Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I go for my 3 miles run most mornings and if we ever have a stay over guest I take advantage of a lift when they depart to give me a bit of a change of scene running home.

Just to fill in the background I live in a rural area and the occasional horse and rider are often encountered. It says on their vest "pass slow and wide" and I drop to 10 mph max and pass wide. If another vehicle is coming towards I wait till both lanes are clear so that I can go over to the other side.

Well, last Sunday my ex sister in law (2 wives ago) was heading for home having stayed overnight. The road is a 30 limit and some of it is downhill. I confess that I have done 35 down the hills simply because it feels daft to hold my foot on the brake to keep within the limit.

My sister in law does at least 50 mph and we came across a horse and rider, coming towards us was a Mercedes who didn't see any need to hug the kerb on his side. I could see us passing this horse with inches to spare at best and not the slightest reduction in speed.

The whole experience was so alien to me that I did shout out for her to slow and stop prior to the squeeze and she did. I need to mention that she did not share my anxiety and told me so.

I should also mention that I cycle a bit when the weather is nice. Within half a mile of the horse encounter we came across an identical situation with our needing to pass a cyclist with an approaching van on the other side.

I kept my gob shut tight and the cyclist lived to tell the tale.

Without mentioning names (coz I'm a coward) I have, on another occasion, yanked the steering wheel to the left to stop a collision when my driver was going to collide with an oncoming vehicle.

There again I was reprimanded. Should I keep my big fat gob shut and hope for the best or give in to my survival instincts?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It sounds like you and I both drive to an equally high moral standard

I am often horrified particularly when out in MH, most commonly coming up behind cyclists, but horses would be the same, if something is approaching I will wait, with indicator on to show those behind what I need to do. When clear I will pull over as far as sensible to pass, typically when checking my mirrors I will see the following vehicles virtually clip the arm of the cyclist as they pass, even though my MH is effectively blocking any approaching vehicle

It happens virtually every time the situation arises, beats me :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just keeping it in the "EX" family. :LOL:

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Don't really know what you should do...... but
and we're all dying to know.....
What were you up to with the ex-sister in law (2 wives ago) !
Christ, you're a glutton for punishment ! :rolleyes:
On second thoughts, don't answer that....
Us pair would probably only rip the arse out of any answer you attempt to give !.... LOL

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Don't really know what you should do...... but
and we're all dying to know.....
What were you up to with the ex-sister in law (2 wives ago) !
Christ, you're a glutton for punishment ! :rolleyes:
I still get on very well with my two ex wives and their corresponding siblings. In fact we are off for a 5 week holiday with the third sister and her hubby in one week's time to the East coast USA. During that trip we will meet wife number 2 in Kansas City and wife number one in Washington DC (she is on holiday from Vancouver). Neither of them ever remarried. In my opinion it was because they knew they could never be that lucky twice. They tell a slightly different tale along the lines of .... I'm not going through that again.

Funnily enough the sister who still lives in UK and comes over for supper every now and again is on the look out for a new chap. Not my cup of tea, she's hard work. She has kept herself in good nick (she's 67) and if any eligible divorcees or widowers want me to pass on a message, I will.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
I still get on very well with my two ex wives and their corresponding siblings. In fact we are off for a 5 week holiday with the third sister and her hubby in one week's time to the East coast USA. During that trip we will meet wife number 2 in Kansas City and wife number one in Washington DC (she is on holiday from Vancouver). Neither of them ever remarried. In my opinion it was because they knew they could never be that lucky twice. They tell a slightly different tale along the lines of .... I'm not going through that again.

Funnily enough the sister who still lives in UK and comes over for supper every now and again is on the look out for a new chap. Not my cup of tea, she's hard work. She has kept herself in good nick (she's 67) and if any eligible divorcees or widowers want me to pass on a message, I will.
LOL.....
Good lad.
No, the only high maintenance models I keep those days are fitted with a lycoming 220 horse engine !

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
where did I go wrong.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry to go back on topic:D, but I think the standard of driving in the UK when it comes to dealing with cyclists, horses etc. is absolutely atrocious.
I'd love to do a bit of cycling where I live( A442 between Kidderminster & Bridgnorth) but to do so around here would be tantamount to suicide.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Sorry to go back on topic:D, but I think the standard of driving in the UK when it comes to dealing with cyclists, horses etc. is absolutely atrocious.
I'd love to do a bit of cycling where I live( A442 between Kidderminster & Bridgnorth) but to do so around here would be tantamount to suicide.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Now were is my popcorn?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back