LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
first to those bored with sat nav queries, my apologies.

Given the extra cost of truck and camper sat navs compared to the 6100 car sat nav with inclusive cams, traffic etc via inbuilt SIM card can a car variant sat nav be used successfully as a camper/truck version by adding POIs for bridges etc.

That's assuming you don't excersise the option of ignoring selected routes based on not fancying the look of it.

Spoke to tomtom support and was not convinced there is much real difference.

Thoughts and any comparison runs would be appreciated.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
People who have forked out for the 'Camper' model have spoken about it with enthusiasm. I only have the car version but you can add offline, all sorts of extra features regarding height of bridges or types of road that should fairly well cover most needs. On the other hand I have been caught out a couple of times when faced with bridges that only a car could squeeze under or been sent to a road only suitable for a tractor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Your question is very difficult to answer as most if not all, will only have one or the other. I have the Camper model and keep it up to date with latest maps and live services and I'm satisfied with the service although I think the cost of new maps and live services expensive.
There you go, still non the wiser after this response, me thinks !

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have no experience of TomTom but have had both car and Truck versions of Garmin. I much prefer the Truck version as it provides useful large vehicle warnings about the route and takes account of the weight and dimensions of the motorhome. I would not bother with a so-called 'Camper' version. From what I can see (and certainly in the case of Garmin) it is a truck model with camping POI files pre-installed. You can download those free anyway and choose the ones you want.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
first to those bored with sat nav queries, my apologies.

Given the extra cost of truck and camper sat navs compared to the 6100 car sat nav with inclusive cams, traffic etc via inbuilt SIM card can a car variant sat nav be used successfully as a camper/truck version by adding POIs for bridges etc.

That's assuming you don't excersise the option of ignoring selected routes based on not fancying the look of it.

Spoke to tomtom support and was not convinced there is much real difference.

Thoughts and any comparison runs would be appreciated.

Jeez....You actually got through to and actually talked to Tom Tom support.............You are my hero! But I have to admit to being one who finally dealt with his very basic Tom Tom with a 2lb Lump Hammer on the garage floor after being sent down one dead-ender too many! I still remember the pleasure received on finally seeing it in many, many pieces!:D
Good Luck

OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Thanks one and all. I'd rather suspected that the answer would be less than definitive but thought worth a try.

Someone may have spent time comparing results. Next plan down the library to read the latest which reports in the vague and uncertain hope.
Also look at Mentaliss suggestion.

was surprised to get through to tomtom with only a minute wait. Was a Friday afternoon I think.

Cheers

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Thanks one and all. I'd rather suspected that the answer would be less than definitive but thought worth a try.

Someone may have spent time comparing results. Next plan down the library to read the latest which reports in the vague and uncertain hope.
Also look at Mentaliss suggestion.

was surprised to get through to tomtom with only a minute wait. Was a Friday afternoon I think.

Cheers

I'm in a awe that you talked to someone still! However, I have got Co Pilot on my phone. At £19 for UK & Ireland not cheap and definitely not foolproof despite the camper option. However, if you have a tablet or a smart phone the free version is worth a try to see if it suits! Good Luck:)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
t/t tried to put me in a field in Spain. on to a dirt track on the opposite side of the m/way.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Your question is very difficult to answer as most if not all, will only have one or the other. I have the Camper model and keep it up to date with latest maps and live services and I'm satisfied with the service although I think the cost of new maps and live services expensive.
There you go, still non the wiser after this response, me thinks !

Tom Tom camper for me- hasn't led me astray yet including visits to Spain and France.

Tomtom camper for me, agree with both above.
Steve

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I got my TomTom Via upgraded to camper version
Ask customer support to advise which Other models you can do this with

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We managed for 7 1/2 years while ful timing with a tag axle burstner only using a car tomtom and map all over Europe. Just use a map as forward planning. Simple

steve & ann.

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
I've just downloaded and installed the Europe Camper map on my three-year-old car TomTom for £90. It enables me to input vehicle dimensions and has 1,000s of camp sites and POIs.

OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Cheers.

Interesting but looks like the tomtom camper and possible the truck navs are discontinued. Trying to find if later model expected anytime soon.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Android phone ? Download "Campercontact" £3.50 with offline maps, use that in conjunction with "Cheapie Chinese ebay truck sat nav ". and you have everything you'd ever wish for. Do update your maps, free, so "Kate" won't get her knickers in a twist. (y)

You only need to update maps for Europe in particular Germany, UK dosen't fix or build roads we just cone parts of them off and then do nothing. Money is dripping away tho.

Last edited:

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Tom Tom Camper /Caravan model is worth the money IMO you pay for what you get.
Mate bought cheep ebay one was ok but had a few wrong routes had to do three point turns in unsuitable roads.
So far one error on Tom Tom my fault correct post code picked wrong road also live updates creat.
Screen and road graphics the main reason i bough so easy to follow.
Jim

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Tom Tom Camper 1005 for use. Tried Snooper before buying this one but really didn't like it, perhaps because we'd been used to Tom Tom but definitely think this is much better.

Denise

Millie's Mum and Dad

Free Member
Aug 11, 2014
Funster No
MH
2008 Swift Bolero 630EW
Exp
Caravanning for 30 years, motorhome beginners
I've just downloaded and installed the Europe Camper map on my three-year-old car TomTom for £90. It enables me to input vehicle dimensions and has 1,000s of camp sites and POIs.
We're looking at either upgrading our satnav to the Aguri that's being advertised in the current mags with £50 off or buying the Europe Camper map for our existing TomTom Via 135. Does anyone have any recent experience of either and what are your views?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We're looking at either upgrading our satnav to the Aguri that's being advertised in the current mags with £50 off or buying the Europe Camper map for our existing TomTom Via 135. Does anyone have any recent experience of either and what are your views?
Sure somebody on here was selling an Aguri a week or two back but maybe it's gone now?:unsure:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
but today got Garmin 760 lmt

We've got one and pre-plan using Garmin BaseCamp and find it excellent. Others have a different opinion though!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I too pay for the Tom Tom map updates and again for their services. I have now come to the conclusion that it is cheaper in the long term to buy s brand new Garmin camper and caravan with the free lifetime map and speed camera updates. Will be selling my Tom Tom after I return to the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back