New Tom Tom Or Garmin Free Maps (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I notice that most of the latest Garmin and Tom Toms come with free lifetime updates of Western Europe and the asking price can be as low as £70, yet if I want updates I must pay for them, even though I paid far more than the current models cost. Is it not time to offer free updates for all or are they still making a lot of money out of selling updates? In my case, the cost of updates can be close to the price of a new machine.

Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
Yes, yes. Agree with your post. It has been getting to me every time I update my T T. This is my 3rd unit and have always paid for updates on all of them including traffic info. Each unit has also been best At the time so T T have had plenty of my cash.
Keep on hoping for your wish but I suspect it will be another new unit.
Hope they sort out the POI issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
3 yrs ago,on our way to Dover,prior to a 3 mth trip in France and Spain, our Mio packed up ! we went into Dover and bought a Garmin with lifetime updates at Halfords-it's still going strong and the best we've had.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I am still getting 'free' updates for my 3 year old Garmin but have noted that the updates are not offerred too often.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hi all,
Does anyone know where I can buy the updates? Specifically any deals. I have a zumo 660 this is a motorcycle specific Garmin that cost over £300 4 years ago so do not really want to buy another.

Thanks Glenn

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Hi all,
Does anyone know where I can buy the updates? Specifically any deals. I have a zumo 660 this is a motorcycle specific Garmin that cost over £300 4 years ago so do not really want to buy another.

Thanks Glenn

You need to download Garmin Express and the updates will be offered to you

Cheers

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I am still getting 'free' updates for my 3 year old Garmin but have noted that the updates are not offerred too often.
I don't recall them being offered-I connect to Garmin just before a trip and check to see whats available.Sometimes it's just a firmware update,often it's a map update.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Does any body know if you can download a truck nav on Tom Tom cos now I`ve bought a Fleetwood
it`s a bit wider than my Transit and I worry about gettin stuck:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I don't recall them being offered-I connect to Garmin just before a trip and check to see whats available.Sometimes it's just a firmware update,often it's a map update.
They are being 'offered' to you in the sense that you can decline them:rolleyes:

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Does any body know if you can download a truck nav on Tom Tom cos now I`ve bought a Fleetwood
it`s a bit wider than my Transit and I worry about gettin stuck:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I got a TT Start 25 a few years ago but after the first year free updates ran out I left it go out of date for over a year. Last September I decided to buy an update package and was offered the choice of a Europe 45 update in either standard for or camper form.
IIFC the standard was about €60 and the Camper was about €90 so I went for the Camper.
I now have a camper satnav for a lot less than the cost of a new one off the shelf, it also came with the MHF and NKC Aires and ACSI sites installed

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My Garmin 2547 was under £100 and has free lifetime mapping. Importantly it also allows you to download 3rd party POI...not all cheap ones do!

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Rekerly

Just to advise that Tomtom enabled the ability to load 3rd Party POI files onto the Go series units in their last update at the end of April.

You cannot at the moment create a new category or add a new POI to an existing category on the unit itself. The POI files are listed in My Places and if you select one the unit lists the nearest 60 POI places. You can Search the POI folder by typing in the POI name or by the name of a Village or Town. At the moment you cannot load a .bmp file so that a POI place has a recognisable icon on the map but I think that is likely to be available in a future update.

Regarding maps and updates. Tomtom have introduced new models and these have free World Maps with lifetime and Traffic updates. Please note the Traffic facility is only available for the region, ie Europe, you bought the unit in. These new units are the same price as their previous similar units were.

Doug

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Got the dezl 540 that came with lifetime updates....which means updates are offered 4 times each year...that was my understanding... still have to log into the gamin site and check if they have made updates available...
There are sometimes software updates available to download so it's worth creating an account ie register the device and look in every once in a while...
Ta andy
P's the map updates can take a long time to install so give yourself plenty of time .think it was an hour or more...

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I notice that most of the latest Garmin and Tom Toms come with free lifetime updates of Western Europe and the asking price can be as low as £70, yet if I want updates I must pay for them, even though I paid far more than the current models cost. Is it not time to offer free updates for all or are they still making a lot of money out of selling updates? In my case, the cost of updates can be close to the price of a new machine.

Not really understanding this post as I have a Garmin Nuvi 660t quite a few years now paid for lifetime updates when I bought it and never had any problems updating 4 times a year, have (yesterday) just done the latest European update using Garmin Express, which is an excellent program, tells you how much space left on the memory etc etc.

Money well spent for us.

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Not really understanding this post as I have a Garmin Nuvi 660t quite a few years now paid for lifetime updates when I bought it and never had any problems updating 4 times a year, have (yesterday) just done the latest European update using Garmin Express, which is an excellent program, tells you how much space left on the memory etc etc.

Money well spent for us.

My TomTom Go750 is around 3 tears old now and I paid over £150 for it. Not that expensive I agree and that was on special offer at the time. Shortly afterwards for the same price or less, a lifetimes map upgrades was offered. Today I could buy a 7" Garmin with lifetime upgrades for £70, yet I must still go on shelling out each year more money, for the same upgrades on my ageing machine while they are giving away the same upgrades free, to cheaper units.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
I have a garmin nuvi with lifetime updates but would not buy another garmin, for some reason it does not like cornwall and does not seem to know left from right sometimes

Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
Hi Rekerly

Just to advise that Tomtom enabled the ability to load 3rd Party POI files onto the Go series units in their last update at the end of April.

You cannot at the moment create a new category or add a new POI to an existing category on the unit itself. The POI files are listed in My Places and if you select one the unit lists the nearest 60 POI places. You can Search the POI folder by typing in the POI name or by the name of a Village or Town. At the moment you cannot load a .bmp file so that a POI place has a recognisable icon on the map but I think that is likely to be available in a future update.

Regarding maps and updates. Tomtom have introduced new models and these have free World Maps with lifetime and Traffic updates. Please note the Traffic facility is only available for the region, ie Europe, you bought the unit in. These new units are the same price as their previous similar units were.

Doug[/QU
Hi Doug, thanks for the information. I am aware that extra options are being made available. However the model I currently use has full facility to install POI,s .
The current option is keep paying for updates or purchase new. If new the POI becomes an issue..
I will look out for further info on updates or new models. Thanks again.
Rex

Reactions: DJA
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I have a garmin nuvi with lifetime updates but would not buy another garmin, for some reason it does not like cornwall and does not seem to know left from right sometimes

How strange your Garmin struggles in Cornwall, Chris my wife comes from Falmouth so we spend a lot of time down there and have found quite reliable even in the most remote areas.

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
had problems with it two years ago in cornwall and have just been again and still had some issues. in Newquay it told me to turn right when I knew it should be left but sorted itself out after a few seconds and sometimes if you turn where it tells you it then says recalculating also had problems in other places with it saying turn when you just follow the road round the corner bur don't turn off, yesterday it said take second exit at roundabout but should have said first but showed correct road on display. I thought problems two years ago were because my broadband took ages to load the updates but last time I did it was a lot quicker,
I have the citroen trafficmaster system in my van and although I don't use it much it seems much better but the screen is a bit small and it costs about £120 per year subscription.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back