Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

We have an old motorhome. The only way to fill up the water tank is by sticking a hose in the hole and filling it up manually. When we run out of water, we have to drive the motorhome to the tap and plug in the hose and fill it again manually.

If we can not park within 25 ft the tap I have to walk over and fill up my 25 Ltr water container but then I have no way of getting the water into the tank.

I saw this on Amazon but it says it doesn't pump uphill and if the container is on the floor it would need to pump upwards into the tank. The only way to get over this would be to try and lift the container on the roof which is ridiculous.

My question is, does anyone know of any pump that is 12v or battery operated that would do the job? I'm sure there must be other funsters in the same boat as me. Or rather in the same motorhome :)

Tec.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I use one of these = Broken Link Removed

It`s easy to put a 12 volt socket just inside the nearest locker... and I have put an "Inline" switch on the cable.. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Really never found this a problem-fill up before parking,then I have a 10ltr plastic 'jerrycan' with a spout.If tap is any distance away then I have light folding sack truck to transport it (and also toilet cassette ) (y)
Watering can is good,but,I found shape made storage tricky in our little van :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hmm all good ideas. I guess I was being a bit lazy. If the 60 litre tank runs out then instead of doing 6 trips with a jerry can it would have been nice to just keep it topped up and only have to fill it every 25 litres. What with two of us and showers and drinking water and washing up etc we can get though 60 litres in a couple of days and then I'm basically pouring water into a kettle and boiling it as I can't get it in the tank if the hose doesn't reach the tap.

I like the idea of Old-Mo's pump. I can feed the 12v connector through a window and stick it in the 12v charger I guess.

Alternatively I wonder if I can get a spout for my 25ltr so I can just lift it up and pour it in. I looked for one similar to the flexible ones you get on petrol cans but it was the wrong size screw in so I tried using a funnel but it would have taken an hour and I would need someone to hold the funnel lol.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
The water container I've got is this one, but the petrol can spouts don't fit it and my local camping shop doesn't have anything to fit it.

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The water container I've got is this one, but the petrol can spouts don't fit it and my local camping shop doesn't have anything to fit it.

go to some where that they have aide blue the fillers off them should fit when the lorry driver fill up with the stuff they some times don't use the filer adapters but ade blue in none toxic any way and a good rinse with hot water
will do the job
pity you weren't nearer as I have some that haven't ben used
bill

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can use a piece of domestic white waste pipe, a 90 degree bend, and a funnel to make a filler to put in the hole and pour the water in, the green funnel I use is something I picked up ages ago (can't remember where) but before this I just used the standard round black ones and removed the gauze filter in it (just poke/cut it out) otherwise it slows the water down.

In addition we have a couple of water containers - a 20L collapsible and a 5L rigid:

funnel 1.JPG
funnel 3.JPG
water - containers.jpg

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Alternatively I wonder if I can get a spout for my 25ltr so I can just lift it up and pour it in. I looked for one similar to the flexible ones you get on petrol cans but it was the wrong size screw in so I tried using a funnel but it would have taken an hour and I would need someone to hold the funnel lol.
Just a thought - your 25L can will be HEAVY when full at 25kg = a sack of spuds so I don't think you'll lift it and certainly not for long enough to be able to empty the contents! I'd be tempted to ditch it and get a couple of smaller ones, either 2 x 15L rigids or a couple of collapsible 15/20L ones as they will be easier to carry (one in each hand) and store.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's amazing what you can make out of a couple of toilet roll inserts and an egg box. I feel a play school moment coming on. (am i showing my age?)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just a thought - your 25L can will be HEAVY when full at 25kg = a sack of spuds so I don't think you'll lift it and certainly not for long enough to be able to empty the contents! I'd be tempted to ditch it and get a couple of smaller ones, either 2 x 15L rigids or a couple of collapsible 15/20L ones as they will be easier to carry (one in each hand) and store.

It's fairly heavy but ok to lift. don't have any trouble with lifting it up, but then after about a minute it starts getting really heavy so if it takes 10 minutes to fill then there is no way I could hold it for that long. Can't wait to upgrade to something more modern. I'll be selling her in October at the end of the season as I am hoping to upgrade for next year so it's only a short term problem but we have at least another 6 weekends plus a fortnight away this year so it would be nice to find a solution.

These are all great ideas though and I will try and find the one that works for me.

