Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I just got it in the post.........my question is:

The instructions are about installing it in a house, so from what I can gather I need to put the clamp on the main feed into my RV, does that mean I clip it onto the blue EHU cable where you plug it into the RV and install the sender into the locker............or do I find the feed in on the inside of the van?

Where have you fitted yours in your A class? pics would be appresiated :thumb:

Boo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Boo

The clamp has to go around only the live or neutral core of the ehu supply, it won't work around the cable .. without knowing how yours is wired it's difficult to advise .. you need to find where the cable terminates and try to find a way to get the clamp on..

hth

Jim

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Hi Boo

The clamp has to go around only the live or neutral core of the ehu supply, it won't work around the cable .. without knowing how yours is wired it's difficult to advise .. you need to find where the cable terminates and try to find a way to get the clamp on..

hth

Jim

Well the supply seems to come inside under the cooker.............will the signal get through to the display?

Boo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
O.K fitted it today quite easily in the waste locker..............it works great! :thumb:
Only thing is, it is in Kw...........any Idea wot I sould set the alarm at?

Boo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
O.K fitted it today quite easily in the waste locker..............it works great! :thumb:
Only thing is, it is in Kw...........any Idea wot I sould set the alarm at?

Boo

Depends on your ehu supply , if it's 16A then you have 3.6kw available, I set the alarm to 3.5kw ..

for future reference, multiply the Volts (230) by the supply Amps gives you the available power in watts ..

V x A = W

so a 10A gives you 2.3 kw

and a 6A gives you 1.38kw

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Depends on your ehu supply , if it's 16A then you have 3.6kw available, I set the alarm to 3.5kw ..

for future reference, multiply the Volts (230) by the supply Amps gives you the available power in watts ..

V x A = W

so a 10A gives you 2.3 kw

and a 6A gives you 1.38kw

It says B16 at the point and 60amp

does it mean it's 16kw

Boo

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Owl Meter

Hi

It a brilliant piece of kit.

Mine is connected round the Incommer Positive after the connection plug, works OK. You can also set it to show the AMPS, Most useful out here in Spain where the sites can be a bit unpredictable. Remember to set the Voltage to the local supply they are allowed to vary it and depending upon local conditions it CAN be from 220 to 240Volts. (eg I have 235V currently at La Manga) but I have seen 210V in other places!!!.

pete

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

It a brilliant piece of kit.

Mine is connected round the Incommer Positive after the connection plug, works OK. You can also set it to show the AMPS, Most useful out here in Spain where the sites can be a bit unpredictable. Remember to set the Voltage to the local supply they are allowed to vary it and depending upon local conditions it CAN be from 220 to 240Volts. (eg I have 235V currently at La Manga) but I have seen 210V in other places!!!.

pete

Hi Pete

I've never found out how to set to see amps.. :Sad: but not really bothered, once you get used to looking at the kw it doesn't matter..
the alarm and the running kw total are very useful features.. :Smile:

Re Voltage.. that really only matters when monitoring the kw.. it won't influence the amp reading ..

Cheers

Jim

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I heard these devises can make you neurotic about elctricity
I personaly dont belive it
But
Did you know a 60 watt light bulb run for 100 years will cost an average of £645 to run and use 200 tons of coal or 7653 cubic feet of natural gas and produce 3.2 tons of green hose efect polutansts,kill 17.8 trees and the averge user will spend 3.5 years of there life looking at the unit itself
neurotic me!!!! no way
ps dont bother working it all out I made it up :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Jim,

I have sent you two PM's on RVF is the PM side of the forum working okay?

The PMs relate to the Owl Monitor who I wrote to asking if the same device sold in both the USA & UK could be used in either country or was its software fixed to one.

A Dave Cook from the company replied and said this,
The OWL will not be able to get a reading when it is clipped over anything other than a live cable, the electric hookups in campsites (To the best of my knowledge) are multicored cables – meaning that the Live is in the same cable as the earth and neutral.

The only way that you could get the OWL to work in your motor home is if you could safely access the live cable alone, without the Earth and Neutral in the same cable.

Now on reading this I was a little confused especially after watching this You Tube video Installation Video - Owl 113 [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knwEPyIrRSI&feature=related[/ame]

I again wrote to Dave saying that in that video the Owls sensor is clearly being clipped over a grey cable, the sort that contains live,neutral and earth.

He replied,
The grey cable in the video is a single live feed, with no other cables in the same insulation. It is quite common for many UK installations to have uniform grey cabling for the meter and fusebox.

I then informed Dave that I would ask you how you connected your Owl sensor and I presume you used the STANDARD sensor and didn't require the large sensor?

Thanks Mick

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I striped the 3 core casing off with a stanley knife the stretched the live out of the gap (white wire on my USA RV) and clipped the sensor around it..............it's abit floppy but works ::bigsmile:

Boo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Boo

hth

Jim

Hi Mick

just replied to your PM on RVF .. no PMs on Fun

See quote.. about where to put the clamp..

Didn't know they did different sized clamps.. anyway , you only need a small clamp, the core of the supply cable is only 2.5sg mm

If you send a pic of where your ehu cable terminates might be able to advise better..

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back