Uprating Weight (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Ive weighed my van on the weighbridge a couple of times and found that I am close to my maximum weight. All my axle weights were legal and the gross weight was OK but axle weights could vary depending on the load distribution so rather than risking being illegal and having all the worry when loading Ive bitten the bullet and gone for an upgrade

I spoke to Gareth at S V Tech and decided to have the plated weight of my van upgraded from 4500kg to 5000kg. The process is quite simple to start. I filled my vehicle details in on their form, it then takes around a week for them to sort the paperwork and then they will be sending me the new plate and the paperwork with full instructions on sending off my V5 for updating.

My van didn't require any modifications and SVTech are very knowledgeable about motorhome axles, suspension and tyres etc so I felt that I was in safe hands. If I wanted a further weight increase I would need to upgrade my suspension. SVTech give a 12 month period during this time any further weight upgrades are free. So if for instance your current tyres or suspension only allow you to go up to 1800kg on the axle but you didn't want to invest in new tyres or suspension until later in the year then you will have no more to pay for the replating.

I will keep you updated with the process as it happens.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Did mine last month, all very easy, got the new V5 back from DVLA within 10 days and a small refund on my road tax as it went from 3500 to 3850 so tax goes from £225 to £165.
Due to renew tax end of this month.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Don't expect the DVLA process to be simple, I did mine last year with SVTech and it still took the DVLA three attempts and twelve weeks to get it right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
As i said, got mine back within 10 days.
Then got a reminder to tax at the old weights and price, emailed them and the reply was that the reminders were printed out 8 weeks prior to taxing, so before I had changed.
Said don't use reminder use the V5 insteas.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
So many of these threads, it leads me onto my pet rant. :D
MH manufacturers seem to be so desperate to get the MH under 3500kg by using poor quality fittings, and ending up with an impractically small payload. I appreciate people need a sub 3500 offering, but there doesn't seem to be the choice any more in the 3500-7500 bracket now. I looked at the new vans at the Newbury show, and with only one or two exceptions (there was a beautiful Hymer there), I was totally underwhelmed by the vans.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Still waiting for my new V5, sent application in 3½ weeks ago, received my documents back a couple of days a ago so hopefully V5 will follow. Off to France on the 1st June, fingers crossed.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
MH manufacturers seem to be so desperate to get the MH under 3500kg by using poor quality fittings, and ending up with an impractically small payload. I appreciate people need a sub 3500 offering, but there doesn't seem to be the choice any more in the 3500-7500 bracket now. I looked at the new vans at the Newbury show, and with only one or two exceptions (there was a beautiful Hymer there), I was totally underwhelmed by the vans.
Yes I agree, but unfortunately with driving licence limitations this wont change so will always be an issue.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Just a thought.

If a vehicle doesn't need any alterations to have its maximum gross weight increased, is there any reason why you can't sort it all out directly with DVLA, rather than paying £300 (or so) for someone else to complete the relevant paperwork?

I'm thinking of uprating my Hymer from 4250kgs to 4500kgs. The axle weights are Rear:2400kgs and Front:2300kgs.

I believe some Hymers on ALKO chassis are already plated at 4500kgs and I'd be interested to know if their axle weights are any different to mine.

Mike

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Just a thought.

If a vehicle doesn't need any alterations to have its maximum gross weight increased, is there any reason why you can't sort it all out directly with DVLA, rather than paying £300 (or so) for someone else to complete the relevant paperwork?

I'm thinking of uprating my Hymer from 4250kgs to 4500kgs. The axle weights are Rear:2400kgs and Front:2300kgs.

I believe some Hymers on ALKO chassis are already plated at 4500kgs and I'd be interested to know if their axle weights are any different to mine.

Mike
hi. you do have to know all the details of the vehicle . years ago there was a brake adaption you had to do to some talbot fiat type vehicles . also suspension , axles differ . tyres etc .this is what you pay sv tec for there are loads of others that do vehicle uplifting or lowering ,wheelbase engineering ,britcom,just to name a few.
all have spent hours and hours studying how ,what where needs doing . also tracking down manufacturers details etc .
yes you can do it yourself . but unless you are confident you know enough about it . just pay the small price and smile .
i do it the other way . i very often lower vehicles to under 3500kg .
then they can actually tow more . sounds daft but its true with licencing laws .
its a crazy world we live in .