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
It's amazing what you can make out of a couple of toilet roll inserts and an egg box. I feel a play school moment coming on. (am i showing my age?)
the blue peter ones were better :rofl: Valery singleton
article-0-01AC08E500000578-523_314x414[1].jpg in my early teens the most gorges thing on earth
bill

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi all,

We have an old motorhome. The only way to fill up the water tank is by sticking a hose in the hole and filling it up manually. When we run out of water, we have to drive the motorhome to the tap and plug in the hose and fill it again manually.

If we can not park within 25 ft the tap I have to walk over and fill up my 25 Ltr water container but then I have no way of getting the water into the tank.

I saw this on Amazon but it says it doesn't pump uphill and if the container is on the floor it would need to pump upwards into the tank. The only way to get over this would be to try and lift the container on the roof which is ridiculous.

My question is, does anyone know of any pump that is 12v or battery operated that would do the job? I'm sure there must be other funsters in the same boat as me. Or rather in the same motorhome :)

Tec.
Thought that was how they all filled, why not just get a longer hose, we have a hose that's only about twelve foot and never failed to get close enough to fill up in four years in about six countries, we have a long garden hose on board as well but never had to use it , so it will be chucked out at the next clean up.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Another vote for the Whale pump in Old Mo link (y) dead easy to use and store ;)
terry
edit I use mine simply by holding the bare wires onto my battery drill battery -cannot get any simpler than that :)

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Thought that was how they all filled, why not just get a longer hose, we have a hose that's only about twelve foot and never failed to get close enough to fill up in four years in about six countries, we have a long garden hose on board as well but never had to use it , so it will be chucked out at the next clean up.
we have one of those hose that grow when you switch the water on never had a problem getting water on day 5 of our free loading free camping holiday just ben to the local shop for breakfast stuff sigs and paper
we had venison last night bought Frome the local deer farm
bill

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I use the same method a MinxGirl but the elbow I use is 80mm waste pipe version which fits nicely into the bigger bore, the recycles for the cap and then you don't need the funnel.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie

No, the newer ones seem to plug in and keep the tank topped up. I think they have an external water pump built in that you just plug your aqua roll into or something. My one is just a hole in the side of the van that you fill in with a hose.

On your second question, I have a 25 Mt hose and I go to a lot of steam rally's, county shows etc. There is no movement of vehicles once these events are open to the public and there is usually only one water tap in the whole showground so for me it is a regular problem. Not so much if staying on a campsite but definitely at public events.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Do any of these submersible pumps come with 12v chargers already connected? (like the ones that go in the cigarette lighter) I can fit a bit of hose but maybe not so good with electrics.

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
10 Litre watering, like others have said..... cheap, easy, reliable (y)

You will have the added bonus of a little bit of exercise too :D

We have kept our 100 litre tank topped up this way for the last two years. To save so many trips to the tap I carry the watering can and a 10l jerrycan, one in each hand......balanced and comfortable :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
10 Litre watering, like others have said..... cheap, easy, reliable (y)

You will have the added bonus of a little bit of exercise too :D

We have kept our 100 litre tank topped up this way for the last two years. To save so many trips to the tap I carry the watering can and a 10l jerrycan, one in each hand......balanced and comfortable :)

Sorry you lost me when you said "excercise". :coolest:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
I know people have said the 25 Ltr would be too heavy so to get a 10 Ltr one. However, I could just put 10 Ltrs of water in my 25 Ltr container, or is that too controversial? Lol. The unions will be out in force on this one. :)

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I know people have said the 25 Ltr would be too heavy so to get a 10 Ltr one. However, I could just put 10 Ltrs of water in my 25 Ltr container, or is that too controversial? Lol. The unions will be out in force on this one. :)
Yeah, but that would require twice the amount of 'exercise' haha ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tecnikal

Tecnikal

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Think I may have found what I am looking for. I think this is the right size for fitting onto a water container. If it is then I can just lift the container up and pour it in.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The problem is that carrying a single heavy container is more difficult than 2 'matched' containers which balance the weight rather than have it all to one side, they are also easier to store (especially if you use the collapsible ones) and if one develops a leak you still have the other.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Why not drive nearer the tap and fill up thats why its got an engine. I can never see why people buy a motorhome if they want to sit in one place on a site for a week at a time that's what caravans are for

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back