Wells Somerset (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Leaving Glastonbury tommorow the heading to Wells to look around. Any idea where I can safely leave my 8 metre van ?

Thanks in advance Paul

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@PORKSTER

Hi, just wondering how you went on with the free night? .......and what do you think of the site, is it walkable into Glastonbury please?
Cheers
Deb:)

OP
OP
PORKSTER
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Site is realy nice first class the new amenity block is out of this world. It is walkable to Glastonbury but hilly.

Glastonbury wasn't for us so we took a taxi ride to Street. And did some retail therapy and ate in Frankie and Benny's I found Taxi rank and negotiated a £10 trip back to site.

We also walked from site up to the Tor great views but basicly we've been chilling and dodging rain and wind. £27 for 2 nights just asked for free night offer what's not to like.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 66
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I've used the car park at the Mountery Road/Whiting Way junction (at least, that's what Google Maps calls them) a couple of times. Always been other campervans/motorhomes parked there, but I can't remember if there were any large-motorhome-sized parking bays.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Site is realy nice first class the new amenity block is out of this world. It is walkable to Glastonbury but hilly.

Glastonbury wasn't for us so we took a taxi ride to Street. And did some retail therapy and ate in Frankie and Benny's I found Taxi rank and negotiated a £10 trip back to site.

We also walked from site up to the Tor great views but basicly we've been chilling and dodging rain and wind. £27 for 2 nights just asked for free night offer what's not to like.

Looks great we are going there on the 15 th may. Looking forward to it even more now.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
At this site at the moment, got here yesterday WOW it's a very nice site, yes it's expensive but it's 5 star, big pitches, plenty of room, the new shower block is hotel 5 star quality every one is friendly. Walked into Glastonbury from site, had a mooch around, plenty of ageing hippies from the 60's and 70's still wondering around all the shops selling the same stuff crystals, Wizards, fairy so etc. found a great pub (who'd have thought it) that's the name of the pub good food good beer. Back on site now. Walking up the Tor tomorrow. If you want to spoil yourself for a weekend or as a treat it's a good place to be.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Which site are we talking about please? Roughly how far is it in to Glastonbury - I'm not a very good walker. :)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We live here, between Glastonbury and Wells...sometimes wonder why we go away, love it!!!::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Which site are we talking about please? Roughly how far is it in to Glastonbury - I'm not a very good walker. :)
Site is called The old oaks, to walk into Glastonbury is about 2 miles from the site through the lanes. Hill to start, we got a cab back from the town after the pub which was £8. They have a mini bus which goes in the evening from the site at 7pm and comes back at 10.30 which is £4.25 each if you just wanted to go in evening.

Reactions: f6c
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
@Mikey RV - thanks very much for the helpful information. Bit too far for me to walk unfortunately. That's useful to know about the minibus. :smiley:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
To be fair The Old Oaks site is probably the best site we have ever stayed at, toilet amenities are just fantastic, 8 separate bathrooms, though they also have communal showers.
They even have a hot and cold shower for the dogs at the end of the dog walk.
Site is well manicured lots of flowers and always immaculate.
They have their own fishing lake which is well stocked with safe platforms to fish from, suits rods swell as poles.
The walk into Glastonbury is a bit of a task but worth walking up the Tor if you have the energy.

As for parking in Nearby Wells, there is a coach/ lorry park but the last time we were there the local council had erected a sign stating Motorhomes and caravans not welcome which was enough for us to take ourselves and our spending money elsewhere.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
As for parking in Nearby Wells, there is a coach/ lorry park but the last time we were there the local council had erected a sign stating Motorhomes and caravans not welcome which was enough for us to take ourselves and our spending money elsewhere.

Sadly, the powers that be here in Wells don't like the cars parking, let alone motorhomes. We now have paid parking in all the City car parks, limiting parking for up to 3 hours so visitors who wish to visit the Cathedral, Bishops Palace, Vicars Close and have a bite to eat and a pint as well as some shopping and looking around the City don't have the time. As a tip, Lidl and Morrison's allow up to 3 hours for free and they are only a short walk from the City Centre. Don't even try the bus station or bus depot...( no lorry park) you will get a ducking in the moat!!
It's a real shame as Wells has a lot to offer the visitors.
If you want to come and stay the night then Wells Holiday Park, just on the outskirts, is a good site to stay in.
http://wellsholidaypark.co.uk
Regards. Pete

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Have stayed on wells holiday park before. Really nice site and can walk into wells from there. Even better site now it's adults only. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back