do you need to make appointment for vets in France? (1 Viewer)

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Am heading back through France tomorrow and will need my dog to be seen by a vet in France prior to the trip back through the tunnel. Have never done it before so am unsure about vets in France. Can you just turn up and be seen by the vet or do you usually have to make an appointment?
Thanks.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Vets in Calais

I think you need to call a vet and arrange a visit.

Full list and telephone numbers of vets in Nord-Pas de Calais, call 0033 327 96 84 38.

Clinique Vétérinaire du Parc Saint Pierre des Drs Fermé J. M. 73, rue Aristide Briand (near the Town hall) Tel: 0033 321 34 93 88. Fax: 0033 321 97 16 56. Open: Monday to Friday 9.00am to 7.00pm, Saturday 9.00am to 4.00pm.

Centre Vétérinaire Curie - 139, Bd. Curie, 62100. Calais. Tel: 0033 321 82 15 11.

Clinique Vétérinaire du Docteur Nowosad - 138, Bd. La Fayette, 62100. Calais. Tel: 0033 321 36 67 96. Fax: 0033 321 36 05 63.

Clinique Vétérinaire des Salines (Dr. DELVAL Valérie) - 11, Place Crevecoeur, 62100. Calais. Tel: 0033 321 00 71 00. Fax: 0033 321 00 71 09.

Docteur Christiane Petry - Veterinaire. 1148 Bd du General De Gaulle. 62100 Calais. Tel: 0033 321 34 77 39.

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hi this is French yellow pages Link Removed

with some address's for the calais area. However we always try to visit one about 24hrs drive away from Calais so that we can board and return home straight away.

Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
I had the same problem about 3/4 weeks ago... although I agonised about appointments and timings....

In the event I turned up at the vets in Ligeuil when they opened in the morning and was seen straight away... back in the UK within 48hours:winky:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
We've made appointments with a local vet (who speaks English) for those en route to the UK, and it seems to work well. We're a day's drive from the central Channel ports, and between one day and a day and a half from Calais, so the timing can fit in quite well. At least it means that there is no need to sit around the Calais area twiddling thumbs for 24 hours:thumb::thumb:

Bob and Di

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Am heading back through France tomorrow and will need my dog to be seen by a vet in France prior to the trip back through the tunnel. Have never done it before so am unsure about vets in France. Can you just turn up and be seen by the vet or do you usually have to make an appointment?
Thanks.

For what it's worth, I can thoroughly recomend Dr Christian Petry (see Jims list above),
She's a lovelly lass, very helpfull and speaks better English than my pathetic attempts at French. her location is also good for motorhome parking on the street as it's quite wide and fairly quiet.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Honfleur

Alternatively, there is a vet just across the road from the aire at Honfluer, I haven't used them myself but met a couple who had and said it was about half the cost of the Calais vets ..
Honfleur is about 170ml from Calais.. an comfortable 3 - 4 hrs drive on departure day.

hth

Jim

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Dr Petry likes you to make an appointment.

i don't like making an appointment.

i'm usually told by the receptionist/assistant that she can't see me now. when i ask for details of another vet she changes her mind.

dazzaandjay

Free Member
Mar 14, 2009
Sahorre, South France
Funster No
MH
Hymer b754
Exp
vets

hi
we live in france (near perpignan) and the 24 hour window to get our after the vets is a pain, cant leave before 24hours is up and have to be out before 48 hours...

we were told by local french people that the vets will forward stamp a passport! not sure if they will all do it, cos they of course shouldnt, but, apparently it goes on. ie if you wanted to leave franve on saturday you could get your pet passport in order on say monday if the vet stamped it for friday ;-)

we will put this to the test once back in france in a few days, but we know our local vets quite well now.

its all just a money making scam anyway, i mean do they think that flea and tick treatments suddenly stop working after 48hours? does the UK not have fleas and ticks and such stuff, what ever next!

good luck
D

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Vets in France

Hi Solitaire
We live in France and we had three dogs on arrival (but now only have two) we use the vets at St-Pol-sur-Ternoise about 200 meters of the N39(D939 the dual carriage way part of the road that by-passes St-Pol-sur-Ternoise between Arras and LeTouquet) about 30 to 40 miles from the A16 (E402)west/motorway and about 30miles from the A26 E15)east/motorway that comes down through France from Calais . We use the vets regularly and have never ever had to book.
Mel