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
My tax class remains the same so it should be simple. Just a change of weight on the V5
If you look at the list of instructions SVtech send with the upgrade paperwork they state if the revenue weight is blank on the V5 then you don't have to send it off to dvla.
No weights at all on my V5 so I avoided that particular hassle.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Hymer 2013 on fiat, axle weights front 2300, rear 2400 , 4250 total weight allowed, this on alko rear suspension.
SV tech confirmed paperwork only to increase rear to 2500 and total to 4500.
Max rear axle would be 2600 with air assistance and higher load index tyres, max still 4500.
So since the extra 100kg to 2600 will be only 80kg? once weight of air assistance has been taken into account I shall stay at 2500 on rear axle.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just a thought.

Mike

Just send an email to Hymer Germany , they will tell you if it can be updated or not and they're cheaper than SVtec.
I had mine done with
Lisa Hummel
kundendienst@hymer

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

When we bought our Rapido, from Wokingham, Adrian asked us what we wanted it plated at. Apparently they come out of the factory plated at a higher weight, ours was 3700 I think, and if the customer wants it at 3500 he changes it when he registers it with DVLA. I don't see why all dealers couldn't do this if they wanted to.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Because the person you are paying the £300 knows exactly what information the DVLA require and how to present it. There's no form to fill in, it's a case of writing to them and telling them exactly what they want to hear how they want to hear it. Also one of the things in the pack from SVTech is a statement from the person signing the letter stating how they are qualified to make the declaration. There's a hell of a lot of information on the paperwork SVTEch send, so if you are confident of including everything then I suppose there's no reason not to do it yourself. For me it was worth the £300 to not have to faff around.

Everything was back from DVLA in 10 days.

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
If only the DVLA was as good as SV Tech - sent off my V5 and paperwork to uprade from 3000 to 3250
V5 comes back - vehicle weight still 3000kg but the van had now gone from a 2.2 diesel to a 3250 CC diesel!!
30 minutes on the phone to them trying to explain and I now have to write in with the changes and they want a copy of the SVTech paperwork again!

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Because the person you are paying the £300 knows exactly what information the DVLA require and how to present it. There's no form to fill in, it's a case of writing to them and telling them exactly what they want to hear how they want to hear it. Also one of the things in the pack from SVTech is a statement from the person signing the letter stating how they are qualified to make the declaration. There's a hell of a lot of information on the paperwork SVTEch send, so if you are confident of including everything then I suppose there's no reason not to do it yourself. For me it was worth the £300 to not have to faff around.

Everything was back from DVLA in 10 days.

Exactly, Frankia dont want to know. They would need to send me all the paperwork that the DVLA/Vosa need, they probably wouldn't send it, or if they did the paperwork would be incomplete, Then the DVLA/VOSA paperwork would come back to me or be done wrong.

Some things are best done by people who know what they are doing. I hear people look at a cheap item in a shop and say "I could make that in my garage cheaper" Possibly they could but would it be as good? And after all the running around for bits and 3 attempts at getting it right it ends up more expensive!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If only the DVLA was as good as SV Tech - sent off my V5 and paperwork to uprade from 3000 to 3250
V5 comes back - vehicle weight still 3000kg but the van had now gone from a 2.2 diesel to a 3250 CC diesel!!
30 minutes on the phone to them trying to explain and I now have to write in with the changes and they want a copy of the SVTech paperwork again!

unbelievable but typical! don't you just love the DVLA!:rolleyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When DVLA (as was) had regional offices it was easy to uprate.
a trip to your local office, speak to a desk jockey and usually sorted there and then.
on the odd occasion they would say you cant do that.....go back again and see someone else.
they generally dont understand what you want so say no.

Now it centralised you have a fight on your hands with a faceless bureaucrat.

I sorted my last kontiki at Beverley office.
got a cert of conformity and new VIN sticker from ALKO, via Swift, stating the proper gross weight.
took that, the V5 and MOT and got it changed there and then from the wrongly registered 3500kg to new 3750kg
took 2 weeks for the new V5.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a thought.

