Feb 9, 2009
LINCOLNSHIRE
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
23 YEARS
Thanks to all who replied to my query re a cambelt for my 2.8 td boxer,
the vehicle has done 29000 miles but is on a y plate, therefore over 5 years old, would it still need replacing now? Or could it go for a while yet.
It is in a lovely condition and been well looked after, however it is the age of the vehicle, not the mileage so much ,i have been told?
Paul

Benwick Rambler

Free Member
Oct 21, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Maxitai,

Your thread on cambelts got me thinking as I too have a motorhome based on the 2.8HDi Boxer although mine is on an 05 plate and has only done 16,000 miles. I rang my Peugeot dealer (Corby Motors) for advice and also emailed Peugeot direct. Their response is below:

<SPAN lang=EN-GB>Dear Mr Foster,
Thank you for your recent enquiry made via the Peugeot website.
I am happy to advise that Peugeot recommends that your vehicle's cambelt is changed at 80,000 miles or ten years under normal driving conditions or 48,000 miles or five years under arduous driving conditions. The quoted values are offered as advice and are not to be taken as a guarantee of the expected life expectancy of the cambelt.
Kind regards,
John Morrison

Tel:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Maxitai,

Your thread on cambelts got me thinking as I too have a motorhome based on the 2.8HDi Boxer although mine is on an 05 plate and has only done 16,000 miles. I rang my Peugeot dealer (Corby Motors) for advice and also emailed Peugeot direct. Their response is below:

<SPAN lang=EN-GB>Dear Mr Foster,The quoted values are offered as advice and are not to be taken as a guarantee of the expected life expectancy of the cambelt.
Thank you for your recent enquiry made via the Peugeot website.
I am happy to advise that Peugeot recommends that your vehicle's cambelt is changed at 80,000 miles or ten years under normal driving conditions or 48,000 miles or five years under arduous driving conditions.
Kind regards,
John Morrison

Tel:
May I offer some adevise that will gaurantee the life of your cambelt and engine
CHANGE IT ASAP:Eeek:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I must agree.
I would change at 5 years. I had a friend who thought he knew better and followed Peugeot's advice and it broke.
It was an expensive error.:Eeek:, don't bother about milage, go by age.

Dave

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
May I offer some adevise that will gaurantee the life of your cambelt and engine
CHANGE IT ASAP:Eeek:
Geo

Hi Geo, Thanks for the advice, our Peugeot Boxer 2.8Hdi is now almost 6 years old with 20k on the clock. I guess it's time to bite the bullet and get the cam belt and tensioners changed. We hope to be using the van a lot more this year and don't want it to be laid up needing a new engine. Is there anything else that in your opinion should be done whilst this work is being carried out such as brake fluid change. Do you have any idea of approximate cost ?? I will adjust accordingly for London rates.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Once again, thanks for the heads up.:thumb:

Brisey

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi
Yours is about a 3hr job without air con fitted say 1/2 more for air con, knowing london rates you will get no change out of a fiver:winky: around us anywhere between £250 -£350
whilst your fitter is in there get them to check if the belt drives anything eles like water pump(dont think your does) but ask anyway, if so ask them to check for play and or roughness of any other pullys or drives used by the belt and change if required, thats about all anyone can do:Sad: you might want a new alternator drive belt fitted while there at it that should be just the cost of the belt on the bill
Cam belts are like elastic bands how many times can you stretch it before it breaks :cry:
Geo

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If in doubt get it changed, NOW!!! I have first hand experience of cam belt failure on my wife's Fiat Bravo (my own fault for not changing it), it cost me £300 and that was doing the job myself. 7 out of 12 valves were bent plus a head skim and pressure test then new belt, tensioners, gaskets and antifreeze took care of the money. Add in the labour and you could easily be looking at the wrong end of £1000, especially on an A class with limited engine bay access. If the belt does drive any other bits like the water pump then get them changed too, just consider the hassle if it failed on a European holiday!

D.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for the reply Geo.:thumb: I didn't realise that Mansfield was "that much" cheaper than London.:RollEyes: A trip to Pecks Hill might be in order, any overnight sites nearby.::bigsmile:

Brisey.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Reading this thread, does this mean that my Swift Kontiki, 2002 Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD needs cambelt changing. It has done almost 18,000 miles.
If so what else should I have changed at the same time. Almost due for an MOT so will get all done together if I have to.

This hobby is now proving to be extremely expensive.

Thanks

Lesley

chris v

Free Member
Feb 14, 2009
Burton upon Trent
Funster No
Hi,
I had my cambelt changed on my petrol boxer by my local main dealer. I also asked them to check the condition of the gearbox oil as I have had problems with water ingress, they said the only way to check it was to change it (£70) and replaced it with the latest spec oil that Peugeot recommend. This oil is supposed to cure difficult gear changes when cold. Guess what.. I now have difficulty changing from 1st to 2nd:cry:mechanic adjusted clutch cable which seemed to improve it and I readjusted it after reading the manual but as it was OK before why should I have to? Anyone got any bright ideas? cable settings are to spec.
Regards,
Chris

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
hello
just had cambelt water pump vac pump belt +other bits on peugeot boxer 95 only done 12000 but 4 years old 500quid

BUTTYBOY

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
CHARENTE MARITIME
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
11 YEARS
possibly too late!!!

I had a laika with that engine. I had it serviced by fiat in france every year and they showed me a document that specified replacement after 4 years. :cry:(250euros) \My new Pilote with 3.0l fiat specifies replecement at 4 years. \my friends withanother laika had not done huge mileage but the belt broke just after they left le havre in January this year. took 1 week to fix (cost unknown) but ruined their holiday to spain.:Doh::Sad: :shout:CHANGE IT!!
bets wishes

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It is in a lovely condition and been well looked after, however it is the age of the vehicle, not the mileage so much ,i have been told?
Paul

We had ours done at 14,000 miles but at the age limit.

What a good job we did, belt looked like new but one of the pulleys was about to fail, I don't want to think about the cost of that !

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The answer is obvious...............get a YANK!! :ROFLMAO:

Or a Merc.

Olley

cater_racer

Free Member
Oct 15, 2008
Chester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Cripes,

14,000 miles and 10 years old!!!!! My 08 plate has done that, you need to get out more.:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Cripes,
14,000 miles and 10 years old!!!!! My 08 plate has done that, you need to get out more.:Smile:

No 5.

The Fiat handbook says 4 years, one workshop manual 5 and Fiat say 6.

We bought a 4 YO Burstner with 4000 miles on the clock. Oven had never been lit.
It's now 6 YO with 16000 and rising rapidly. Oven well used.

blue_sky

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
1year
Changed mine last year 2002 2.8JTD only 12,000 miles but bearings disintergated when it was changed, Close one! As for cost £220 changed the belt and coverd the MOT. I use a bus garage they seem to charge trade rates not public, also can't get my hobby 750 into most garages.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Cambelt

I had my cambelt replaced at the 5 year service point as advised by my local mechanic. It cost an extra £110 but as we were off on a long trip through Germany and down to Slovinia I though I'd best get it done Saves any worry!! My sons friend van cambelt went last week and cost over £350 to have it repaired.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back