Fill water before or after departure to campsite? (1 Viewer)

S

suzieq

Deleted User
Is it better to fill the pottable water in the tanks after you arrive at the campsite? We just bought our first camper. Its a Sandpiper, 19ft. :cry:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Water is heavy and will cost you dearly in extra fuel so the trick is to always travel with as little as possible. You will soon know how much is enough. Running out is a pain so you just need to carry just enough. You can then fill up on site when you arrive.

EDIT: Just noticed that was your first post - Welcome to the fun:thumb::Smile:

bald eagle

Free Member
Jan 30, 2009
here,there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 1998
Hi suzieq
We always travel with empty water tank ,reason being fuel cost are less.
and should you travel with water on board the motorhome will not handle
correctly because the water moves about.

regards
bald eagle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Everyone has their own take on this one...

I used the van in January and then drained down the water systems (fresh tank + boiler).

Prior to using it this weekend (Newark) I filled up the fresh tank with 30ltr ... the boiler (water heater :winky:) takes at least 10 litres of this.

With the van on the drive on ehu I left the water heater (and the fridge) on for at least 24hrs prior to departure.

Works for me, I have hot water + enough cold fresh to last a day or so.... on a site I use my 10ltr watering can to top up the fresh (I have a rough idea of how much I may have used... useful for remembering to empty the grey tank before it becomes embarrassingly full:ROFLMAO:)

Big Brian 56

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Morley
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not long enough
Big Brian56

To Newark , FULL to brim, no messing about on site, pull up. gas on, done .

Big Brian 56

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Morley
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not long enough
Newark Meet

Just a line to say, what a good night on saturday, went with some uks mates ---what a difference, with MHF next year for sure.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes, we always arrive at the shows and rallies full. But if we are going to a campsite we will arrive as low as possible. We can carry 60gallons of fresh water that's about 225kg (500lbs) so travelling full has to have an effect on the mpg. We have spring water at home and we fill up with that. If we were on a water meter, we would never fill up at home:Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
If we are touring, as little as possible, just enough, if weekend camping, then full from the start.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We often think of travelling empty and filling water when arriving at a site, but the reality is different. Most times, we arrive on a Friday night after dark and do not want to mess about with hose pipes, then on Saturday morning, we do not want to move off the pitch. So, in reality, we travel full, or nearly full and I cannot see any difference in fuel consumption.

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
tanked up

Hi there,
although relatively new to motorhoming - August 2008- if only going away for a few days, we just sort of half fill, but if going for longer we fill to the brim. But didn't see the sense of carrying a full tank just for a few days. - water doesnt stay fresh so you only have to dump it. Have discovered that filling up at some sites is just not that easy at times. Filling up before you leave means you can go to reception then straight to your pitch. Saves having to stop, get hose out, fill up, put hose away - remembering to make sure its empty before putting it back in the van garage! - a lesson learned the hard way.
Anyway everyone to themselves. Whatever suits.
Regards, Weejohn
:helptitanic:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Full or empty water tank

Hi
I have always travelled with a full tank and I don't find it a problem I am also getting 28mpg with a heavy right foot(on the gas pedal) on a Fiat 130 multijet which I think is acceptable.........BUT I have only been Motor homing since last July.......so I do bow to experience members.
Mel

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
We wild camp, so we don't always know were our next refill point will be so we aways fill and refill when we have the opportunity.

Doug

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm a pessimist, the day you set off with little or no water is the day you arrive on a site and it's pouring with rain, the tap is too far for the hose and the supply is a trickle .. been there, :RollEyes: so I always carry enough for at least a couple of days..

I remember on one trip through Spain, Jan hung the wet coats in the shower.. ON THE TAP .. little realising the pump was now running, when we arrived at our overnight stop... you guessed.. NO WATER .. and there was none at the truck stop.. so we had to beg some from the cafe' .. Guess who did the begging :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I'm a pessimist, the day you set off with little or no water is the day you arrive on a site and it's pouring with rain, the tap is too far for the hose and the supply is a trickle .. been there, :RollEyes: so I always carry enough for at least a couple of days..

I remember on one trip through Spain, Jan hung the wet coats in the shower.. ON THE TAP .. little realising the pump was now running, when we arrived at our overnight stop... you guessed.. NO WATER .. and there was none at the truck stop.. so we had to beg some from the cafe' .. Guess who did the begging :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Your dead right Jim.
Last year I found a fantastic wild camp spot on the beach in Scotland. I hadn't however filled with water and emptied the loo before we left the inflated priced campsite at inverewe, result was full toilet and out of water after 1 night resulting in having to move on to a camp site to empty and fill. :Angry:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi,

I think most members have answered the question.

It does depend on what type of motorhoming you do. We tend to fill one of our tanks up to full, if we are going where there are no facilites, like rallying then we have the luxury of filling up two tanks beforehand. If you are arriving late at night its really is a pain topping up your water supply.

For our main holidays we tend to tour quite a bit, moving on every day or two so we always ensure that we have topped up to full on leaving a site.

We are lucky that we have a large payload, and it doesnt seem to make much difference in the MPG.

When coming up from Morrocco, we found it hard to get water in the aires because the taps were turned off, also our outer water tank froze. So when we got to our last stop which was city europe, quite late, our water tank was still frozen (minus 6). We desperately wanted a shower in the morning, so we had to buy bottle water to top up the inboard tank, and both managed to have shower in 10 litres of water. Its amazing what you have to do. It only cost 2E, but priceless:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It is one of those things that you will work out whats best for you. But I think if you always travelled with half a tank, then that is enough for the first night where ever you are. But I am one of those persons whose a just in case merchant.

Kind regards and happy travelling.
Pat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back