Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Just moved on to the Granada site and again lots of Dutch campers.
Our best friends are Dutch so I am sure they will not mind my comment that someone must have picked up the far North corner of Holland and given it a shake- so all the Dutch get to Spain for May!
LC
Oh and we have been informed that 3 huge groups are coming in to the site over the next 3 days .... Where from? We shall see!
I have to say though the first 2 campers we met here are British on the slow tour of Spain,!

All enjoying ourselves.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Dutch probably the most active travelling country in Europe... last one out in summer puts the lights out!:)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
On our recent tour we met some really lovely Dutch and German motorhomers. One particular German couple were definite Funster material, responsible for a couple of hangovers!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lindacarole

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Yep they are great the Dutch we used to go over lots to see them,always fun!
LC

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You want to be in Benidorm from October to March if you want to really see the Netherland takeover. My Dutch is better than my Spanish after two winters.

Italy likewise, they dominate southern European campsites...even have their own!lol

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
must say this last winter the dutch and germans have taken over the french as being careless motorhomers . chucking rubbish and tipping toilets all over the place . not the way they normally are .
is it a new breed of motorhomers .
surprised me as they normally are ok.

Reactions: f6c

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Their ubiquity is even more impressive when you realise that while there are around 175,000 motorhomes in the UK, 353,000 in France and 450,000 in Germany, there are only 85,000 in the Netherlands! (figures from ECF 2013)

Steve :)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
In Burgos week before last I asked a couple who was running the country and were there any folks left in Holland? Spain & Portugal was absolutely heaving with them when we were there. However, we didn't see any bad behaviour at all. However, it was the same last year when we were in France in terms of numbers. It's very noticeable wherever you go in Europe. Are there any comparable figures for caravans??

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Caravan figures Broken Link Removed.
Motorhome figures Broken Link Removed.

Steve :)
Wow - I know the Dutch like their caravans but that is a stunning statistic if true !

Almost as many caravans in the Netherlands as the UK - remarkable !!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The Netherlands is more densely populated than the UK.
You can't blame them for wanting to escape it all!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The Netherlands is more densely populated than the UK.

I can believe that having driven their road network recently - it's not like France where your SatNav shows 96 miles to the next turn off and you struggle to stay awake for an hour and a half. In the Netherlands you rarely get out of single figures before you're taking a turn.

Also I can't blame them for heading south when you feel those freezing breezes coming in off the North Sea and howling across the polders unchecked. I like the Dutch - Amsterdam was one huge party on Koningsdag but I didn't see anyone get out of hand. Could you imagine a nationwide piss-up in this country?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You only have to consider the nature of the Netherlands to understand why the population tries to escape it. There is a unique word to describe the topography of the country, as there are to describe other geographical features, for example a Ria is a flooded valley, the Netherlands are of course just flooded. Which reminds me why the Dutch are as a nation the tallest people on the planet. It is a simple evolutionary thing, if you live in a landscape without any features only the tallest can find their way home to continue with procreating the next generation. The shorter specimens of the population just wander off and are lost in the polders.
And that special term to describe the Dutch countryside? Godorful. :)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Holland....... one of the flatest most boring countries in europe, and probably the most motorhome-unfriendly! No wonder they leave when they can.

We have Dutch friends (got to know them in Spain last year!) and this is their view too. Something I do like about the Dutch is their pioneering, where ever you go in a motorhome the Dutch have already been first! :D

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
or is it you havent traveled far yourself .
does seem the british m, homer doesnt really travel that well or far.
french , german , dutch etc are taking fwd motorhomes all the way to china these days . seems like uk ones will only go where theres an aire

Reactions: DBK
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We go to France every year and a friendly with a number of campsite owners. It is interesting that they tend to look forward to the English campers the most. Dutch campers have a very poor reputation for not spending any money at all. They will even bring their own milk for 2 weeks holiday rather than buy it from the campsite.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back