guy fitting them, the truck he used to drive there and all the tools, lane closures to fit them etc. I thought £570 was quite reasonable for a hazardous job like that.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You'd have change out of 57€ here. Lane closures ? :Eeek:
Have you seen how much equipment and people it requires to close a lane of traffic on a UK motorway? Risk assessments mean looking at what could possibly go wrong, judging probabilities and then putting a plan of action in to place to ensure that risk is minimised.

I just did the CPC course for truck drivers and my view of the H&S and risk assessment culture in this country has changed to exactly the opposite to what it used to be... I have gone all public sector in my head now and I think the H&S regime is not so nuts after all.

I am a little drunk at the moment but ask me another time and I will tell you a few stories as to why the H&S culture now exists as it is and why it is not just kind of sensible but actually and absolutely required.

With this in mind I think £570 is actually kind of cheap. If they had said £2K per post I would have been thinking yeah I could do it cheaper but whatever. At £3K a post I would have been wondering about gold plating shit.

Just something to think about. If you are like me you think yourself pretty average? That means that 50% of the population has less intelligence than you and will do progressively more stupid things as they fall further down that scale. You have two choices here. Either not employ them or put rules in place that protect them and you... This really does explain the whole H&S culture if you think about it.

Off to bed now to recover from the alcohol induced sleepiness I am suffering from...

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Actually @Gromett I'm completely with you on that, I absolutely believe in H&S - it's lives at risk. The problem is nobody fully explains WHY specific things are in place.
Another problem of course, when things SO go overboard, is the mis-interpretation, urban myth mentality fostered by insurance worries.

With motorway lane closures, or any roadworks, I agree it's highly hazardous and workers need all the protection they can get. When we were in Wyoming they were just starting to bring in some protection such as speed limits, there was a high death rate for highway construction workers, particularly for flaggers, so I thought I'd look it up. I couldn't find Wyoming individually but see this from the USA as a whole, where highway workers aren't so well protected as in the UK:

"Roadway work zones are hazardous both for motorists who drive through the complex array of signs, barrels, and lane changes and for workers who build, repair, and maintain our Nation’s streets, bridges, and highways.

Fatalities in construction and maintenance work zones are the focus of this topic page. Fatalities in construction and maintenance work zones averaged 778 from 1994 through 1999, 1060 from 2000 through 2006, and 669 from 2007 through 2012. Fatalities in construction and maintenance work zones reach a peak of 1,095 in 2003, declining to 609 in 2012. Texas, California, and Florida ranked as the three States with the most motor vehicle crash fatalities in construction and maintenance work zones in 2012—each with at least 50 deaths."

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/highwayworkzones/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back