H

HighDesert

Deleted User
The name of your vet in france & location?

hi
we live in france (near perpignan) and the 24 hour window to get our after the vets is a pain, cant leave before 24hours is up and have to be out before 48 hours...

we were told by local french people that the vets will forward stamp a passport! not sure if they will all do it, cos they of course shouldnt, but, apparently it goes on. ie if you wanted to leave franve on saturday you could get your pet passport in order on say monday if the vet stamped it for friday ;-)

we will put this to the test once back in france in a few days, but we know our local vets quite well now.

its all just a money making scam anyway, i mean do they think that flea and tick treatments suddenly stop working after 48hours? does the UK not have fleas and ticks and such stuff, what ever next!

good luck
D

Hi,

We are planning to be in Perpignan during early July and will need a vet near the city to treat our dog with the flea/tick and worming medicine before heading back to UK. I would be grateful if you would give me the name of your vet near Perpignan and their phone number and/or email. Also, do they speak English? And are they open Monday mornings? Also, are their costs reasonable? And lastly, can we provide our own treatment products for the flea/tick and worming requirements?

Any information is welcomed and much appreciated.

Thanks very much

OP
OP
S

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Thanks everyone for your replys. Sorry I didnt repond sooner, I enventually went to a vets in Beaune who charged 27 euros consultation fee and then the frontline and worming tablet as extra. Didnt realise that you could only use frontline, I had Promeris with me. I find that this works better than frontline, but had to buy some frontline. Everything went fine at the tunnel, no one really looked at my dog except to check the microchip! Thanks again.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
vets in France

Hi Solitaire
It’s me again, what you said about using Frontline...is not correct… (well to my experience), My friend as just been over from Huddersfield and went back to England last Wednesday 15/4/2009, He went along to my vets in St Pol and they used a brand I had never heard off ( I could get you the name if needed) also my vets did ask my friend if he already had his own medication so he could use instead of purchasing another set, but my friend had left them back in England!!!!! so he charged them 47 euros complete for everything and this was for consultation a pack of three sachets for tics and a worming tablet (that means he has two sachets left to use before April 2010 to come back to France or return to England or use in England) he weighs the dog (adult border collie) for the correct size tic sachet and worming tablet makes sure the dog HAS taken the tablet squeezers the tic fluid at the back of the neck checks the identification number and fills the paper work stamps and signs.............My friend and Wife with border collie had no problems with the pet control at the tunnel.....So No it does not seem as if you have to use frontline.

I would think the vets you have used is making some money on using his own products
Was your price for just 1 sachet of Tic and 1 worming tablet and what did he charge for them
Mel

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Hi Melvin,

The cost inclusive of all medication was extortionate in fact! It was just over 70 euros, that was for 3 pippets of frontline duo and 1 worming tablet. Maybe it was just Promeris she wouldnt use, or as you say, just wanted the money. I used the vets in Beune as I just happened to see it, and there wasnt a que! No wonder at those prices I hear you say!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
vets in France

Hi Solitaire...my friend in England has just telephoned me so I asked what was the name of the Tic sachet he was given in France..............PROMERIS DUO !! WHAT A COINCIDENCE...mmmm

J

Joan 70

Deleted User
Hi There, I live in the South of France and usually have to make vet appointments.

:ROFLMAO:
Thanks.

georgeawe

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Funster No
Vets near Honfleur

Delighted to read recommendation of ver near Honfleur. We shall be sailing from le Havre soon and this will be ideal. Can anyone tell me if this aires there is safe. Also, do you have an email for the vet in Honfleur so that I can make an appointment.
Regards to everyone

wanttobeaway

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
on tour
Funster No
MH
white one
Exp
only 3.2 and counting
Delighted to read recommendation of ver near Honfleur. We shall be sailing from le Havre soon and this will be ideal. Can anyone tell me if this aires there is safe. Also, do you have an email for the vet in Honfleur so that I can make an appointment.
Regards to everyone

