Lpg Systems (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
o_Oo_O:cautious:Has anyone got any views on which system is best to install GAS IT or Gaslow. Seems that GAS IT is much cheaper. I would prefer to not fit an external filler but i believe that some filling stations do not allow these to be used, has anyone ever been refused?
I am aware that LPG filling station are pretty much accessible all over Europe, this has prompted me to consider an installation as we spent most of out time touring Europe.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Gas-it Stako bottles are made in the same factory as the Gaslow ones in Poland.
We have Alugas a bit more expensive, well made German bottles and saves a bit of weight.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have gasit with the external filler point. Only used it a couple of times at the petrol stations and the last one I didn't know how to work it at the pump so the attendant did it for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
We have two bottles from Autogas 2000 much lighter, fitted by Dave Newell. Very good and pump gas prices much cheaper then bottled gas.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just fitted twin Gaslow 11kg R67 bottles , auto changeover valve with external filler ..
thread here.. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...-bottles-in-a-hymer-b644.106145/#post-1380359

The Gaslow R67 bottles have an automatic 80% shut off valve, over pressure relief valve, filter, excess flow valve that shuts off the gas in the event of a rupture, and new improved gauge.

The Gaslow R67 11kg Refillable Cylinder 1 is especially designed to meet the French R67 Gas Tank Standards. Gaslow have always held the view that the Gaslow Bottles are considered as "Cylinders" and therefore they are manfacturered to the cylinder standard EN1442:2006. Gaslow were not just alone as the UK LPGA also believed the same.

The French however, believe that refillables should be classified as tanks and that we should produce to the tank standard R67. This regulation applies to specific equipment of vehicles of category M and N1 using liquefied petroleum gases in their propulsion system.

For complete safety, the European Pi approved filler valves automatically shut off the gas when 80% capacity is reached - preventing dangerous overfilling.

• Multivalve with improved, mechanically accurate contents gauge.
  • Excess flow valve prevents full flow of gas if the hose ruptures.
  • Internal filter.
  • Over pressure safety device.
  • 10 year warranty (specified by the R67 standard).
  • 11kg size tested and approved to R67 standard.

There have been a few reports of LPG stations refusing to serve when the filler is inside the locker.. but not many.. I fitted outside, personal preference.. .. and it only entails drilling a 70mm hole in the skirt..

There are literally dozens of threads on fitting refillable bottles..
try a search

dscf1311-jpg.59416

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
We too have a gaslow system, it's now fitted in number 3 van, I always take it out before selling a van. I have the filler on the side of the van as this way hopefully filling won't be a problem. The only pain with our system is that it's pre gas level gauge on bottles but as we have an auto change over valve I can see when one bottle is empty. When travelling to Spain for the winter we have a Spanish bottle "empty" which when we arrive we exchange and use. That's because there are only a few gas refill points throughout Spain and a bottle of gas is just €18 or so at the campsite.

Wobby

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I put ours on the same side as the fuel filler to save messing about when we wanted fuel and gas. Plus a brace to stop the skirt flexing, had to bring it across the MoHo but worth the extra time.
image.jpg
image.jpg

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I don't think I am going to make the fix it meet. but if you are in my neck of the woods anytime. you can do mine. nice to hear from you Andy.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I don't think I am going to make the fix it meet. but if you are in my neck of the woods anytime. you can do mine. nice to hear from you Andy.
maybe transitmania in august....would be nice to catch up with you and rose again...
andy

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
A little over three years ago I did some assessment of the relative weights of refillable systems, although I didn't include Gas-it. At that time the percentage weight of gas to the overall weight of the gas and cylinder was 49% for Gaslow and 64% for Alugas for the 11kg cylinders. The weight of a full 11kg cylinder was 22.5kg for Gaslow but 17.3kg for Alugas.

That caused me to choose Alugas. I had one cylinder fitted by Dave Newell so I recommend going to Alugas in Thirsk who did an excellent job when I had the second one fitted a little while later.

Regardless of which you choose, I recommend going for refillable cylinders rather than exchangeable bottles.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
So pair of full steel bottles approx 10 kg more then alloy? Payload must be really tight to justify the cost difference I should think.... Incidently what is the price difference?

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
At the time I did this in May 2012 the price for a one bottle installation was virtually identical. I haven't included prices in this note because they're almost certainly out of date.

As to payload, the gas locker is next to the wine locker, so every little helps!

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The refillable system must be the way to go. If cost is the problem, start out with a single smaller bottle and keep your old propane, this is quite possible. You will always be able to fill up in any country or exchange your other bottle when in the UK. There are also second hand bottles for sale when people buy a newer van that already has re-fillable bottles. Other than the initial cost of a complete twin bottle set-up, I would be hard pressed to think of any disadvantages of having refillable bottles from whichever company you choose. I have Gaslow and a while back had a problem filling up (possibly my own fault), I visited Gaslow and without any argument, they exchanged the lot for new units for free. This kind of response earned my loyalty.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The refillable system must be the way to go. If cost is the problem, start out with a single smaller bottle and keep your old propane, this is quite possible. You will always be able to fill up in any country or exchange your other bottle when in the UK. There are also second hand bottles for sale when people buy a newer van that already has re-fillable bottles. Other than the initial cost of a complete twin bottle set-up, I would be hard pressed to think of any disadvantages of having refillable bottles from whichever company you choose. I have Gaslow and a while back had a problem filling up (possibly my own fault), I visited Gaslow and without any argument, they exchanged the lot for new units for free. This kind of response earned my loyalty.

Even though I have never used Gaslow due to cost on both systems I have installed. I can vouch for support as they where very quick getting a new none trauma Cleese regulator to me in Spain a few years ago when 2nd trauma failed (spellin intentional!:))

had twin bottles on previous van and wett for singe on his van with calor backup. Its fine, but if you spend a lot of time in Spain I would fit the two as LPG stations few and far between.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Did my own gaslo installation with one 11 kg bottle & external filler on the skirt.
Had it safety checked when Dave Newell did our first hab service just in case.
It's been a godsend , right up there with our solar system, wouldn't be without a refillable option.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I work in the renewables industry and know for a fact that LPG is the most expensive form of energy in the country at this time and I put the blame 100% on Calor Gas. Flo Gas came in much cheaper but thought bollocks to it and put theirs up to match Calor instead of Calor dropping their prices. Check out the receipt picture I posted, to fill the same size bottles from Calor were £24.50 for the 6kg and 44.50 for the 11kg. Total to fill from empty £20 and some pennies and the garage I went isn't the cheapest around but it was open late on Saturday tea time.

OP
OP
Petros
Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Is Gas It systems acceptable in Europe as they are not R67 compliant?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back