Mike
This is exactly what I'm trying to do at present as my van is built on the Fiat Ducato Maxi chassis so is already able to go up to 4250kg (currently 3500kg) without any modification at all. I've contact my dealer who enquired with the manufacturer and have now referred me to SVTech! I'm also in contact with Fiat Commercial so hopefully they can help me ... I'll report back!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
as my van is built on the Fiat Ducato Maxi chassis so is already able to go up to 4250kg (currently 3500kg) without any modification at all

Not intending to start a row but DVLA's answer to that is "Why is it? Prove it." That, IMHO, is why the 300 notes to SVTech is the preferred option. I'm sure you can sort it yourself eventually. It's a question of at what point the faffing around becomes worth paying someone else to do it. For me it was straight away, and the desired result was achieved immediately.

What you need to remember is that the person in Swansea dealing with your application isn't going to be an expert in vehicles, never mind an expert in your particular chassis. It will be a desk monkey that wants to see paperwork that lets them tick boxes without waking up. The guys at SV know how to present that paperwork. I imagine most of the rest of us don't.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
This is exactly what I'm trying to do at present as my van is built on the Fiat Ducato Maxi chassis so is already able to go up to 4250kg (currently 3500kg) without any modification at all. I've contact my dealer who enquired with the manufacturer and have now referred me to SVTech! I'm also in contact with Fiat Commercial so hopefully they can help me ... I'll report back!
SVtech have all the specifications of the axles, brakes, suspension etc and can they do testing on new components like air suspension etc. They can then prove that a vehicle is safe up to to its new weight.
Some Maxi chassis are sent out with smaller wheels and tyres with lower weight ratings. Its not as simple as saying its a maxi chassis so it will run at XXX KGs. You need proof that it is safe to do so, and SV Tech give you the proof and in a way that the authorities accept.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Just send an email to Hymer Germany , they will tell you if it can be updated or not and they're cheaper than SVtec.
I had mine done with
Lisa Hummel
kundendienst@hymer
Manic, do you have the full email address? Thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For goodness sake some of you lot need to get off your 'high horses' ... :D

Do you really think I am so stupid to look at doing this if I don't think I can get proof that the van I have is DEFINITELY uprateable without any modifications! Why do you think I'm in touch with Fiat ... I'm seeing if they can supply the paperwork to CONFIRM what I know ... I would NOT waste my time otherwise! :doh:

If it comes to it we may go with SVTech if we decide to definitely go ahead with an uprate, but why should I simply hand over over £300 for something that I might be able to do myself at a fraction of the cost? Also if I can do it myself then I can also let others know.

I've already sent Fiat some info they requested and now they've asked me to ring but unfortunately the section I need to contact is closed until Tuesday ... I'll report back.:Smile:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
How much time do you anticipate spending on it @MinxyGirl ?

I guess its all a personal evaluation.
Surely its a balance between paying a premium for convenience and/or simplicity & speed versus what do you value your time at and/or the ability to afford that premium.

Even if you can do the job, sometimes its just better vfm to get an expert in.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mel's van is already plated at 2100/2400
She can be that heavy on either axle as long as the revenue weight of 3500 is not exceeded
The van is already capable of 4250kg with 1250kg tyres on each corner
In summary it has been downplated by the converter.
I look forward to your further information that will better everyone's knowledge

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
How much time do you anticipate spending on it @MinxyGirl ?

I guess its all a personal evaluation.
Surely its a balance between paying a premium for convenience and/or simplicity & speed versus what do you value your time at and/or the ability to afford that premium.

Even if you can do the job, sometimes its just better vfm to get an expert in.
I agree that sometimes it can be worthwhile getting the experts involved. My 'classic' Hymer on a Fiat chassis is plated at only 3100 kg. It has air assisted suspension and SvTech have just told me that it can be replated at 3500kg without further modification. That is a tremendous increase in payload and a lot would say worth paying their fee of about £300. What would the fine be if VOSA found I was overweight at one of their regular scrutinising locations?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back