Highlands In July, To Book Or Not? (1 Viewer)

Vouty

Free Member
Oct 9, 2012
West midlands
Funster No
MH
hymer s630
Exp
New
We're off up to the scottish Highlands for a 3 week trip in July - would have preferred to avoid high season but only time we are free. Plan to do arisaig, Skye harris ullapool amongst others.

We plan to use a mix of campsites and the odd 'wild' stopover here and there. I'd prefer not to book in advance to keep the itinery flexible, but just wondered if it might be wise to book some of them. How busy does the west c oast get in July?

Thanks in advance

Carl

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Cant say about campsites as there are so many wild camping spots in Scotland we rarely use them. Just go with the flow and enjoy your trip.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It will depend on how far north and or west you are going, Bunree CC site south of Fort William is ridiculously busy, it is quite nice but better suited to caravans, no local amenities, but that is probably the only site that will be fully booked, for me I would over the Conan ferry and wild camping on the other side of the loch

Scottish schools do break up earlier than our though, so sites might be full of kids!!

Have fun, let us know how it goes and where you get to, there are plenty of us always looking where to go next, or for that matter where to avoid (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2014
Stockport Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Advantgard
Exp
7 years
His

Just back from my Hebredes and highland trip

Lots of wild camping spots were lay-bys that were attached to the roads not good p,aces to stay. But I'm not saying there isn't any

I have grandchildren at the moment but I will post where we stayed on the Hebredes when I say bye bye to them

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
His

Just back from my Hebredes and highland trip

Lots of wild camping spots were lay-bys that were attached to the roads not good p,aces to stay. But I'm not saying there isn't any

I have grandchildren at the moment but I will post where we stayed on the Hebredes when I say bye bye to them
The secret is to do a bit of research, look at O.S. Maps for picnic sites etc. these usually have water and toilets ! Also look at Google Earth to "fine tune" where you might stop !
I have found that dead end roads that end up on beach car parks are a good spot ! Google Earth Tolsta for instance.12 miles from Stornoway.:restmycase::restmycase::restmycase:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Think about the Midges, check the forecast here MIDGES

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
as the west coast in July is a haven for the dreaded midge I would expect you would not need to book.

Reactions: CWH

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Go armed with Deet and a midge mask and you will be fine. Just avoid a camera :)

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Make sure you pack plenty of Smidge - which is THE best repellent on the market. Also, ensure your insect blinds are good enough to keep them out (Most are not!) I upgraded mine with "midge netting" a couple of years back - it really makes a difference. As for your question - Don't peg yourself down - camp wild. There are plenty of places in The Highlands. In particular, Harris provide specific places for wild camping, and more are being created. All you are asked to do is pay £5 per night via Paypal on your return.

http://www.westharristrust.org/camping/

OP
OP
Vouty

Vouty

Free Member
Oct 9, 2012
West midlands
Funster No
MH
hymer s630
Exp
New
Thanks, yep we already have some Smidge from our last trip - september last year was completely midge free due to a frost in late august. I dont think we'll be so lucky this time :(

I think we'll probably wing it and not book - if the midges get too much we can always beat a retreat to drier ground :)

We stayed at bunree in our teardrop caravan last year, as we needed a site with full facilities. Nice setting but not great for dogs and very busy.

Am thinking of resipole and sunnyside croft on mainland - will probably do some wilding on harris by the look of things...needs to be away from the road though with our two dogs.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Might be an idea to book the ferry back a day or two in advance..... not sure when the additional service from Stornoway to Ullapool starts, not such a long crossing with the new ship :)

Oct 24, 2014
Stockport Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Advantgard
Exp
7 years
Hia

Places we stayed
Weather was not kind to us at all gales storms everything WS thrown at us even the ferries were on Amber alert
But all these places were good for staying
Uig Skye
As you drive into Uig take the right at the side of the petrol station just before. Go up lane and turn left and go down onto car park. Leave the top for wagons
Ok and nice little pub

Stornaway
we stayed on car park. Came off ferry through gate second carpark on
right no problems
Uig Sands
6 Ardoil. Phone 01851672248
Timsgearraidh
HS2 9EU.
£1 showers chemical disposal and water

Lovely clean and heated shower and loos and a food preparation and washing up room

Unbelievable run by Ardoil village £2 per night per person
Leave in pot at cottage with red roof

You know your on the right track when you (cottage on the right)see Chess men on the left
Toilets etc are on the right
Go through gate on lane and park up on the left
Sand dunes behind and beach

Leverburgh
Ferry port car park
Elsan

South Uist
Lochboisdale tourist information £1 showers, toilets and elsan point

Oct 24, 2014
Stockport Cheshire
Funster No