12 Volt Only Fridge Any Experience? (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
We are changing MH in 10 days and the new MH has a 12 volt fridge.
Does anyone have any experience of these?
Our current fridge is 3 way and we use it mostly off electric on gas which works great, no problems.
Concerned about this new modern pull out draw fridge as it only has a 12v option.
New van is Auto Trail V Line has a 100 w solar panel and one 110amp leisure battery, we could add another leisure battery if needed, but initial thoughts were we would try with just the one for now, well that was original thought until we realised about the fridge.
Hopefully they are super efficient so wont be a problem?

Any advice appreciated

Lin and Nige :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi lin and nige, I have a small 65l compressor fridge... when running it can draw a little over 4 amps.. the 100w solar just about copes with the fridge and my other electrical needs through the day but on a night I can go into deficit by up to 35 ah that's with the diesel heater and a bit of telly use as well.. I might recover some of that the next day if the weather is good ..
I have 2x110ah batteries and struggle if im away for more than 3/4 days without some other form of charging ie a good drive or running my genny...
so depending on your other electrical usage for heating /telly etc I think if you want to be off hook up for a few days another battery and another panel would be a good move if there is room ...your fridge will most probably be a bigger one than mine as well.. the good news is that a solar panel is well suited to a compressor fridge,, ie when the sun is shining you most probably need the fridge more but at least the panel produces...
ta andy

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you can just about get away with it in the summer if you don't watch a lot of TV and the sun keeps shining, otherwise you will struggle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Deleted User
It does have a 25l gas tank, so ok for heating and hot water on gas.
It baffling why when it comes with 25l gas tank the fridge wont work on gas like our current one does :(
The dealership quoted us about £250 to supply and fit 2nd battery so we held off ordering it.
I think will test for a few weeks if have a problem will look at adding a second battery.
We are spoiled with current van as we have solar panel, 2x leisure battery and 3 way fridge, but saying all that it may have been overkill, as we don't know how would have coped with only one battery, or no solar panel as never tried.
If off leccy we are usually moving every couple of days so it might be ok.
Looks like the option of not taking the leccy on overseas sites where they break down costs might be out for longer stays though.
Ps its 65 litre as well.

That's for info guys

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
it comes with 25l gas tank the fridge wont work on gas like our current one does :(

it will be a 12v compressor fridge, same as a domestic fridge, it's very efficient .. and I dare say less potential problems than 3 way fridges..
popular in overland 4x4 vehicles.. best suited to driving every other day rather than one place with no EHU

However, your set up should be fine is summer .. winter it will need an EHU or driving every day

Last edited:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
What Jim said in #5. our last van was an Autocruise Rhythm which had a Waeco compressor fridge...We'd never had one before in the five previous vans so we flapped and got ourselves into a bit of a tizz for no reason. Compressor Fridges are very efficient as has been said, but the bonus is not having to be vaguely level to get them to work properly when at standstill. We did have a third battery fitted and found that we could live off grid comfortably for 3 to 4 days. Hope this helps Millie.(y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Please remember that one 110amp leisure battery will only give you 55amps and then you will start to destroy the battery, so if your 12 volt fridge draws say 3amps and hour you might get 18 hours. There is however the rest of MH that needs to draw from the single battery...... ie lights, TV, radio, charging phones etc: so say total 8 amps = 6 hours before the battery reaches 50% discharged. Then you have to charge it again....... thats a good 5/6 hours drive or running a gene or using EHU for at least 24hrs ALL without drawing from the single battery whilst you charging it. Get a good solar panel around 140watts or more or get a B2B to fast charge the battery.
All a bit of a "gray" area for many MH owners as 95% drive into a camp site and use EHU.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks Bertie and Don, looks like a second battery is a must then.
Is £250 a reasonable cost for supply and fit?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp

That is far to much for a battery and fitting. Try: http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/ and for around 50/60 quid you can get a 110amp hour battery. Ask the people your buying the MH from where they would fit the battery and get them to show you, then after you collect it fit the thing yourself. There are loads of "guides" on here to help you.

OP
OP

Deleted User
I already asked. The current leisure battery is in the boot area within a locker, so I imagine easy to access (current van they are under cab seats). Worse case if can't fit in same locker could go outside the locker and box in as space to front.
Will look at doing ourselves :D

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Very good price imo but does depend on what battery you are getting, ours was a 110 Ah 'gel' to exactly match the second battery and to be able to fit it on it's side under the drivers seat. Worked a treat and cost about £ 20 more than you've been quoted Millie. I would advise that you check exactly what you're getting for your money unless it's your regular dealer.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Bertie, I would doubt it's "Gel" in a locker in the boot - waste of a "Gel" for venting!!!!!!..... but I agree you could be right, but still very costly.......

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Bertie, I would doubt it's "Gel" in a locker in the boot - waste of a "Gel" for venting!!!!!!..... but I agree you could be right, but still very costly.......

True!:eek: I'm not the sharpest pencil in the case.................Sorry Millie!:cry:

OP
OP

Deleted User
The existing battery is a Banner, maintenance free, not sure if that is gel?
Just spoken with dealer, 2nd would fit in locker as it's designed for two, we have gone with them fitting, it's going to be £230 with a discount. Decided on balance although more than doing it ourselves if they do it's guaranteed and as it's a new van should any problems arise once we road test it want to be certain can challenge them about stuff and worse case reject if the van is faulty. Sure the van will be fine, but always caution with brand new stuff and warranty as once used limits your rights to outright reject if turns out to be a dud. Don't want any reason for them to blame any potential faults or unrelated stuff on us.:)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
The existing battery is a Banner, maintenance free, not sure if that is gel?
Just spoken with dealer, 2nd would fit in locker as it's designed for two, we have gone with them fitting, it's going to be £230 with a discount. Decided on balance although more than doing it ourselves if they do it's guaranteed and as it's a new van should any problems arise once we road test it want to be certain can challenge them about stuff and worse case reject if the van is faulty. Sure the van will be fine, but always caution with brand new stuff and warranty as once used limits your rights to outright reject if turns out to be a dud. Don't want any reason for them to blame any potential faults or unrelated stuff on us.:)

Don't know either but I believe that Banner are one of the more reliable leisure batteries. I think a thread that @Techno100 was commenting on said that, Techno's the expert so maybe he'll be along and give you a proper steer.
Picked up our brand new van a month ago now...all our pre-pick up worries have vanished, there were no faults and we've been all over Wales in it. Wilding is a doddle with the solar....Can't wait to retire so we can get away semi-permanently!
Good luck with yours Millie, I bet it's a cracker!(y)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I also have an Autocruise with a 12v fridge. I had a second leisure battery fitted at the time of purchase And found I could last about 3 days. I now have a 100wt solar panel and so far this year - Peterborough show, I have had no problems. Also I do watch a fair bit of TV.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks Bertie, good to hear your new van is going great.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Is this the battery you have ?
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP

Deleted User
Not sure, van is at dealership being prepared for delivery, think it is though. We are paying more for dealer to do it I know, but it ensures there are no quibbles if we find any faults after delivery. Had it been a van we already owned and had run in, Nige would have done it himself.

Lin :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The compressor only runs as and when needed......not all the time.

It may run for a total of 30 to 40 minutes per hour so the 3amp rate wouls be neaer to 2 amps per hour.

Only open the door when needed, dont just open it because you got the munchies and want to browse the contents, and it may use less

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back