LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We still have the stowaways on board. See here for the full story.

Sitting out a bit of a storm at Cite Europe before going onto the Gravelines area for our last two nights and we are still picking the little blitters off.

Anyone know at a product that we can safely use in the van to repel them?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You need one of these :D(y)

maxresdefault.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Sugar and bicarb mixed, never used it so cant say but someone told me sugar attracts them and bicarb blows them up!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Assuming they are not actually nesting, which given how you "caught" them seems unlikely then they will eventually just die of old age, which depending on the species might be only a few weeks away - or longer. :)

You could try starving them - but you will have to wash out every cupboard and ensure that all loose food and especially sugar has been thoroughly removed.

The proprietary ant killers work by them taking the stuff back to their nest which isn't going to work here.

I can only suggest continued application of the vacuum cleaner and if you can suffer it repeated squirts of something like RAID.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Sitting out a bit of a storm at Cite Europe before going onto the Gravelines area for our last two nights and we are still picking the little blitters off.

They will eventually die off , can't breed anymore if the queens gone, envious of your stop tonight, love gravelines, first and last stop every time we go over, pmu in the square for a jar or two then accross to rudys restaurant on the harbour.
Bourbourg market tomorrow if you are interested in such things:)

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Here in Spain, I swear by "Insectrón" which is sold at the Chemist.
It combats all creeping insects by contact. It's invisible, inalterable and does not stain. You just spray on a line around the floor edges and skirting board areas which leaves a dull, lacquer type mark which should be left 48 hours before mopping the floor. When the insect walks across the mark ..... that's it! They soon die but after they have returned to their nest! The others then eat the dead body and they too die. It says it shouldn't be used on wood or other porous material but I've used it on parquet and it has been very successful! One treatment lasts 12 months! They may have it in France too. It's made by:

Quimiopen S.L.
Calle Cadmio 2,
Arganda del Rey,
28500 Madrid.

Good luck! (y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Damn. Should have logged on over lunch - which we were eating in the mh section of Cite Europe car park when you posted that.

Now mid-channel. Ok out here this evening. We were at Gravelines last night.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Damn. Should have logged on over lunch - which we were eating in the mh section of Cite Europe car park when you posted that.

Now mid-channel. Ok out here this evening. We were at Gravelines last night.

I did see a Brit Globe Car, must have been you. I had a quick look at the Brit vans for a Funster sticker but the weather was particularly bad then, it was all I could do to keep the trolley straight. We were in the Hymer 644 with two kayaks on the roof, if you noticed it.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
They will eventually die off , can't breed anymore if the queens gone, envious of your stop tonight, love gravelines, first and last stop every time we go over, pmu in the square for a jar or two then accross to rudys restaurant on the harbour.
We decided on a discreet bit of camping in the countryside in the end, along with two other vans, it's as quiet as can be, apart from the howling wind, but at least the sun is out now.
image.jpg

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have had a problem in house with ants in the kitchen (now what am I suposed to do la la:)) since march? Still here since I returned from spain! Have spread loads of ant powder without luck:(

Any ideas appreciated!

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Do you stop at a campsite in Gravelines or is there an aire? Just looking online I can see a couple of campsites, any recommendations?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Stayed at gravelines Aire last Thursday ...I like it as its peaceful....7 Euro now. Road works in town square now completed

Reactions: SMB

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Sugar and bi carb is right but castor sugar as it is fine like the bi carb

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
From my experience ants don't like lemon/lemon juice, don't know if it is practical to use lemon wipes etc. in as many places as possible. They leave trails for their pals to follow and the lemon destroys it. Good luck. (y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I did see a Brit Globe Car, must have been you. I had a quick look at the Brit vans for a Funster sticker but the weather was particularly bad then, it was all I could do to keep the trolley straight. We were in the Hymer 644 with two kayaks on the roof, if you noticed it.
Dark red one - yes, that was us. I didn't see your van, but I've just described it to Jane & she did see you, but she was sitting in the van while I was doing battle with the trolley. Those plastic mesh sided ones present too much surface area to the wind - definite crab-like progression across the car park. The funster sticker was still partly obscured by the Gravelines aire ticket, which was sharing the tax disc holder. I forgot to take it out until we were back in the UK.

Now parked up at the Canterbury New Dover Road Park & Ride. It's just about full here tonight, which is good to see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Ok, mixed results. I only had baking soda and brown sugar in the van so I mixed a teaspoon of each with a bit of water and after it stopped fizzing I put the tub on the bathroom floor.

Within 10 minutes there were 2 ants around the tub but not in the mixture. We had dinner and checked again, there must have been 20 to 30 ants all milling round the tub but none in the mixture. So although it didn't kill them direct it bought them nicely together to get sprayed. :devil:

I will go shopping tomorrow for icing sugar and bicarbonate of soda.
Thanks to all for the suggestions and ideas to get rid of them, will keep you posted.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I wouldn't mix it with water - just put put down as a powder as you want the ants to take the powders and the fizz to go on inside them. Baking powder should work and I'd use icing sugar I think. Just put a little down (on a piece of paper??) and see what happens.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp

Hi Sandra, can't help with the ant problem but we will be in Gravelines on Weds afternoon. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back