A Newbie With 30+ Years Of Caravan Experience (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 36503
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Hello one and all;

New to here after finding the site by searching on Google.

I am in the process of building my own Renault Master LWB panel van conversion, the reason being that after over 30 years of owning and towing caravans I had to admit that the lane to our remote house is far too narrow to drive up safely towing a van and then there is the 1 in 3 entrance to our drive.
So as I had seen several amazing privately done panel van conversions (all carried out by members of the SBMCC) and as I am somewhat of an inventive dab hand at DIY, I have decided to give it a go!

So as I don't like caravan or campsites in general I am now looking at finding out as much as possible about going it alone and doing a bit on the 'wild side'.

All the best

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello Welcome to the club.
We are in the process of converting a Peugeot xlwb van . Well Ralph is. Here's the link to the ongoing thread. You might find it of interest. He's never done anything like it before. He's a builder by trade. Picked up tips from various places, and built as he was going along.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/
We plan on touring around Wales very soon. As its somewhere Ralph has never been. You will get lots of tips and advice on the forum.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
hi from Devon
animated-hello-image-0031.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Hi and welcome to the forum 30 years tugging is a long time to find out its not for you, hee hee.

I loved tugging, it is why I set up my sites in Frogland and strange as it might seem I always was dead against people who would only stop for one or two nights which is why my sites over there always had a minimum stop of 6 nights.
The only reasons why I am building my own panel van conversion are:-
1. I need something to occupy my mind and I love very challenging DIY
2. The lane to our remote house is so very narrow and the final part is all 1 in 3 that there is little or no way that I could safely get a caravan up here.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Welcome!
While I appreciate your minimum of 6 nights stopping, from the Motorhomers point of view, this rule is far better as an option rather than a limitation.
Being more flexible than a caravan, should the weather, company or whim come into particular focus, the absolute joy for me, is to move on. I do understand that other people may feel differently but the freedom of motorhomes flexibility is everything for me.
Now where is my Camperstop book.....

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
The lane to our remote house is so very narrow and the final part is all 1 in 3 that there is little or no way that I could safely get a caravan up here.

It sounds as if you've either moved there fairly recently or have never taken your caravan home, if not maybe the solution would be to live somewhere else.

I moved to my present house with so much land so that I could choose where to park my MoHo and accommodate others who may call in.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
It sounds as if you've either moved there fairly recently or have never taken your caravan home, if not maybe the solution would be to live somewhere else.

After 10 happy years living in France we spent ages searching for a property that ticked all of our boxes, remote, no neighbours, superb views, finished, away from it all and yet within easy reach of the shops.

The very narrow lane leading up to the steep rocky private track leading up to our barn conversion results in next to no people driving along it as such this is another bonus.

The lane and track are wide enough for 'Millie' and other such panel vans, but too narrow for most coachbuilt MoHo's and caravans.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back