Gps Mounted On Dashboard - Recommendations?? (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We've recently changed our motorhome from a C class to an A class and the GPS is now too far away when stuck on the windscreen. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good dashboard holder?
Thanks.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You can but a "Brodit: bracket which fits exactly for each different vehicle base, you then attach the satnav mount to that. I have a Fiat x250 and my mount is fixed at the top of the fresh air vent on the dash, that means my satnav is in easy reach and easy to see. Mine is a 5 inch Garman 3598 but if you had a larger satnav you would probably knock it when using the indicator stalk. Search "Brodit mount" on google to have a look. You can also as previously said in another reply buy, much cheaper ,round adhesive discs to stick on a flat piece of dash if you have one, but much depends your base vehicle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Thanks for all your responses - I have just ordered the 3M sticky one on ebay - £2.95 with free postage. Too far to drive to Halfords from where we live.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
I found our TomTom kept falling backwards from the sticky pad so cut a section of foam pipe insulation ( the small diameter stuff) so that the base of the sat nav was held firmly in the slightly enlarged crack in the foam. I then shaved a bit off the base of the foam tube so it was flat and stuck firmly to the sticky pad.

One year of use and it's not fallen over yet...

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
A friend put a link to this on fb the other day

http://www.cdslotmount.com/

don't know anything about it, just thought it was a smart idea - it's not £2.95 though... :frowny:

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Got a cheap Chinese rip off CD slot mount off ebay- about 10 days to arrive. Seems to do what I want holding 7 tablet running sat nav app.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I have a Garmin and use one of these Broken Link Removed sits on top of the instrument binnacle so is directly in front of me.

OP
OP
The Dudess
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Swivel the screen mount and stick it on the side window.....works for me.
The same as ppj side window works very well and cost nowt :)

Can't do this as hubby is the one who does the driving and therefore needs to see and I am the one who makes the changes to the GPS in transit.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The problem with those CD slot mounts is they place the Nav unit far to close to the cars Head Unit.
Most Navigation manufacturers advise against putting the Nav unit anywhere near the cars Head Unit as the strong magnets inside will greatly interfere with the radio signal.

I mounted our Garmin unit directly over the top of the HU in our Peugeot and it buggered the radio . The reception was woefully poor with much crackling and interference.

Reading the Garmin book for something unrelated I noticed the warning not to mount close to the HU.... So I got another plastic mount from Halfords moved the Nav and the radio is now fine..

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
Motorhome since 1997 Camping since 1990
You can but a "Brodit: bracket which fits exactly for each different vehicle base, you then attach the satnav mount to that. I have a Fiat x250 and my mount is fixed at the top of the fresh air vent on the dash, that means my satnav is in easy reach and easy to see. Mine is a 5 inch Garman 3598 but if you had a larger satnav you would probably knock it when using the indicator stalk. Search "Brodit mount" on google to have a look. You can also as previously said in another reply buy, much cheaper ,round adhesive discs to stick on a flat piece of dash if you have one, but much depends your base vehicle

I too have always used Brodit mounts. These come in essentially two components:
  1. The dash mount - Made specifically for your vehicle and often comes with a number of different choices where you want it mounted. You can buy an additional mount for any other vehicles you are likely to use with your GPS.
  2. A Holder for your device - This is specific to the item you intend to hold. It could be for a phone, tablet or something else.
Each holder for each device can be used in any of the vehicles you have a mount so it is a very flexible system. More money initially but when you change vehicles you just buy a different mount.

I have my navigation on an IPad mounted in a holder with the dash mount in the centre of the vehicle pointing towards the driver. Works well for us.

The company in the UK who supplies these is DSL developments

Colin

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
image.jpg
We use one of these as we didn't want to permanently 'stick' anything to our dash. It's a rubber mat and stays by friction, only costs about £4.50 from Fleabay. Just about to order another one for the dash cam as we are so happy with the sat nav one.

Edit: just ordered another, £4.34 and free delivery!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If you have a cup holder on the passenger side of the console as we do (2003 Ducato) buy a tub of Broken Link Removed or Broken Link Removed from Superdrug. The tub is just the right size to fit the cup holder snugly and the suction mount sticks to the top well. We have tried it with both the Noza Tec and Garmin Camper 760 sat navs and they are both easy for the driver to see and for the passenger to make any changes.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I have a A Class and the side window works for me

Paul