A Frames And France (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Ok guys as I understand it the use of A-frames in France is prohibited .
However has anyone ever been fined for using one or been made to disconnect
by the Gendarme's .

Thanks FL

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
is there not any motorhome forums in france, then you could get their members opinions.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Car- A - Tow have a French agent? Can't see that there could be a problem if their exporting Car -A - Tow frames to France.

:rofl: Of course we all know that frames are illegal anyway in our heart of hearts :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Ill s’avère que vous êtes de plus en plus nombreux à souhaiter partir en vacances en camping-car accompagnés d’un petit véhicule afin de faciliter vos déplacements.

« L’article R 311-1 du Code de la route définit les catégories de véhicules pouvant être utilisées sur les voies publiques et les ensembles routiers.

Selon ce même article, seule une remorque est autorisée à être attelée à un véhicule à moteur. Hors opération de dépannage, un ensemble roulant composé d’un camping-car et d’une voiture est interdit sur les voies publiques. En conséquence, une voiture doit être obligatoirement placée sur une remorque (porte-voiture homologué) pour être tractée derrière un camping-car. » L’article L110-1 du Code de la route précise qu’une remorque est « un véhicule destiné à être attelé à un autre véhicule, non autopropulsé, construit et conçu pour être remorqué par un véhicule », tandis qu’une voiture est « un véhicule à moteur que le code de la route définit comme un véhicule terrestre circulant sur route par ses propres moyens ». Les remorques appartiennent à la catégorie 0 dans la classification européenne tandis que les voitures appartiennent à la catégorie M1.

Enfin, ce dispositif contraint à décrocher la voiture pour effectuer une marche arrière, ce qui, en cas d’urgence, est tout simplement impensable.

Soyez vigilants, aucun système amovible n’a jamais été homologué en France !

.So in a nutshell............. They are Illegal... :(

Ill turns out you're more likely to want to go on holiday in a motorhome accompanied by a small vehicle to facilitate the move.

"The article R 311-1 of the Highway Code defines categories of vehicles for use on public roads and road sets.

According to the same article, only a trailer is authorized to be towed by a motor vehicle. Excluding troubleshooting operation, a rolling assembly consisting of a motorhome and a car is prohibited on public roads. Therefore, a car is mandatory placed on a trailer (car carrier approved) to be towed behind a motorhome. "Article L110-1 of the Code of the precise route that a trailer is" a vehicle designed to be coupled to another vehicle, not self propelled, constructed and designed to be towed by a vehicle, "while a car is "a motor vehicle that the Highway Code defines as a land vehicle travels on the road by its own means." Trailers belong to the category 0 in the European classification while cars belonging to the category M1.

Finally, this device forced to drop the car when reversing, which, in an emergency, is simply unthinkable.

Be vigilant, no removable system has never been approved in France!

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
OP
OP
Neil S
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I think I'll leave the wee car behind as knowing my luck I'll get a tug by the Gendarmes. If I was to risk it I would panic every time I saw a Police car :unsure::unsure::eek::eek:
never mind always got the leccy bikes to fall back on

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Posted by JimScotland on MHFUN

Question for written answer P-000299/12
to the Commission
Brian Simpson (S&D)
(17 January 2012)

Subject: Legal clarity over towing a car on an A-frame
I am writing to you on behalf of a constituent, who was recently issued with a fine for towing a car on an A-frame behind a motorhome while travelling on holiday in Germany. As I understand it, the UK’s Department for Transport finds that where an A-frame is attached to a vehicle (e.g. a motor car) and towed by a motor vehicle, the A-frame and the car become a single unit and as such are classified in legislation as a trailer. The UK Department for Transport concludes that the car and the A-frame satisfy the legal requirements for trailers both under UK law and EC law. However the German authorities refute that this is legal in Germany, arguing that it is not legal to tow a car behind a motorhome in Germany and that this is fully compatible with EC law.
For the sake of clarity, could the Commission clarify whether or not it is legal for a UK citizen to tow a car on an A-frame in Germany, as well as in the rest of the EU?

Answer given by Mr Kallas on behalf of the Commission
(6 February 2012)
The specific technical provisions for passenger cars that may freely circulate on public roads in the European Union are not defined by EU legislation but by an agreement under the auspices of the UN-ECE, the so-called ‘Vienna Convention on Road Traffic’ (1) to which the individual Member States are contracting party.
According to this Convention the vehicle combinations admitted to circulation in international traffic must be made up of a motor vehicle and a trailer designed to be coupled to a motor vehicle.
As this is not the case in the situation described by the Honourable Member, a vehicle combination of two motor vehicles attached to each other by an A-frame may only circulate in those Member States where the relevant national legislation contains respective provisions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I saw advice from one of the clubs which I cannot locate at present to the effect that the ‘Vienna Convention on Road Traffic’ loophole "that a vehicle that was legal in one country could be used in another" was now not admissible as it pre-dates the 2014 EU Trailer legislation.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have just asked my people to contact Mr "Call Me Dave" Cameron and get him to get British "A" frames made legal as he renegotiates Blighty's EU agreements...

He'll sort it out ok... just as he slashed immigration to the UK down to under 10,000....

JJ :cool:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I think I'll leave the wee car behind as knowing my luck I'll get a tug by the Gendarmes. If I was to risk it I would panic every time I saw a Police car :unsure::unsure::eek::eek:
never mind always got the leccy bikes to fall back on

Wise I would say as at the moment there is a big gendarme presence on some roads. I know they are looking at other problems but if having a bad day tgey could stop you !!

• Broken Link Removed
  • Broken Link Removed

FRANCE -
Article published the Wednesday 17 December 2014 - Latest update : Wednesday 17 December 2014
French road accidents up after decade of decline
Broken Link Removed
The Périphérique ring road around Paris, France.
Getty Images
By Broken Link Removed
French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve announced Tuesday the government would take a number of measures to improve road safety in the new year after official figures showed the number of road casualties shot up nearly 11 percent in November.

After statistics showed road mortality grew 10.7 percent in November, officials with the National Road Safety Observatory said they expected the overall figure for 2014 would exceed the 3,250 deaths of the previous year.

"The figures are not what we hoped," Cazaneuve said, promising to "put everything into place to attain the objective" of 2,000 road deaths by 2020.

"In January, I will unveil a global and very aggressive plan touching on a range of issues that could represent risks and increase the number of accidents, injuries and deaths."

The plan is expected to address speeding, drugs and alcohol, and the use of portable telephones while driving.

2014 is the first year in more than a decade that deaths of drivers, passengers, pedestrians and cyclists have increased, after a record low was recorded in 2013.

Cazeneuve said 18,000 police officers and gendarmes would be deployed to ensure road safety during the year-end holiday season.

He also said the government would study how to reduce speed limits "on particularly accident-prone roadways", but rejected a recommendation that they be reduced everywhere.

TAGS: Broken Link Removed - Broken Link Removed - Broken Link Removed - Broken Link Removed - Broken Link Removed - Broken Link Removed - Broken Link Removed - Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back