Hello
Yes the aire is very safe and the place is very nice will say that there is another vets just up the bank from the vets at the bottom and you do not need to put an appointment on also its cheaper allowed to use own gear as well

lisab

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
Romsley, Worcs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Used the vet in Honfleur in September same cost as Mdm Petry in Calais in June although she wasnt quite such a pleasant lady (not unpleasant - just a bit "efficient") she set up jab for wormer and I refused it for tablet - I am told they are more expensive and I dont like my little man keep being stabbed! Would use her again her are her details:

Cabinet Veterinaire de L'Estuaire
Docteur Violaine Letisse

tel 0231988246/0607387435
fax0231881767

email: dr.letisse@wanadoo.fr

:Smile:

I emailed for an appointment.

georgeawe

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Funster No
vet in honfleur

Hi folks

Thanks for replies. We are not tied to using vet in Honfleur as we are sailing from le Havre. Could possibly use Trouville or Corseules. Really anywhere where there is an aire where we could shop and park safely overnight before sailing (anything up to 100 miles away) Also, do not want to be ripped off and we have found vets further from the port work out cheaper than those beside ports.

Thanks for the tip on providing your own wormer. Do you get it from your own vet or buy it online? Also, do the French vets not object to this or hike up their prices in lieu of making monies through selling medication?

Thanks friends for your help

Cannons

Free Member
Jun 22, 2009
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Could I just let you all know that if you are taking your dog abroad you should definately ask your UK Vet to obtain an excalibor collar for your pet - pets to wear during the duration of your trip. It guards against sandfly and offers 90% protection to yoru pet.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We found that easiest way to book a vet for the return journey was as follows.

Find a vet as soon as you land in France. Explain what you want and pass the receptionist the details of your return sailing. They do all the date and time calculations and give you an appointment to fit your timings.

FWIW we used a vet at Ardres, very pleasant, spent more time making friends with a sulking dog than on the treatment itself.

Ardres is only a 20 minutes drive from Calais and there is a couple of campsites in the town within 5 minutes walk of the vets.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
We have used French vets almost every year, sometimes a number of times a year, since the commencement of the Pet Passport system (was it 2000?) and have never had any difficulty in explaining the need for treatment or getting a suitable appointment, often on the day. Our French is little more than school level, but even using the words "chien anglais" is enough for French speaking receptionists to understand what is wanted. Even as far away from the Channel Ports as le Boulou, almost on the Spanish border, the practice was well used to UK regulations.
As far as French vets "forward stamping" the passport, I wonder, just what are we trying to achieve? It is in our own interests to comply with the law, which although very cautious, is there to protect the UK from rabies and other illnesses not present in the UK.
The window of 24-48 hours can be a little of a nuisance, but with simple planning, is not that difficult to achieve. We have found that aiming for 24 hours before travel is the best, then if you have delays, (as we had with the 2007 Channel Tunnel fire), you still have around 24 hours to get back before you have to start the process over again (which we never have had to).
Stevev

georgeawe

Free Member
Oct 29, 2009
Funster No
Vets

I fully agree. I think most of us try to plan ahead to avoid any problems and we should like to be able to book before we leave for peace of mind. Whilst it is possible to locate vets through their Yellow Pages I was wondering whether there is a way we can access an email address and then arrange the booking, either before we leave or from an internet cafe.

Perhaps we can all pool resources and provide a list of vets we've all used before, their prices, and whether it is easy to park.

We have used French vets almost every year, sometimes a number of times a year, since the commencement of the Pet Passport system (was it 2000?) and have never had any difficulty in explaining the need for treatment or getting a suitable appointment, often on the day. Our French is little more than school level, but even using the words "chien anglais" is enough for French speaking receptionists to understand what is wanted. Even as far away from the Channel Ports as le Boulou, almost on the Spanish border, the practice was well used to UK regulations.
As far as French vets "forward stamping" the passport, I wonder, just what are we trying to achieve? It is in our own interests to comply with the law, which although very cautious, is there to protect the UK from rabies and other illnesses not present in the UK.
The window of 24-48 hours can be a little of a nuisance, but with simple planning, is not that difficult to achieve. We have found that aiming for 24 hours before travel is the best, then if you have delays, (as we had with the 2007 Channel Tunnel fire), you still have around 24 hours to get back before you have to start the process over again (which we never have had to).
Stevev

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back