Aug 7, 2008
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
25yrs with breaks
Link Removed

The only reason for posting this is because I'm sitting here thinking how time flies

It seems like only yesterday I bought this vehicle, a Leyland Sherpa Highwayman, but it was actually 1978. It was my first motorhome, two years old at time of purchase, six berth with around 3500 miles on the clock. It cost me £4500 from a dealer near Ringwood, long gone since.

I still enjoy using my current vehicle, but I found it more relaxing back in those days as it was possible to park almost anywhere in any city. Also no need to book in at a camp site in advance, just drive in and there woul be plenty of vacant pitches, or failing that just park in a layby or quiet street for the night, no worries about safety issues like today. It was also easier on the arm, by this I mean waving to oncoming motorhomes; maybe we would see four or five but often not even that many in a days travelling. We are thinking of fitting a wind driven waving arm on the bonnet of our vehicle to cater for todays requirements. No I'm not a miserable old so and so, I just find it painful to raise a pint glass after a day of waving.

I was a younger man with a family back then, and it always appeared to me that most of the owners of motorhomes were elderly men ( like I am now:cry:) and were somewhat reluctant to engage in conversation with us younger guys. I may be wrong but thats how it
seemed to me, I often wonder if the younger ones feel that way today.

Wowee just heard the church clock strike one, must drink my cocoa and get to bed.

Good night all

fancy free

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
my husbands
Exp
time flies

yes, i have to agree. motorhoming was fun years ago. However there are so many motorhomes and caravans on the road that we are becoming unpopular.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Seeing your photo of the Leyland Sherper reminds me of the first motor home holiday we went on. We hired an automatic Sherpa and four of us me, wife and daughter and the cat went on a three week tour of Scotland.
What a great old vans these where, a little narrow in track and tended to wander on the single track roads, but what a wonderfull insight it gave us. It started us on a lifelong hobby.
I can rember going from Ullapool to Durness and not seeing another person let alone motorhome.:RollEyes::RollEyes:

How right you are time flies.

Joan & Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Link Removed

The only reason for posting this is because I'm sitting here thinking how time flies

It seems like only yesterday I bought this vehicle, a Leyland Sherpa Highwayman, but it was actually 1978. It was my first motorhome, two years old at time of purchase, six berth with around 3500 miles on the clock. It cost me £4500 from a dealer near Ringwood, long gone since.

I still enjoy using my current vehicle, but I found it more relaxing back in those days as it was possible to park almost anywhere in any city. Also no need to book in at a camp site in advance, just drive in and there woul be plenty of vacant pitches, or failing that just park in a layby or quiet street for the night, no worries about safety issues like today. It was also easier on the arm, by this I mean waving to oncoming motorhomes; maybe we would see four or five but often not even that many in a days travelling. We are thinking of fitting a wind driven waving arm on the bonnet of our vehicle to cater for todays requirements. No I'm not a miserable old so and so, I just find it painful to raise a pint glass after a day of waving.

I was a younger man with a family back then, and it always appeared to me that most of the owners of motorhomes were elderly men ( like I am now:cry:) and were somewhat reluctant to engage in conversation with us younger guys. I may be wrong but thats how it
seemed to me, I often wonder if the younger ones feel that way today.

Wowee just heard the church clock strike one, must drink my cocoa and get to bed.

Good night all

Are you sure that it wasn't one in the afternoon ????? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Sherpa

Sherpa

Free Member
Aug 7, 2008
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
25yrs with breaks
Time flies

Oh, now you come to mention it, the sun was shining and the birds were singing.

If I put my clock back tonight instead of forward do you think that will make time fly slower

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
Whilst far from young I have always seen it as an older persons hobbie, these days though the people and familys seem to be getting younger all the time.

I dont think its just because of the costs, motorhomes are far from cheap but we have always gone for self-catering and hate staying in hotels with set meals, we like to do our own thing and thats what attracted us to the idea.

Also having a pet means almost everywhere we go we end up having to put the dog in kennels and thats not what we had her for, we want to take the dog with us (well most of the time anyway)

I look forward to some of the meets coming up (once we have our van in may) and meeting other like minded people, specially the ones traveling with young children or grandchildren where our daughter (9) can join in with the conversation and play with others rather than feeling the odd one out and trying to amuse herself all the time.

We cant be certain that we are going to enjoy it but from what i have heard and the people i have spoken to on this forum we certainly reckon its going to be great fun.

I can imagine it was better in the older days when you could pull up anywhere and park without problem and wild camp easier and safer than it is now a days but I hope a little planning is all thats needed once we hit the road.

Kevin

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
yes, i have to agree. motorhoming was fun years ago. However there are so many motorhomes and caravans on the road that we are becoming unpopular.

but only in the UK ..

we are welcomed in France and most other European countries.. :thumb:

OP
OP
Sherpa

Sherpa

Free Member
Aug 7, 2008
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
25yrs with breaks
Hi Tinyk

Don't be put off by what I said in my post, I just mentioned that motorhoming and caravaning were more relaxing years ago, and that myself as a relatively young man with a family did not fit in with the motorhoming community of that period, but having said that, I still enjoy this way of life as I'm sure you will too. Its so much different today as there are a large variety of age groups involved now so no one need feel the odd man out these days.

I guess by what you say I am somewhat older than you, but I have no issues with younger campers, its good to see a mixture of different age groups enjoying the same pleasures, and what a dull and boring world this would be if there were no kids on the beaches or camp sites. I'm sure the majority, if not all of us older ones would agree. So go ahead with your plans and I hope you get as much pleasure from your travels as we do.
PS
I started writing this post at breakfast time, Its now lunch time, oh how time flies:Doh:

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
Well if you can consider just about to hit 40 as younger then hey thanks very much lol.

Yes it takes all sorts and as you say a few years ago maybe you would have looked the odd one out being a little younger than the average, these days i see all sorts looking and driving them. In fact right up to the open weekend at Chelston the other week i was still of the opinon that Moterhomes were mainly used by the older generation, having seen the age group looking at the show thats really not the case and whilst the majoirity might still be a little older their is a huge amount of younger people turning to that type of holiday / lifestyle.

I cant wait just wish i could be sure everything was going to go through ok with no problems, but when you buy a part exchange from a dealer that the original buyer hasnt got their new van yet there are plenty of things which can delay it. Just have to hope now we get some nice weather this summer to really set us off well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back