Base System Device (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Installed XP Pro on a new laptop....Dell Latitude E5500.

I bought it without an OS as i already had an original of XP Pro. The laptop just came with a Dell Resource disc with all drivers on etc.

I installed XP no problem but now each time on boot up i get Found New Hardware...."Base System Device", which then asks me to install. I have tried installing from the drivers already in, and also from the disc, but it fails to find it.

I believe its something to do with a card reader but how do i get the correct driver to install without knowing which is the actual driver?

Any suggestions?

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Installed XP Pro on a new laptop....Dell Latitude E5500.

I bought it without an OS as i already had an original of XP Pro. The laptop just came with a Dell Resource disc with all drivers on etc.

I installed XP no problem but now each time on boot up i get Found New Hardware...."Base System Device", which then asks me to install. I have tried installing from the drivers already in, and also from the disc, but it fails to find it.

I believe its something to do with a card reader but how do i get the correct driver to install without knowing which is the actual driver?

Any suggestions?

Have a look in the device manager
check for any question marks, if there is then this will tell you what hardware is trying to install. you may be able to install the driver from there as there will be options to update the driver and let it search your disc.

You could also opt to uninstall the device , let your pc reboot sometimes it will find the driver automatically .

late now will check back tommorow.

Regards

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Have a look in the device manager
check for any question marks, if there is then this will tell you what hardware is trying to install. you may be able to install the driver from there as there will be options to update the driver and let it search your disc.

You could also opt to uninstall the device , let your pc reboot sometimes it will find the driver automatically .

late now will check back tommorow.

Regards
Yes there is....though it tells me on booting up what hardware is missing (though not the specific driver) and needs installing.

Tried it off the disc and it does not install.

I think its for the card reader.

Maybe uninstalling and try a reinstall seems the only option left.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
As I understand it, Dell sell computer that have part or all of the Vista OS installed then removed to allow XP to be installed, I think it is something connected to the bios, check with Dell, I have heard of this kind of problem before

Do you actualy have the card reader that the error refers too?

Can you disable the hardware, then reboot, connect to the net, then enable the hardwear while connected to the net, the system may find the correct driver over the net itself.

Or, reboot with the hardwear enabled and the driver disk in the tray so that it boots from the CD and not the HDD

See

Link Removed

Driver Detective | Dell Smart Card Reader Keyboard Driver Download

Doug

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I don't know if this is pertinent to your situation but it may have some relevance, I read and article a few months ago regarding the down grading of a laptop from Vista to XP and from what was written it appears that some of the devices in some of the new laptops are not fully compatible with XP as apparently they have been designed especially for Vista,

Hope that helps

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi,

I don't know if this is pertinent to your situation but it may have some relevance, I read and article a few months ago regarding the down grading of a laptop from Vista to XP and from what was written it appears that some of the devices in some of the new laptops are not fully compatible with XP as apparently they have been designed especially for Vista,

Hope that helps

I had the same problems, about 18 months ago I bought a Dell lappy with Vista pre installed, I tried installing XP Pro but had so many issues with drivers etc that in the end I had to remove it and reinstall Vista..

(Bryan my remember this, he spent half a day trying to get XP to work... :Sad:)

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
If you bought the system without an OS you shouldn't have any vista related problems ; however your disk which should have the basic drivers,may not provide the latest ones required for your system.

The Dell sit will provide you with the latest drivers click here you will need to enter your product details.

Also check windows update to see if there are any udate/drivers.

If you are still having problems it may be better to contact Dell support regarding your issue

Regards

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
If you bought the system without an OS you shouldn't have any vista related problems ; however your disk which should have the basic drivers,may not provide the latest ones required for your system.

The Dell sit will provide you with the latest drivers click here you will need to enter your product details.

Also check windows update to see if there are any udate/drivers.

If you are still having problems it may be better to contact Dell support regarding your issue
Yes XP Pro installed no problem as there was nothing on it....that was how i bought it. I purposely did not want Vista and refuse to be bullied by what microsoft tell me i can have and what i can't have. Interestingly if you buy a brand new Dell in the USA....it comes with XP, not Vista, because Dell contacted Microsoft and told them their US customers demanded XP. They simply could not sell Vista. Vista has been a disaster with many people left with software programmes which won't run and microsoft are in the process of replacing it.

I've looked in Device Manager and Program files and all the damn drivers are there!

I may well try a re-install and if that doesn't work i will contact the tech help as it came with a full warranty.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Yes XP Pro installed no problem as there was nothing on it....that was how i bought it. I purposely did not want Vista and refuse to be bullied by what microsoft tell me i can have and what i can't have. Interestingly if you buy a brand new Dell in the USA....it comes with XP, not Vista, because Dell contacted Microsoft and told them their US customers demanded XP. They simply could not sell Vista. Vista has been a disaster with many people left with software programmes which won't run and microsoft are in the process of replacing it.

I've looked in Device Manager and Program files and all the damn drivers are there!

I may well try a re-install and if that doesn't work i will contact the tech help as it came with a full warranty.

There seems to be a lot of issues with Dell card readers ;but as you have just bought the pc the balls in their court.

Still think its a driver problem no doubt they will be able to point you in the right direction.
Take it you don't want to swop then:ROFLMAO:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Driver genius is a handy program to have.............it auto searches for the latest drivers at your command or you can set it up to autocheck.

Boo

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Driver genius is a handy program to have.............it auto searches for the latest drivers at your command or you can set it up to autocheck.

Boo
I'll have a look at that........if i can find a freebie!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back