Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
I tried. Really, I did.

Mrs Simon and I were looking for somewhere to go to on another jaunt in July that wasn't the New Forest. We thought we'd head to Bexhill to begin with (from here in sunny Ramsgate), then drive along the coast and stop off in various places with a view to ending up in South Devon and furkling around there, sniffing out pasties and clotted cream.

UKCampsite came up with one or two places along the way that looked reasonably bearable, but only just. Perhaps we're odd mh'ers or just plain antisocial, or it's the fact that our two old Yorkies restrict what we do exploration-wise, but nowhere I looked at seemed 'us'. I couldn't find anywhere that I'd want to stay for more than a night, but conversely we didn't want to be driving all day long. A quandry, as I'm sure you'll agree.

Eventually we decided that we'd book with... Setthorns! Again! For us it's just perfect because it's pretty, spacious, secluded, quiet, peaceful, and it's everything we want from a site. While the mutts are alive anyway!

So, there we are; we're going to the New Forest again because we can't find anywhere else that compares. Or can we?

Today, just for something to do and because the weather forecast was so good, and I'm back to work tomorrow after 2.5 weeks off (boooooo!), we had a bit of a drive around locally. We parked up at St.Mildred's bay near Westgate, and walked the doggies until they were knackered, drove along to the sunken garden near Margate and had a look around there and a bit of a sit, but remembered that Margate seafront faces north so the sun was behind us. What to do? We filled up with diesel at Tesco, Westwood Cross, and drove on to Dumpton gap, where we again walked the doggies and then sat on the cliff top for a long time looking at the HUGE blue sky over the water, facing south-ish now, and watched various boats sailing into and out of Ramsgate and Dover. The sun was beating down, and the place we chose to stop was beautiful and peaceful, and we realised that we already live in the kind of place where we want to be! if we didn't already live here I'm sure we'd be here every weekend in the summer and I never thought I'd say that about Thanet.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
my sister mentioned a disease that hits dogs in the new forest..cant remember a name but found this that don't sound like it, but think you should at least be aware of problems in the area...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25820926

and....:(

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
my sister mentioned a disease that hits dogs in the new forest..cant remember a name but found this that don't sound like it, but think you should at least be aware of problems in the area...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25820926

Thanks. We've seen posters in many places in the New Forest. Our dogs have been fine so far but we keep an eye on them, obviously.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back