More Trailer Info Please! (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Since yesterdays post on buying a used trailer; well things have moved on a bit, based on the sellers pictures and he seemed genuine on the phone...didn't want a deposit to hold it until I collect it, and his asking price was astonishly low it seemed silly not to commit!

Anyway, the next unknown for me, insurance. The trailer will be used on the motorhome but I don't want to use it to collect trailer. We've got an old Rav that's got a towbar and will be be fine to bring it home.

First of all is a legal requirement to have insurance for the trailer?
Next, I assume that I should inform the insurer of the Rav that I intend to tow a trailer for a day?
As the motorhome will be the main towing vehicle, I'm guessing that they will add the trailer to my current policy - at a cost. However, with the Smartie on the trailers what happens to the Smartie when it's being towed and the unthinkable happens? Does the Smart's insurance cover any damage it sustains?

I've had a ferret on the net and nothing, to me at least, seems very clear. As the motorhome and Smarts insurance is due for renewal in the next 6 weeks, is there any insurer who can roll the whole package into one policy?

Again, any words of wisdom will be gratefully recieved:)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
You don't need any extra insurance to tow a trailer.
Asfar as your mh goes .. So long as your insurance are aware that you have a tow bar (if it's a modification) then.. Again you don't need extra insurance for a trailer

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Insurance for the trailer should be included on your policy but unless the wording is clear I would call them. For example, it may only be third party and anything being carried will not be covered. The car will need to be covered by its own insurance.

You should rig up some sort of a number plate for the trailer when you collect it - even a bit of cardboard will be better than nothing. And check the lights work and when you get it home check the wheel bearings and the tyres - they might be very old and need replacing. That should be about it! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
As others have said you will likely have insurance for a trailer on your car policy, probably limited to a fixed amount, say £1000, subject to my following observations, so getting it home should be OK once you have confirmed the cover on your existing car policy. The issue I found was my concern over towing with the MH. Firstly I had a new trailer with a mover fitted so I asked my insurer to increase the cover to £2700 on the trailer, which they were happy to do without increased premium, then the subject of the car on the trailer behind the MH. The MH insurer says that although it covers the MH and trailer the car on the trailer would be covered under its own policy. There for me was the grief waiting to happen.
This prompted me to move the car insurance to the same company as the MH (in this case NFU), their deal was very good so it was a no brainer. AND if there was an accident whilst towing the trailer and car behind the MH, all with one insurer, whose ever fault a lot less hassle with who pays for what?

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Exactly what we did Sallylillian, we used Safeguard at the time and when car policy was due insured that with them too.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Speaking from bitter experience, make sure the trailer is covered on your household insurance too. If it's parked up at home, or maybe elsewhere and not connected to your MH or car then it's not covered at all. Ours was parked in our driveway, full of rubbish for the tip, with tow lock on etc and some ***** stole it. Not covered on any of our insurance!! Hard lesson learnt.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Speaking from bitter experience, make sure the trailer is covered on your household insurance too. If it's parked up at home, or maybe elsewhere and not connected to your MH or car then it's not covered at all. Ours was parked in our driveway, full of rubbish for the tip, with tow lock on etc and some ***** stole it. Not covered on any of our insurance!! Hard lesson learnt.
Yes people don't realise that.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I will check that out, when I specified my trailer on the MH policy they wanted serial number and full details I wonder if they gives me the same cover as the MH. But I will check thanks.

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Useful information as always folks, thank you!:)
Some points raised that I hadn't considered...if I 've got it right, the trailer is likely to be covered by the MH insurance only when being towed and when not in use, could be covered by by my home insurance?

It seems best option is to try and insure MH, Smartie and trailer with one company...some phoning around to do!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, when we had our Smart and trailer, we insured with Saga along with the motorhome, I think the trailer was about £15 extra and also covered when not attached to the van.
But like most insurance companies they put the price up every year, and you end up changing. :eek::LOL: Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back