Gear box crunch (1 Viewer)

S

Smudger 41

Deleted User
Hi does anyone know about any problems relating to gear box crunching on fiat ducato engines.Our swift kon tiki has started to crunch only between first and second gear and brownhills have put down to driving style which we know is complete bull***t because it didnt do it when we first bought it a year ago....Help.......:Eeek:

OP
OP
S

Smudger 41

Deleted User
only does it from first to second

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like its the 2nd gear syncro hub thats worn but it should also do it from 3rd to 2nd.

next time out try double clutching.....

press the clutch as normal but only move to neutral....release and instantly press again and try to get 2nd.....must be done as one smoth movement

press, neutral, release, press, 2nd, release.....takes practice but if it goes in smoothly id say it was the syncro hub.

could also try engaging 2nd at standstill instead of 1st.....if it wont go in then see the top sentance.

OP
OP
S

Smudger 41

Deleted User
Thanks for the reply..Can get all gears and change down ok..Problem only happens when pulling off from 1st to 2nd it crunches....

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
try a long, slow change from 1st to 2nd to see if its any better.

my pickup does the same if i change too fast.

other than that im at a loss.:Sad:

blackie

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
N IRELAND
Funster No
MH
C/CLASS
Exp
10 YEARS
Gear crunch

thanks for the reply..can get all gears and change down ok..problem only happens when pulling off from 1st to 2nd it crunches....

had the same problem in bessacarr e560. Gear linkage fiat replaced 1/2/3/4 gear linkage. Blackie

blackie

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
N IRELAND
Funster No
MH
C/CLASS
Exp
10 YEARS
Gear crunch

thanks for the reply..can get all gears and change down ok..problem only happens when pulling off from 1st to 2nd it crunches....

only does it from first to second

you are right,it only done it when starting of first to second.it happened to us in portugal,get it fixed now .take it to fait. Regards blackie

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
My '04 ducato has crunched between 1st and 2nd for a long time. I've noticed that when the gearbox is cold it isn't so bad. I've learned to live with it and change gear gently while double de-clutching.
If you do find a solution I would be interested, though I don't think it can be the linkage and is more likely to be the synchro mesh.

Pete:Cool:

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
Use synthetic gearbox oil, you will be suprised the difference it will make to the gear selection.:Smile:

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Go for the easy option first, get your g-box oil changed... g-box oil works with syncro units to help speed em up and slow em down, syncro's/baulking rings don't work well without good oil... if it still does it get it into a garage... is it a year old model or have you owned it for a year. ???
Pete.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi does anyone know about any problems relating to gear box crunching on fiat ducato engines.Our swift kon tiki has started to crunch only between first and second gear and brownhills have put down to driving style which we know is complete bull***t because it didnt do it when we first bought it a year ago....Help.......:Eeek:

A year old van should not crunch, take it to your nearest Fiat service centre as it should still be under Fiat warranty.

Peter

OP
OP
S

Smudger 41

Deleted User
Thanks for all your replys the van is 53 plate we have had it a year..Blackie was it an expensive job to have done at the fiat garage Thanks for the email Let me know

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Sorry forgot to ask ealier.... does reverse engage ok and hows the clutch feel. ?? no excessive travel / or high clutch pedal ?? it all helps.

pete.

OP
OP
S

Smudger 41

Deleted User
Reverse engages fine and the clutch feels fine no juddering ....

mpope13

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Solihull
Funster No
MH
coach build
Exp
fiat ducato gear crunch

Hi I have this problem also. And mine does crunch when going in to reverse also.

it was fine when start up from cold but when coming off the motorway I struggle to get first anx second to engage at all not really a crunch for first and second but hard to select. Reverse is a hellova racket

any ideas

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi I have this problem also. And mine does crunch when going in to reverse also.

it was fine when start up from cold but when coming off the motorway I struggle to get first anx second to engage at all not really a crunch for first and second but hard to select. Reverse is a hellova racket

any ideas

that sounds like clutch adjustment.
Clutch not clearing properly or worn release bearing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back